Gaming Bucket List 26

Steam, Deals & More.
Animalmother
Local

Re: Gaming Bucket List 26

Post by Animalmother » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 am

I don't get why they picked GoW4 for that list when the 2nd game is generally regarded as the best of the series. 4 is ok it's just pretty forgettable story wise.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:30 pm

You could say that about a bunch of games on the list, it really is a strange collection.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:52 pm

GoW2 was the one that put me off the series, I didn't pick it back up until I started playing 5 in co-op earlier this year.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:57 pm

You didn’t miss much, 3 was especially bad. 1 is still my fav even if it could do with a lot of QoL improvements.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:09 pm

I agree, 1 had the best vibe out of all of them, though it hasn't aged that well in terms of its general clunkiness.

I played through 4 and 5 on Gamepass in coop recently and we made the mistake of playing 5 first for some daft reason. 5 isn't the best (though it was great fun with some good set pieces even if the open world segments dragged on a bit), but it was notably better than 4. Overall I thought that 4 was very dull, particularly given that you spend more than half the game fighting endless streams of very generic robot enemies so miss out on all the great gibs and gore that give the series its identity.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm

5 is just such a good looking game, even now its one of the best looking games on Series X. The story is crap, the open world is tedious but the graphics are real nice. Oh and the versus in 5 is actually really good.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:44 pm

Yeah, 5 is a fun romp marred by tedious open-world bits. Gears always had really strong combat gameplay, and it's a little frustrating when it hides it behind 15 minutes of slow-paced walking and talking.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:54 am

I realised whilst playing Gears 4 that I didn't really ever like the combat, it's not that I don't like cover-based shooters, I really like the Division games for instance, but there was something about the combat in Gears that just put me off.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:20 am

I think I just loved the active reload mechanic. There's a gun in Enter the Gungeon with the same mechanic (although oddly not themed around a Gears weapon given how many weapon homages the game has), and I love using that too.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:12 am

New video, I quite enjoyed making this one.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:30 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't drive in these games without hurtling off the track. Again I commend you on not swearing up a storm while playing, which I can't stop myself from doing.

I was playing Grid recently and it looks identical to Project Cars, modern racing games seem to have hit that point where they all look and play the same.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:36 pm

It's been a long time since I played a sim game of any description so I was very rusty and the car was really squirely when under breaking.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:28 pm

I actually just started playing Project Cars 2 over the weekend now that I have a sim rig I can leave my wheel attached to permanently (getting the wheel and pedals out of storage, hooking them up and attaching everything to my desk was such a chore that I just never bothered, and I haven't played a racing sim in years), so I figured I'd give that same combination of car and track a go to see how I could do. It took me three laps, without any prior knowledge of the car, the track, and without the racing line assist (although I was following AI cars so I probably learned a fair bit from them), to beat your qualifying time by two seconds. That's not a boast, just a point of comparison as to what having a wheel, VR and force feedback does to the game experience.

And that's a bloody fun combination of car and track by the way. On my first two laps I had exactly the same issue with turning into that fast left hander a third of the way through, and span on the first attempt, but saved it on the second.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:16 am

Game number 23 is now available. I think this is the first older game that I have actually enjoyed playing, so much so that I might keep playing it, it certainly holds up a lot better than most of the other games I have played in this series from around that era.