Currently Listening

For your eyes and ears.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Currently Listening

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:42 pm

The Aurora stuff is quite nice to listen to. According to my Spotify year summary I listened to 167 different genres of music this year, so my taste is pretty diverse to say the least. I do enjoy some good dirty vocals but I think I've found my limit with that last post. :lol: I just find stuff like that funny, especially watching the people in the pit go mad for it.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:29 am

And there was me thinking I did well with 112 :lol:

I like Aurora, Churchyard is a good song.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:02 am

Also started listening to Devin Townsends Puzzle album this morning. It's his most out there work I think. Definitely not mixtapeable, but I like the overall result.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:48 am

I forgot that Puzzle and Snuggles released today. I've been so eager to hear those albums since he said he would release them for free over a year ago.

Physical release has been pushed back further but I think I'll spin it up on Spotify while I wait.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Puzzle has been my work soundtrack all morning.

It's really bloody good. I love his more interesting layered and textured work like this. It's got distinct Devlab vibes.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:07 pm

Oh nice, I have had Amorphis as my soundtrack today which has been an absolute pleasure as always, looking forward to their new album next year, Queen of Time has been a regular for me since it came out.

Dave, that russian rubbish was only posted for giggles, I really don't get the appeal. Give Amorphis a spin if you haven't before, I think you will be favourably impressed.

Will listen to the new Dev stuff. They are the only albums of his I have not instantly pre-ordered, as I bounced off The Hummer hard. Devlab I have not listened to that much either, will try Puzzle/Snuggle out and see where it leads me.

EDIT: The Puzzle is not for me. It is too... unstructured? Dissonant? Random? I don't know, there is just not enough there for me to hook into. I am partly disappointed (Devin output that I don't love) and partly relieved (I kinda knew from the teasers that it was a miss for me and didn't spend anything on it).

There is always Snuggles :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:16 pm

Funny, Ian, the reasons you dislike Puzzle are the exact reasons I like it. :lol: I like so many different genres including a whole bunch of weird electronic music stuff, so to have something so unpredictable that goes from weird atonal guitar to layered synths to ambient choirs and odd percussion is a real treat. It's particularly nice when combined with his traditional crisp walls of sound production style, there's just so much to unpack. He said as much in his Twitter feed that it is essentially just an art project and he expected it to be quite polarising among his fans.

Snuggle is more akin to his DTP Ghost album, only less song based. It's essentially a series of ambient pieces. Very relaxing.

I've seen Amorphis live three times; once at a festival, then supporting Nightwish and finally I caught them headlining a small venue in Nottingham. Great band.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:19 pm

Yeah I caught him on Twitch chatting about Puzzle a while back and had a good idea that it may not be for me. I don't mind, I like that he has the opportunity to do so much expression through different musical styles.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:53 pm

Snowy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:07 pm
Dave, that russian rubbish was only posted for giggles, I really don't get the appeal.
Oh, thank god.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:00 pm

Drarok wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:53 pm
Snowy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:07 pm
Dave, that russian rubbish was only posted for giggles, I really don't get the appeal.
Oh, thank god.
:lol:

I listen to a lot of growled vocals but my metal preferences in general lean towards the melodic. A bloke in pants with tights on his head making a noise like a cat with it's balls bulldog clipped doesn't come close :D

It is often vocals that make or break it for me with bands. Operatic vocals not delivered by Bruce Dickinson are almost always a no (Candlemass get a pass). Likewise that kind of American nu-metal vocal sound leaves me cold - that could be a bad description though, I mean this kinda thing:

Musically it is fine, vocally it is boring.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:07 am

I'd say everything about that was fine. Just... fiiiiiiiine. Pretty bland.

I'm pretty fussy, but I couldn't distil what makes or breaks, I just know. :mrgreen:
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:30 am

By the way has anyone physically ordered The Puzzle/Snuggles? Mine is still processing apparently.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:15 pm

Rossell wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:30 am
By the way has anyone physically ordered The Puzzle/Snuggles? Mine is still processing apparently.
Nope, first Dev in a long while I did not order, as I had a suspicion it would not be for me.

That said, I have been listening to his podcasts - got quite behind on them as I had not realised he was back on the podcast train so hadn't checked. He has gone into a lot of detail there about how they have been made and what it all means, and I wondered if knowing that they would click more. Will try again when I have time to listen properly on my main headphones.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:56 pm

I have been falling asleep to Puzzle most nights this week. Just me and the moon.

I have also just had a Volbeat epiphany. Mr And Mrs Ness is one of my fav tracks of theirs and I had no idea that it was a multi song story over 4 albums! I love this so much! I partially blame my daftness and partially Michaels style of singing being that of Vic Reeves "in the club style" for me not knowing till now. Man, Volbeat are great.

Just incase anyone else is into said saga....
Spoiler
Danny And Lucy (2005)

Lucy runs away with her older boyfriend because she has had enough of the troubles at home. Danny crashes the car while high killing them both.

Mr And Mrs Ness (2007)

Mary Ann Ness stricken with guilt takes her own life. Her husband finds the body and is subsequently charged with her murder.

Mary Anns Place (2008)

Mr Ness (possibly a temp release from prison) visits the graves of his daughter and wife to mourn and forgive Mary Ann.
-The music video sums up the story to this point.

You will know (2016)

Mr Ness, finally free visits his wifes grave to leave her flowers and hits the road.

The songs kind of give me the shivers now sometimes when I listen on headphones.

Finally, just noticed its now been 10 years since one of my favourite bands ever split. It still hurts, especially that I couldn't make it to Paris for one of their final gigs. I miss those glorious pretentious wanks so much!

Sorry for the dump. I'm done now!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:51 pm

Sleepytime were a bit too out there for me, still at least Stolen Babies are releasing songs every now and again, have you given them a try?