DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: General Gaming News

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:24 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:12 am
Raid wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:00 am
You do have to wonder if this was the plan all along, and they're changing from an extremely unpalatable option to one that's still unpalatable, but in saying they've "listened to feedback" it makes the unpalatable option seem more reasonable. It just seems odd that two games companies (albeit different genres) would make the same mistake in the space of six months.
With WotC, piecing the whole debacle together from various sources, I think it boiled down to Hasbro execs having a vastly incomplete understanding of the OGL which resulted in them demanding it to be monetised. It sounds like there were internal protests and warnings, but the execs kept coming back to "we have a licence used by most of the industry and we're NOT getting money from it?!"

I can easily imagine that some suit at Unity had a similar thought and insisted on monetisation despite those who understand the situation issuing drastic warnings. I guess the stance from both Hasbro and Unity was that their dominance in the market meant they'd get away with it.
There were reports coming out of Unity after the policy was announced that staff had tried to tell higher-ups that this was going to cause major issues.

As Sly said I think the reputational damage this has done makes the idea that they were always going to pivot seem unlikely. They have wiped a chunk off their stock market value, nobody does that on purpose.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:06 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:20 pm

Have to admit that this looks like fun. The OTT blood splatters and destructive environments are great. Think it's the same guys who made that pretty good Terminator game a few years back. Maybe they'll do a Commando or Predator game next!

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:26 am

I hope the whole game is better. That's almost like an on rails arcade game. No strategy at all. Just walk (slowly) and shoot people.
-- To be completed at some point --

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:45 pm

It looks like a remaster of a 360 game in style.

So CoD has knocked cosmetics out the park this month.

I cant believe I want to buy CoD pish :lol:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm

Not played one in years, so no temptation here :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:15 am

"Hey guys, our game doesn't work, but we're releasing it anyway. But it's cool because we're telling you about it! We still want your money, but please don't review bomb us!"

https://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines ... mment-jump

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:46 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:15 am
"Hey guys, our game doesn't work, but we're releasing it anyway. But it's cool because we're telling you about it! We still want your money, but please don't review bomb us!"

https://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines ... mment-jump
They have also removed Steam Workshop support for the sequel, you will have to use Paradox Mods instead, which seems a tad unnecessary to me.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:50 am

The recommended specs for 1080p are a 12600k, RTX 3080 and 16GB RAM. For 1080p! That's mental.

I'm tempted by the game, but I'll be waiting for some hands-on analysis before buying.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:05 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:50 am
The recommended specs for 1080p are a 12600k, RTX 3080 and 16GB RAM. For 1080p! That's mental.

I'm tempted by the game, but I'll be waiting for some hands-on analysis before buying.
Lol that's incredible. It's coming to Game Pass so if you have that you can try it there.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:22 pm

I'd noticed how choppy some of the pre-release videos had been, but the Youtubers in question never mentioned their system specs. I can't say I'm all that surprised though - the truck and car models look like they'd have been adequate for a third-person open world game from just a few years ago, and this is simulating entire cities of the things. I'd like to think they're not being rendered at full detail at a distance, but they've put a crazy amount of detail into the game that won't often be necessary.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:05 am

Following the disappointing reception to The Lamplighter's League (it speaks volumes how after the demo I couldn't even be bothered to download it on Gamepass), Paradox and Harebrained Schemes have parted ways. Apparently a mutual decision, but it comes after Paradox laid off about 80% of HBS' staff.

Really enjoyed their Shadowrun games and while I understand licensing issues make another one in the franchise unlikely, I'd love to see somewhat similar titles from them in the future, away from a publisher obsessed with chopping up games and selling them to consumers piecemeal as DLC.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:34 pm

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:37 am

This morning there was a pretty detailed look at Squadron 42, the single-player experience that was announced as be part of Star Citizen. It's been in development for so long I have no idea whether that's still the case or whether it's a standalone game.

It's no wonder they've spent more than ten years making this - it looks ludicrously ambitious. It's no longer just a space sim, it now contains FPS and terrestrial-vehicle sections, and at least on the face of it none of them look particularly compromised in terms of depth. This also means I'm less interested; I've been longing for a new story-based space sim in this style (my favourite genre when I was a kid) for nearly half my life - I think the last one I spent any real time with was 2001's I-War 2. Instead I've been resorting to playing fan-made remakes of older games (TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, heavily enhanced versions of Freespace 2) But the whole reason I liked the genre was that I loved space combat; I'm just not enthusiastic about spending hours at a time switching to playing Halo. It also means it'll be a pain the arse for me personally to play, as all of my flight sim gear is attached to a separate piece of furniture that I'll somehow have to work a mouse and keyboard into.

A game that's been in development for this long is probably going to be either a) terrible, b) full of bugs, or c) terribly optimised requiring beefy hardware to run well, but I can't pretend it doesn't look exciting in a lot of ways.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:59 pm

Providing you can play it with mouse and keyboard (and that it actually works), I can imagine me being interested in this. For me, being able to dogfight in space one moment and then land and do stuff on the surface of a planet in first-person the next is a definite attraction.

No Man's Sky was an alluring prospect, but I wasn't engaged by the lack of purpose to anything and the prevalence of crafting and survival mechanics, and Starfield just completely failed on the space exploration part (amid other faults). But something that can marry those gameplay elements while providing a compelling story campaign would be incredible.