Currently Reading

For your eyes and ears.
Maturin

Re: Currently Reading

Post by Maturin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:07 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:55 am
Makes appreciate how good first law was by following it up with Artemis by Andy Weir. What a annoying bag of shite. 100 years in the future our main character is a Star Trek fan girl that’s a genius and is also super sexy and mildly promiscuous. Even though it’s100 years in the future she sure only makes contemporary references and is super forced sassy. Mixed in with this super shite character development is some decent grounded Martian style science and a fairly well thought out moon city. Is such a pity the rest is such trash. I mean…. a continuing thing is trying to get her to try out a washable reusable condom. :roll:

I’ve no said “oh fuck off” at a book so much since The Life and Loves of a She Devil.
You'd love Peter Hamilton. :lol:

Brilliant large-scale science fiction storytelling littered with hilarious Carry On film levels of sexy times with fit voluptuous women. I'm actually usually very forgiving with that sort of thing in both books and films, but even for me it was getting hilarious at times with Hamilton.

The thing with books is that they are the author's creation entirely, containing their strengths and weaknesses, warts and all.

It's like the First Law trilogy I don't personally rate that highly. I think Abercrombie's overall storytelling is weak but his characterisation is pretty good.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:47 pm

Maturin wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:07 pm
The thing with books is that they are the author's creation entirely, containing their strengths and weaknesses, warts and all.
Which always makes me wonder about the massive dod of pedo stuff in Kings work :-&

I dont think First Law was perfect, I really hated the uhm.... reaction to the engagement in the third book and I think it did "I'm deed, no way out, certain dea....OHLASTMINSAVE!" a bunch too much. Overall though, really good.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:55 pm

Consider Phlebas

Unless I've missed something, at no point in this book does it tell you who or what a Phlebas is, and why one should consider it.

Other than that it was a pretty entertaining read. It gets a little strange in the middle with the bit on the island, but after that it moves at a good pace, and the final few chapters are pretty exciting. It feels a little like TNG-era Star Trek but told from the perspective of the Romulans; it's a little morally ambiguous with no side depicted as the good guys.

Regarding the ending:
Spoiler
Wow, that ending was great but a massive downer. I kept thinking after Yalson died that there was going to be some twist involving the Mind bringing her back or saving her, but no, literally all of the CAT's crew die including the protagonist. I didn't know anything about the series heading into this other than it was well regarded, so had no idea that Horza wasn't going to be a recurring character. Are all of the stories separate?
I'm considering leaping straight into the follow up, Player of Games, but as that's already two sci-fis in a row, I may grab The Blade Itself for a re-read.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:03 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:55 pm
Consider Phlebas

Unless I've missed something, at no point in this book does it tell you who or what a Phlebas is, and why one should consider it.
Apparently it's a direct quote from a TS Eliot poem, as is the follow-up.

Not sure why it's relevant in regard to the book, but there you go.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:24 pm

Consider Phlebas is good, but the series really comes into its own from the second book onwards. Player of Games and Use of Weapons are two absolutely fantastic sci-fi classics.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:36 pm

I read up a little on the series after posting that, and it did seem the consensus was that Player of Games was the better book. I think that confirmation has settled it, and I'm going to grab that next.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:17 pm

Aye, Phlebas is somewhat of an outlier in the series in some aspects. It's great, but it can be a bit of a mad journey. I think the rest of the series, from what I've read, is generally more solidified storytelling.

I'd recommend sticking to the publication order as much as you can, even though they are generally set hundreds of years apart. I've got two left to read, Inversions and Matter, as they seemed the less interesting to me when I was purchasing the rest, but I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into them at some point.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:21 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:55 pm
Consider Phlebas

It's from a T S Eliot poem The Waste Land, about a character - Phlebas the Phoenician - who has died by drowning. The narrator asks the reader to consider Phlebas, possibly asking him/her to reflect on their own mortality.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:22 am

I've tried reading The Hydrogen Sonata a few times but just can't get into it, which is a shame as it's one of his last books.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:36 am

Have you read any other Culture books or was that one your first attempt? Just curious. I enjoyed The Hydrogen Sonata, it was actually the last one that I read, but it doesn't take the top spots of Use Of Weapons and Look To Windward - loved those two.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:40 am

I read all of them in a binge fest last year for the first time, excellent series.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:09 pm

ManBearSquid wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:36 am
Have you read any other Culture books or was that one your first attempt? Just curious. I enjoyed The Hydrogen Sonata, it was actually the last one that I read, but it doesn't take the top spots of Use Of Weapons and Look To Windward - loved those two.
I've read them all at least twice (3 times for some). Use of Weapons, Player of Games and Against a Dark Background would be my tops I think but they're all great. I'll just have to try again I suppose.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:37 pm

Can't force yourself to enjoy something, I guess. That being said, sometimes the timing just isn't right for certain books, for me at least.

I also have Feersum Endjinn and The Algebraist to read at some point. Even if they're not culture, I just love his sci fi works.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:40 pm

I'm going to make a confession. I haven't read a book in about ten years, maybe more.

So this year I've decided to get back into it with Dave Grohl - The Storyteller. A loose collection of anecdotes from over the years. About a quarter through so far and I have to say, really enjoying it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:59 pm

Rossell wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:40 pm
I'm going to make a confession. I haven't read a book in about ten years, maybe more.

So this year I've decided to get back into it with Dave Grohl - The Storyteller. A loose collection of anecdotes from over the years. About a quarter through so far and I have to say, really enjoying it.
I love reading, I don't think that since I learned to do it I have ever not had a book on the go.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=