Fantasy Football tournament 18/19 - now live!

Running around and stuff.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Fantasy Football tournament 18/19 - now live!

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm

I'll be honest, I underestimated your team initially, mainly because it has so, so many defenders playing, but you've clocked up some highly impressive scores in the past few weeks. The midfielders you do have are two of the best in the league.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:35 pm

I know nothing about football as shows by me picking almost all defenders and a ton of goalies. I'm as surprised as you are mate :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:42 pm

:lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:05 am

Intriguing set of match-ups this weekend, as it's a battle of the Boots' vs the Medicines.

I take on MM as he'll look to recover from his mauling at the hands of a wild Animal, while Mrs MM will probably feel justifiably confident taking on the collective might of Hertfordshire's finest.

Meanwhile, Animal will be sinking his claws into Wrathbone... can WB do anything to stem the tide?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Spoiler alert, but MM is beating me like a red-headed stepchild this week... :(

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:21 am

It's early days Sly.

I'm certainly not counting any chickens after the previous weeks performances.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 am

They say you always become the thing you hate.

And seeing as MM hated being absolutely thrashed last week, so in turn this week he hands out an absolute thrashing to yours truly. MM wins our bout 190 to 127. :cry:

Animal, his violent rage apparently sated by feasting on MM's flyblown corpse last week, has a strangely subdued round, being comfortably beaten by league leader Wrathbone. 174 to 144.

Mrs Boots tries, she really does, but there's something about drawing your entire team exclusively from a single club that makes you oddly beholden to that club's results. Watford could only manage a draw this weekend, and consequently Mrs Boots doesn't even manage that, succumbing to Mrs MM 124 to 144.

A poor showing by the Boots' this week. As a result I've fired half my team in ignoble disgrace. I look forward to my new intake failing me miserably in the next round, while my sackees, being freed from the weight of my overbearing management style, gleefully bag massive points. Such is the life of a fantasy manager.

A quick glance at the table shows that WB is still out in front at the top 5 wins out of 6, but Mrs MM is maintaining a strong pursuit with her 4/0/2 record. The chasing midtable pack includes myself, MM and Animal, while Mrs Boots has selflessly accepted the role of wooden spoon and therefore saved anyone else that humiliation.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:34 am

Another exciting week in fantasy football land.

It's a happy house up here this week, but how long will it last? Ma Boots has got to break her duck sooner or later and I have a nasty feeling that it's going to happen this week against yours truly.

I cant help feeling Sly that your mass player cull may have been a tad hasty, but you've got to speculate to accumulate I suppose. Fingers crossed for us all going into the next round of fixtures.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:24 pm

I can't help it. I may have the birthplace of a southerner, but my highlands roots have made me a man of strong celtic passions. It may occasionally be mistaken for petulance, however.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pm

It wouldn't be fantasy football without the obligatory toys out the pram moment. :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 pm

I'll be honest: the reason I haven't changed my roster is because I have no idea what I'm doing, but now I think that tactic may be the way to go. :P

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 pm
I'll be honest: the reason I haven't changed my roster is because I have no idea what I'm doing, but now I think that tactic may be the way to go. :P
This

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:34 am

It's round 7 and some interesting match-ups again. On paper there should be at least two walkovers, but as recent results have shown these things can be notoriously hard to predict.

The first pairing sees me take on runaway league leader Wrathbone, and after my recent Night of the Long Knives I don't really have any idea how my new-look team is going to perform. On paper WB should win this easily, but I need to get points on the board or start to get left behind.

The next pairing is even more one-sided on paper, with title hopeful MM taking on the collective might of a Watford team playing away at Arsenal this weekend. It could get messy, although sometimes the nature of the scoring in this competition means a team who is right up against it actually scores quite highly, being forced to make more tackles and saves. It looks like a long shot, but can Mrs Boots finally register her first points of the season?

Then the final pairing looks pretty even to me, a lot depends on whether Eden Hazard can ruin Liverpool's day for the second time in this week, if so then Animal might just have the measure of Mrs MM here.

Good luck everyone (except WB ;))!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:46 am

I don't need luck when I've got....

...wait, luck is literally the only thing I have going for me with this. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:51 am

:lol: