General Gaming News

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Of no interest to anyone else here but Sega just teased a new Virtua Fighter game! Even if it’s a 5 remaster I’m all over that! Squeeeee!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:24 pm

You cannot buy CODBO Cold War physical from Amazon !

Seems the the retailer has fallen out with Activision
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:07 pm

Thank fuck they dropped the idea of Mark Wahlberg :-&

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:51 pm

You do know Wahlberg is playing sully yeah?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:24 am

EA are doing a remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... ry-edition

Perhaps I'll play it this time around.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:06 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:24 am
EA are doing a remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... ry-edition

Perhaps I'll play it this time around.
You not played them before? I don't think the gameplay will have aged very well, would be tough playing them for the first time in 2021.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:32 pm

I played the first on release, but there were some annoying niggles that I couldn't get past. There was a boss fight that happened immediately after a lengthy cutscene, and I kept having to retry it... and the cutscene was unskippable meaning I had to watch the same tedious dialogue over and over again. I also hated the need to switch between ammo types constantly, which may well not have actually been necessary, but having to wade through inventory screens to do it was a pain on a gamepad.

You're probably right though, I don't recall the gameplay being especially noteworthy, but the setting and story still appeal. I'll probably give it a try if it appears on EA's subscription service (which I get access to through Gamepass).

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Played all 3 back to back with all the dlc last year and totally loved it.
No desire to do it all again with prettier graphics though.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:36 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:32 pm
I played the first on release, but there were some annoying niggles that I couldn't get past. There was a boss fight that happened immediately after a lengthy cutscene, and I kept having to retry it... and the cutscene was unskippable meaning I had to watch the same tedious dialogue over and over again. I also hated the need to switch between ammo types constantly, which may well not have actually been necessary, but having to wade through inventory screens to do it was a pain on a gamepad.

You're probably right though, I don't recall the gameplay being especially noteworthy, but the setting and story still appeal. I'll probably give it a try if it appears on EA's subscription service (which I get access to through Gamepass).
I actually think the first game is the most complete game and also probably the one that might have aged the best, at least in terms of gameplay, as it is more of an RPG in that regards. ME2 and 3 had pretty bog standard to bad cover shooting mechanics at the time so they will have only got worse.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:36 am

If they include built-in controller support for the PC version, I'll be buying it on that basis alone.

Mass Effect is one of my most-loved, most-played series (with the exception of Andromeda, which I can't seem to get into). I agree with DJ that the first game is the most complete package, but 2 is one of those that gets better each time I play it. The Suicide Mission track to me is one of the greatest pieces of gaming music ever composed - it perfectly captures that feeling of heading into the absolute unknown, with nothing less than the fate of the galaxy at stake and no expectation of coming back.

3 is also extraordinary in many ways, despite its much-maligned ending (which in retrospect after the extended ending... it's fine, if you squint a bit). I imagine playing it right now would heighten its impact with everything going on, as much of it revolves around the shock and impact of seeing everything you know being irrevocably changed. In a lot of ways it's about the grieving process, only with lots of shooting and impressive set-pieces.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can wait until March for a replay.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:29 am

I remember 3 came out at the height of the Inception Horn being used in everything. Some great Inception Horning to be had.

Loved this series (except Andromeda which I lost interest in rapidly), a touch up on the visuals and controls would be perfect. Need to bang my way through the crew again...

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:38 am

The first one will always be my favourite too. Slightly janky mechanics at times but by far has the best vibe, feel and story. That first plunge into the unknown where the Reapers were presented as this real Lovecraftian horror.

The planetary exploration was fun too. Replacing that with a monotonous and repetitive planet scanning minigame was a really poor decision with the sequel.

I feel like the first game was a 70s sci-fi B movie, with all the charm that comes with it. From 2 onwards they turned into Avengers style Hollywood blockbusters and lost what made the first feel special.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:15 pm

I only played the second and didn't gel with it at all. It didn't leave me cold as such, but outstayed its welcome by the time I was probably about half way through. I don't recall exactly but pretty sure I never bothered to finish it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:04 am

Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah have both left Bioware, which feels like a bit of a blow to the forthcoming Mass Effect and Dragon Age games.