Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Rossell
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Rossell » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:37 pm

And now I've moved on to:

Kena: Bridge of Spirits

If this isn't the most beautiful game I've ever clapped eyes on. Even if the parry system is difficult to master.

User avatar
Mantis
Landlord
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: The Grid

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:02 pm

I finally finished Death Stranding.

Oh boy, what a game. I was left a little disappointed about two thirds in when a climactic boss battle and subsequent exposition amounted to very little, but the end of the game does make up for it, even if the final explanation leans slightly into convoluted territory. Ultimately it strikes a very somber tone and whilst there is a fairly epic boss fight at the very end of the main gameplay sequence, the ending goes on for another two or three hours afterwards and hammers home the theme that this isn't really a typical video game about fighting the next big baddie; it's about forming bonds and connections.

It isn't perfect, but it is truly ambitious in the way it tries to create a cohesive experience weaving the narrative and theme into what is essentially a fairly rudimentary game loop of managing your encumbrance whilst traversing difficult terrain. Thankfully I find the parcel delivery aspect and the general chilled out vibe of hoofing it across country with boxes stacked high to be a really entertaining experience. This isn't Assassin's Creed where you can just hold a button and race up a mountain. In Death Stranding the mountain itself is your enemy, and you have to consider how you will carry your cargo up and what extra tools you may bring with you like ladders and ropes.

I think maybe it is guilty of having slightly too many characters which it never spends quite enough time with, there are fairly major elements of the plot which are delivered via simple radio message, or sometimes a big deal is made out of something in a cutscene only for a character to hand wave it away a short time later. But overall I would say it is still more cohesive than the bloated monster that the Metal Gear franchise turned into.

User avatar
ManBearSquid
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: Currently Playing

Post by ManBearSquid » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:03 am

I've been rather enjoying The Evil Within 2, it's much more consistent than the first one. Not perfect, but good horror fun.

I've also been loving Dying Light, so much better than Dead Island, which I did also enjoy, awful story aside.

User avatar
Alan
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:23 pm

Baba Is You
I’m so stupid!
I’m so smart!
I’m so stupid!
I’m so smart!
I’m so stupid!
I’m so smart!
I’m so stupid!
I’m so smart!
I’m so stupid!
I’m so smart!
I’m so stupid!
I’m so smart!
I’m so stupid!
I’m so smart!
I’m so stupid!
I’m so smart!
I’m so stupid!!


This game is so good. I shouldn’t have waited this long to play it.
I used to be eVoL but I got better.
I like everything now.

User avatar
Abs_McBain
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: baguette

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Abs_McBain » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:20 pm

I know, right?!
I've started playing it too, and discovering things like "ah I can also treat the words as blocks" and "gah! I should be thinking vertically" is just amazings.

User avatar
Animalmother
Posts: 1700
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:34 pm

The Riftbreaker
A new RTS style game where you control a mech, build a base to gather resources and fight off alien swarms. It looks great for a start, nicely detailed environments to stomp through and inevitably destroy with saw blades, flamethrowers and rocket launchers etc, great explosion and fire effects.

The game itself just didn't gel with me, too much busy work and trying to fend off swarm attacks while the UI is constantly telling you to do different tasks but not explaining how very clearly. It didn't help either that playing an RTS on a controller sucks balls, for me at least. I've seen it get rave reviews but I've already uninstalled. It's definitely something I'd like to come back to again as it does seem like a genuinely good game.

User avatar
Snowy
Posts: 1742
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 am
Location: Ballhang

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:34 pm
The Riftbreaker
A new RTS style game where you control a mech, build a base to gather resources and fight off alien swarms. It looks great for a start, nicely detailed environments to stomp through and inevitably destroy with saw blades, flamethrowers and rocket launchers etc, great explosion and fire effects.

The game itself just didn't gel with me, too much busy work and trying to fend off swarm attacks while the UI is constantly telling you to do different tasks but not explaining how very clearly. It didn't help either that playing an RTS on a controller sucks balls, for me at least. I've seen it get rave reviews but I've already uninstalled. It's definitely something I'd like to come back to again as it does seem like a genuinely good game.
Yeah I really liked the look of this, but the actual game not so much. I have looked at some others that I think are similar - Factorio for example - but I know I haven't the mechanical mind to click all the parts together or the patience to keep fixing it when it breaks.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

User avatar
Alan
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Alan » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:54 pm

Snowy wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Yeah I really liked the look of this, but the actual game not so much. I have looked at some others that I think are similar - Factorio for example - but I know I haven't the mechanical mind to click all the parts together or the patience to keep fixing it when it breaks.
Have you tried Opus Magnum? It’s the same satisfaction hit of building a working production line mechanism but without the massive scale micro managing. Its single board levels where your tasked with building a machine to create a certain molecule. Its fantastic. It has the Baba is you thing of making you feel dumb and smart.
I used to be eVoL but I got better.
I like everything now.

User avatar
Snowy
Posts: 1742
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 am
Location: Ballhang

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:05 pm

I haven't - will have a look
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rossell
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Rossell » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 am

FarCry Primal.

Sabretooth tigers can go fuck themselves.

User avatar
Rusty
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:21 pm
Location: Plymouth, Devon

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:52 am

I spent so much time in hunter mode that the world was always just grey and yellow.
-- To be completed at some point --

User avatar
eny
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am
Location: Autumn
Contact:

Re: Currently Playing

Post by eny » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:13 am

Rossell wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 am
FarCry Primal.

Sabretooth tigers can go fuck themselves.
They get easier.... 8-[
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

User avatar
Sly Boots
Bar Staff
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Inscryption

This is brilliant. A cross between Slay the Spire and Hand of Fate by the creator of Pony Island - with all the trippy weirdness that entails.

First of all, he's made a cracking card game in its own right, where you progress along a path, collecting, upgrading and doing various other things to your deck of cards (some of which speak to you), and at any time you can get up from the table and roam around the cabin the game is taking place in, which is a bit like a mini escape room where you can find hidden things to aid in your quest to beat the mysterious and creepy game master.

When you lose you're killed, after being asked to create your bespoke 'death card', which you can later collect and use to try to beat the four bosses. And you probably will lose a fair bit, to begin with.

But then, when you've beaten those bosses the game becomes something else entirely, and weirdness ensues.

I'm in the third act at the moment, and the game has become something else yet again. It's great, if you enjoyed any of the games this is based on buy it.

User avatar
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff
Posts: 1836
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 am

Re: Currently Playing

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:27 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:28 pm
Inscryption

This is brilliant. A cross between Slay the Spire and Hand of Fate by the creator of Pony Island - with all the trippy weirdness that entails.

First of all, he's made a cracking card game in its own right, where you progress along a path, collecting, upgrading and doing various other things to your deck of cards (some of which speak to you), and at any time you can get up from the table and roam around the cabin the game is taking place in, which is a bit like a mini escape room where you can find hidden things to aid in your quest to beat the mysterious and creepy game master.

When you lose you're killed, after being asked to create your bespoke 'death card', which you can later collect and use to try to beat the four bosses. And you probably will lose a fair bit, to begin with.

But then, when you've beaten those bosses the game becomes something else entirely, and weirdness ensues.

I'm in the third act at the moment, and the game has become something else yet again. It's great, if you enjoyed any of the games this is based on buy it.
Yeah it's a really enjoyable game, I have a few issues with the card game itself, mostly around how you can lose because you failed to draw well over the first few turns, but the same can be said for almost any card game. I really like the FMV stuff, it's very dumb which is the best way to do FMV.

Rossell
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Rossell » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:27 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:52 am
I spent so much time in hunter mode that the world was always just grey and yellow.
Haha. So it's not just me then. Eny is right too once you get your own sabretooth tiger life is easier. Going through the beast hunts atm.

Post Reply