Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The H.P. Lovecraft Appreciation Society

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 am
My thoughts then:
Spoiler
In my view, the story is definitely evocative of Poe - some of the wording I think is deliberately similar.

I had not realised until reading Doug's comments that chronologically these were the first references to the Necronomicon, 'mad arab' Abdul Alhazred or the plateaus of Leng, all regular references in the Mythos.

I did also wonder at the means available to these two. Apart from the room of strange lights, smells, liquids etc:
Around the walls of this repellent chamber were cases of antique mummies alternating with comely, life-like bodies perfectly stuffed and cured by the taxidermist’s art, and with headstones snatched from the oldest churchyards of the world. Niches here and there contained skulls of all shapes, and heads preserved in various stages of dissolution. There one might find the rotting, bald pates of famous noblemen, and the fresh and radiantly golden heads of new-buried children. Statues and paintings there were, all of fiendish subjects and some executed by St. John and myself. A locked portfolio, bound in tanned human skin, held certain unknown and unnamable drawings which it was rumoured Goya had perpetrated but dared not acknowledge. There were nauseous musical instruments, stringed, brass, and wood-wind, on which St. John and I sometimes produced dissonances of exquisite morbidity and cacodaemoniacal ghastliness; whilst in a multitude of inlaid ebony cabinets reposed the most incredible and unimaginable variety of tomb-loot ever assembled by human madness and perversity
So as well as the means to create the room itself, they also have some expertise in taxidermy. Additionally I had to wonder what the 'nauseous musical instruments' consisted of :lol:

It was this passage that got me the most though, the concept of a collection of "rotting, bald pates of famous noblemen, and the fresh and radiantly golden heads of new-buried children" is pretty chilling.

In response to the questions Doug poses:

1. How scary did you find the story?

It riffs on some of the elements I always found HPL to be a master of - sounds, occurrences, happening out of sight of the protagonist. One of first real scares was watching an old B&W film about a haunted house in which you never see anything. It is all noises, coupled with the gradual uncovering through exposition of the story of the house. You can be in no doubt that the place is haunted and does not want the people there (but will not let them leave) but you see nothing. That intangible sense of terror really gave me the creeps back when I watched the film, and is probably one of the reasons I love HPL's writing as he evokes that same sense.

2. What do you think The Hound actually is?

Not knowing the early chronology of this story in HPL's initial works, I thought that it was a nightgaunt for much of the book. I did ponder this, wondering if it might also be a Hound of Tindalos, but a little online digging (I can't find my old CoC player guide) shows this to be the creation of another Mythos writer who came after HPL, so that was out too.

Where I settled was on something along the lines of a Mythos ghoul which has somehow stumbled across the pendant, gaining some additional ability (in this case some affinity with the 'great bats' which carry it). If I recall, HPL ghouls were referenced as having canine heads, although HPLs own illustration from the story Pickford's Model doesn't show this

3. Why do you think the protagonist kills the vulture with his spade at the end? Is there some kind of significance of this, or is he just a psycho? ¬_¬

I had a couple of thoughts on this. The one that resonated the most with me was that the protagonist has been jolted out of the reverie that he and St John have been indulging in by realising how foul a level they have sunk to, and that they have created their own doom by descending to. The vulture, a carrion-eater, is symbolic of what they have become and the killing of it likewise symbolic of the desperate scramble back from the brink - albeit too late.

4. Slightly loaded question, but who do you think is the real monster in this story?

The obvious answer is the protagonists, but while they do engage in some abhorrent behaviour they don't actually cause anyone any harm in so doing. I am not sure whether this makes them monsters, or just extremely fucked up. The Hound is unquestionably a monster in the dictionary sense, but you are given no rationale behind why it does what it does. After all, it has lain quiescent for a long time, and only kills to get back the pendant that was taken from it. Whether the unfortunate thieves or the protagonists, you have to think that had they not each stolen in the first instance they would not have met with such a potent nemesis.
The film you mention is The Haunting, I think, made in the 60s iirc and starring Russ Tamblyn of Tom Thumb and West Side Story fame. One of my favourites :)

Never, never, never under any circumstances watch the re-make, not even to see Catherine Zeta-Jones' bum.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Thank you for your excellent contributions, Snowy and Gibby, and also to Sly Boots and Mantis. I think some very interesting insights have been raised.

Here's some final reflections of mine:

Spoiler
Regarding the nature of the beast itself, some people in artwork and comic-book adaptations have depicted the the Hound as winged werewolf creature, like this:

...as if it were a living, physical embodiment of the image in the jade amulet. But I'm not convinced the text supports this view.

There's a lot of strange, unexplained mysteries here -- like who the original amulet-thief was, where he got it from, why he was killed in that graveyard and buried in the same place he died, what exactly killed him and why it didn't try to take the amulet back to wherever he took it from, but I think Snowy is onto something with the theory of a ghoul having been imbued with supernatural powers from the amulet.

It is true that in later stories Lovecraft depicts the creatures he calls Ghouls with a semi-canine aspect, though what's interesting is that, although they appear bestial and do eat dead bodies, thus having a frightening demeanor, they're actually quite friendly and have been known to actually help out living humans in various ways. It could be that The Hound represents a prototype for how Lovecraft originally conceived Ghouls to be -- members of a "corpse-eating cult" from a far-away, otherworldly land, who could travel the world carried through the night winds by giant bats (which is how I think it's actually getting about). Maybe all of them carry one of these "soul-symbols" as a sign of their cult membership? I don't know. There's a couple of obscure references in the text to the "souls of ghouls":
H.P. Lovecraft wrote:All too well did we trace the sinister lineaments described by the old Arab daemonologist; lineaments, he wrote, drawn from some obscure supernatural manifestation of the souls of those who vexed and gnawed at the dead.
H.P. Lovecraft wrote:The jade amulet now reposed in a niche in our museum, and sometimes we burned strangely scented candles before it. We read much in Alhazred’s Necronomicon about its properties, and about the relation of ghouls’ souls to the objects it symbolised; and were disturbed by what we read.
At best guess, I'd say the creature appears to be a reanimated human skeleton of a 15th century Dutch grave-robber who has been infused with the soul of a Ghoul via the magical amulet he stole (originally from Leng). He's been physically transformed to exhibit canine features (claws, teeth), and has been granted various supernatural abilities as well as a personal retinue of giant bats which he uses for transportation.

At the end of the story, the narrator, we are led to believe, shoots himself to avoid being ripped apart by "the unnamed and unnameable" and I think those last four words sorta sums up any attempt to explain what's happening -- we don't know, nor can we ever really know what's going on behind the scenes here, nor should we attempt to pry too deeply into such dark secrets, lest we share a similar fate!

Okay, so unless anyone has any further insights, that pretty much wraps up The Hound. We could analyze every sentence and mine it for every possible nugget of information, but I think it's time to move on to our next story, if you're up for that.

The Hound covers a range of different Lovecraftian tropes and in a way acts almost as a crossroads, giving us a choice of which one we could pursue next in more detail.

I will name them and if you could indicate which area of interest you'd like to pursue, that could help me decide which direction to take this little tour...

1. Suicidal Narrators
2. Mad English Aristocrats
3. Abdul Alhazred & The Necronomicon
4. Ghouls
5. Little Green Alien Idols Probably Not From Around Here
6. Mucking About in Graveyards
7. Dutch Xenophobia
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Ghouls!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:30 pm

I'd be partial to ghouls or little green alien idols.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm

I am happy to go with the flow, although I really don't get on with his Dreamlands stories, so if they can be avoided I will be happy. If not, not a problem.

I did find this interesting little nugget in the Wikipedia page on The Hound though:

On September 16, 1922, Lovecraft toured the Flatbush Reformed Church in Brooklyn with his friend Rheinhart Kleiner, writing about the visit in a letter:

"Around the old pile is a hoary churchyard, with internments [sic?] dating from around 1730 to the middle of the nineteenth century.... From one of the crumbling gravestones--dated 1747--I chipped a small piece to carry away. It lies before me as I write--and ought to suggest some sort of horror-story. I must place it beneath my pillow as I sleep... who can say what thing might not come out of the centuried earth to exact vengeance for his desecrated tomb? And should it come, who can say what it might not resemble?"
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Yeah, I saw that too. Strange guy...

Anyway, I can't get enough of hearing about the dreaded Dutch, but happy to go with whatever really.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm
I am happy to go with the flow, although I really don't get on with his Dreamlands stories, so if they can be avoided I will be happy.
Same here.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:39 pm

That's fine; we'll avoid the Dreamlands as best we can for the sake of Snowy and Gibby. In my view they are a fundamental element of the Mythos, but I suppose they are an optional alternative dimension that one does not have to travel to. I'm a big fan, but I see they're not to everyone's taste.

So, following on from The Hound, the majority of the H.P.L.A.S. has chosen to read more about Ghouls. There are a number of HPL stories that contain references to Ghouls, but I think by far the most significant and important is Pickman's Model, where we leave the moors of England and churchyards of Holland far behind and find ourselves in a bar in Boston, Massachusetts, in the year 1926. We're a fly on a wall listening to a one-sided conversation between a man called Thurber and his trusted friend Eliot...

Read it here and let me know when you've finished: Pickman's Model
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:15 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:06 pm
I can't get enough of hearing about the dreaded Dutch
There is a way to get back to the Dreaded Dutch via this story, though other paths will also open up from here as well.
The hissing of rats

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:18 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:15 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:06 pm
I can't get enough of hearing about the dreaded Dutch
There is a way to get back to the Dreaded Dutch via this story, though other paths will also open up from here as well.
Typical tricksy, dastardly Dutch, sneaking up at you from all angles :x

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:29 pm

ANYONE ACTUALLY STARTED Pickman's Model yet? ¬_¬
The hissing of rats

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 am

Sorry man, I keep meaning to but haven't found a suitable gap yet. But set a deadline and I'll make sure I hit it.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:15 pm

Monday morning. Everyone who wants to be part of the HPLAS should have read Pickman's Model by Monday morning.
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Is everyone on track for finishing Pickman's Model for tomorrow morning?
The hissing of rats

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Yes indeed, though I probably won't be posting about it until tomorrow evening myself.