The F1 thread

Running around and stuff.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The F1 thread

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:46 am

I agree that playing rough is a valid and arguably key part of a championship winner’s mindset. The problem with Verstappen is that he takes that mindset to a level of stubbornness where he’d rather DNF than concede a corner. Hamilton has made similar moves in the past but he seems to have found a more reasonable balance in recent years, waiting for the right moment rather than charging at every marginal gap with no intention of backing out if it proves to be daft.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:27 am

True, although Hamilton has had a lot more experience to get to that point, Verstappen is still only 23 lets not forget.

The drivers mindset and psyche is so key to their performance, something that the Netflix F1 Drive to Survive show really showcases. Sure the show is quite heavily storyboarded but it still shines a light on how if drivers get in their own heads even just a little their performance can drop off a cliff. Gasly is a perfect example.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

eny

Post by eny » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Another brilliant and exciting race, gutted for our lad - such a close call decision so close to the end, but that's racing. Another milestone ticked off, and some great drives all through the field. =D>
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:38 pm

I am absolutely gutted, but what a fantastic end to the race. My heart was pounding for those last ten or so laps. Had the rain stayed away, I think Lando had a good chance of winning as Lewis had really struggled to get past the other McLaren. He'd have had a good chance had they pitted at the same time too.

I completely lost track with what happened to Max as I was so glued to the fight for first; as far as I was concerned he was still somewhere back in 6th or 7th until Lando started to struggle, and then suddenly he was second? Wha? Did everyone between Max and Lewis fail to pit for inters?

This year just keeps delivering excellent races, even at venues I usually really dislike.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:25 pm

:cry:
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am

So gutted for Lando, team really let him down by giving him the wrong information about the weather. Verstappan continues to be lucky, really looking like he is fated to win the championship this year, being able to change engines and make it back to second is such a huge advantage. With the better car and Hamilton likely having to take an engine penalty at some stage he is odds on to win now.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:17 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am
So gutted for Lando, team really let him down by giving him the wrong information about the weather.
It really was a poor call from McLaren to give Lando the choice of coming in or staying out. Hamilton also sounded like he wanted to stay out but Mercedes insisted he pitted because it looked like more rain was coming and it wasn’t worth the risk. McLaren should have just told him to pit rather than asking him.

Still, hindsight and all that. Lando is going to rue his “NO!” response. :(

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:35 am

It's one of those decisions where you either look a fool or a hero, and sadly it was the former on this occasion. I'm sure he'll get another opportunity though, McLaren are clearly on their way back to the front.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:18 am

McLaren have come out and said they read the weather wrong as they thought it was going to remain the same in terms of just being light rain not the downpour that it became. That's why they didn't insist that Norris come in like Mercedes did.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 am

Should never have hired Michael Fish. #-o

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:43 am

Ah, fair enough, that makes Lando's "No!" make far more sense. He knew he could drive the conditions at the time.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:57 pm

Nary even a mention of Lulu's continued record-smashing?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 pm

I think it's been so inevitable that he'd take that hundredth win this year that it's barely worth discussing, but you're right, it's a hell of a stat. At what point do we start considering him the most successful driver of all time I wonder. Does he have to get an eighth championship, or has he already surpassed Schumacher?

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 am

Statistically he is now the greatest because of the wins and poles. But if he can get the eighth, I don't think it can be denied any longer.

Like Schumacher, it'll probably take a decade at least for the people who hated the dominance to go "I quite liked that guy actually". Probably when Maxs arrogance gets on everyone's nerves.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 am

Looking at that list does anyone else think Vettel sticks out like a sore thumb?