The gig thread

For your eyes and ears.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: The gig thread

Post by Mantis » Thu May 26, 2022 9:41 pm

Back from Meshuggah tonight. Absolutely mental gig with an amazing setlist.

Going to be hard to top that experience for a long while I think.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri May 27, 2022 6:24 am

Yeah am envious there, I should have bought RAH tix.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Mon May 30, 2022 10:53 pm

Just back from them in Glasgow and it was great to finally see some live music again. I mirror Mantis' thoughts on the show.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:32 pm

Just got back from Download. Great few days, exhausting though!

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:41 pm

Highlights?
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:51 pm

Iron Maiden blew a lot of the other performances out of the water but then I made an effort to get close to the front for it and the crowd vibe was really great up there. Good setlist too.

First time seeing Mastodon live after heavily getting into them a while back and they were incredibly good too. Super tight performance with a good mix of older and newer material.

Discovered a band called Baroness who had a nice vibe. First time seeing Steel Panther live too and whilst I wouldn't really consider myself a fan of them usually, parts of the show actually had me crying with laughter, way better and funnier than I think expected them to be. Electric Wizard rounding out the night with some doomy riffs was a nice end to Friday too because I couldn't stomach the entire Kiss set.

Super busy weekend dashing between stages ended up tallying 29 bands seen. All the standing and walking did my bad back in on Saturday though and I had to faceplant into my tent when I seized up bending over to get into it. :lol:

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:09 pm

Hey, I was there too! I didn't get back home until 19:30 last night after an epic journey. Caught the sun nicely on Friday, had plenty sunblock for the rest of the weekend, and the few spots of rain I felt were quite refreshing!

I was on a very different track to Mantis though! Highlights for me included Shinedown, Ice Nine Kills, and all of the sign-language-interpreted performances I saw. Really good stuff.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:31 am

Rammstein in Coventry last night. Bought those tickets in 2019 and couldn't believe it was all finally happening when the show started after two year long postponements.

Utterly amazing show. It's a small stadium so we still had a great view from our seats and their stage show fits the open air setting perfectly, especially with the 50 foot high streams of fire.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:50 pm

Yeah I left it too late to source tickets for that and am a bit disappointed. I have seen them at Brixton and nearly had my face melted, but they are one of very few bands that just work in a stadium setting.

Also can I just say, that fucking riff in Dicke Titten...
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:38 pm

How was Deutschland, fucking epic I'm guessing?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:52 am

Finally got to my first gig since 2019!!! Went to see Guns & Rose's last night in Dublin. I initially bought the tickets in 2019 assuming it would take place in June 2020, two years later it finally went ahead. I've been trying to get rid of these fucking tickets for the past year and no bugger would buy them.

So glad I didn't as it was an excellent show, a real flashback to the 1990's. Axl is unfortunately past it but he was trying his best and was running up and down the stage balling into the mic. Slash was just jaw dropping, it was his show really. Glorious guitar shredding and extended solo's had the crowd in awe. Plus the crowd was very mellow, saw a group of them dancing and taking photos with the cops that were supposed to be patrolling the grounds :lol:

All in all a great evening was had.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:02 am

I'm toying with the idea of going to Bloodstock festival this year. Mainly this came about as my son's friend is doing a 'metal battle/battle of the bands thing' to win a slot at Bloodfest. If they win my son wants to go and see them.
However there's a good chance they won't win but I sort of want to go anyway now. The music is heavier than I like and I haven't heard of 80% of the bands playing, but I have done a festival for nearly a decade now.

However, I'm worried about it just being me and my son (I've usually gone in groups), I'm also worried about having a too big tent (I think it's officially a 6man but will only be the 2 of us), I'm worried about drinking/not drinking. I'll be the only responsible person :)

Plus, it's going to cost a lot when bills are currently going through the roof...

Thoughts?
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:58 am

OK here's my view, but with the caveat that I have not been to a festival in best part of 30 years:

The chances are if you go you will have a great time and enjoy a lot of the bands. There are some belters in there, as well as a load I have not heard of. That said, if it is heavier than you like, you might find yourself a bit nonplussed especially as you will not know the songs.

A six man tent is a bit large and will be a bastard to carry, do you have any mates with something smaller?

Have a few beers with your son, but don't get fannied, and you will be fine. It will be an awesome bonding experience for you both.

Costs - you know if it is affordable mate, can't help you there sorry!
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:14 pm

Snowy wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:58 am
Have a few beers with your son, but don't get fannied
Also get that printed on matching t-shirts if you go...

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:08 am

Welp. I bought two tickets. Looks like we're going.

Now to refresh my memory on what I need for 4 days camping/surviving :)

Cheers for everyone's thoughts
-- To be completed at some point --