The Manga Thread

For your eyes and ears.
elgaucho

The Manga Thread

Post by elgaucho » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 pm

In this day and age, with so many international influences surrounding us on all sides, surely some of us are reading Mangas here and there, right???

I mean there's some really good stuff out there, and it's the perfect read when you're stuck somewhere and need something you can load up on your phone for a read.

At least it has been for me since I found the Manga Rock app, which just keeps all my manga up to date and tells me when new issues come out!

So come along and share those recommendations!

If not, come on and join the party! :D

A handful of books i'm reading:

One Piece
Lots of people have heard of One Piece.
But if you haven't, it tells the story of Luffy, the Man who will be Pirate King, who's eaten the Rubber Rubber fruit and is a rubber man. We follow him on his adventures as he sails the seas and builds his crew, making his impact through the earth.
Possibly one of the biggest franchises in Japan, this is just a really FUN adventure. The books are running at 900+ issues, and the anime is on 600+ as i recall. I just find the books to be better paced than all the filler content on the anime which is intended to drag time out.

One Punch Man
100 issues in and i still can't decide if i like this book or not. The main character is basically a disillusioned/depressed hero, so powerful that he kills everything in one shot, and his struggle finding a way to find entertainment or some kind of emotion from life as a hero. It has a good cast of characters, and the artwork is really good.

Kingdom
Based in China during the warring states period, it tells the story of one man's rise from peasant to great general of the heavens, and the conquest of all the warring states. Started this a few weeks ago and blew through the whole 500+ issues in no time. I like it!

Hajime No Ippo
No idea why i read this. I have no interest in boxing. But this manga has 1200+ issues and i was curious - how CAN a boxing book go so long?!?!
Apparently, quite easily. I'm on issue 900 and going. It's a lighthearted comedy following the members of a boxing club and their fights to win their respective weight classes. :)
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Snowy
Local

Re: The Manga Thread

Post by Snowy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I tried to like Manga, but never got it. My brain just doesn't gel with Japanese storytelling I think.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:19 pm

I like mangoes.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:43 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm
I tried to like Manga, but never got it. My brain just doesn't gel with Japanese storytelling I think.
To be fair, i started years ago with anime shows like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin and other things like it.

Eventually i moved onto other series, and some of the current shows, where the episodes are intentionally made to drag out for as long as possible. I decided to just jump into the books instead. There's such a wealth of content out there.

There's definitely something for everyone - i guess it's like a good book or series, you need to wait to find the right one! :)
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!