Star Wars: Outlaws

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Re: Star Wars: Outlaws

Post by Alan » Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:48 am

Man, I didnt realise you were all a bunch of beta soyboys. Do you not even drink your own distilled urine?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:14 am

I've been called far worse. :lol:

;)
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:18 am

It'd be nice to be able to actually critique people like that, but I find myself entirely unable to stomach more than 2 minutes of their content. The video Dave links above basically says that the player character is ugly within the first minute, but does so by showing a photo of the actress who plays Kay, and then a screenshot of her in-game model... which is exactly the same face (because that's how modern motion-capture works) but with a haircut that fits with the original trilogy's aesthetic because, hey, it was filmed in the late 70s and early 80s. That was the argument. There doesn't seem to be even the slightest bit of critical thinking applied. Maybe he goes on to elaborate more later, but I was vomiting blood by that point so I decided to turn it off.

There's a comment I often see when it comes to Star Wars content - nobody hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans, and while I purposefully stay away from most reviews of Disney's output these days for this very reason, I've seen it crop up in Youtube thumbnails and headlines surrounding Acolyte as Pete mentions. I don't know what it is about Star Wars specifically that attracts these people, but it goes waaaaay beyond what would be warranted from people that simply don't think it's as good as it used to be. This is angry, bile-spewing, hateful thinking that will blame everything on the actors (see what happened with Kelly Marie Tran - Rose from The Last Jedi) rather than the executives in charge of and responsible for the projects.

Honestly it's difficult not to see the connection between this level of toxic "fandom" discourse and the rise of the far-right, because this is exactly the kind of language and thinking that is being supported by the likes of Trump and Farrage (whose numerous comments in the current election period about how "real people talk like this" are pushing this even further out into the open). Basically these people aren't discussing the game, they're outing themselves as horrible human beings whose previously hidden viewpoints are now public because politicians have deemed it acceptable. I hate to bring political discussion into this, but this is more a societal problem than a game-design one.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:27 am

It was the same with Horizon. "Aloy is ugly and has fuzz on her face. Women dont have face fuzz, thats absurd!!! Aloy must be a man!" Its Stellar Blade type of design or nothing.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:26 pm

Many people with undiagnosed mental illnesses or with inadequate social skills make up a large number of these groups(in my opinion...) and this is easily manipulated by others. Of course some of them are just plain and simple horrible cunts.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:35 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:18 am
Honestly it's difficult not to see the connection between this level of toxic "fandom" discourse and the rise of the far-right, because this is exactly the kind of language and thinking that is being supported by the likes of Trump and Farrage (whose numerous comments in the current election period about how "real people talk like this" are pushing this even further out into the open). Basically these people aren't discussing the game, they're outing themselves as horrible human beings whose previously hidden viewpoints are now public because politicians have deemed it acceptable. I hate to bring political discussion into this, but this is more a societal problem than a game-design one.
Yeah completely agree.

It is worse at the moment with the election looming. They are just fringe cunts for the most part but give their toxicity a platform and suddenly they seem to have a voice. My hope is that Farage and his bunch of vile fucking nazis vanish like morning mist once the electorate have said "No thanks, Labour/Lib Dem please" but that only fixes the issue in the UK. Why can't people see that populists have no answers - it gets proven again and again but here we see France about to elect the far right, to say nothing of the US potentially electing a dictator. It is enough to make a pig sick.

Oh - Dave - don't give the Edwin the oxygen he so craves (clicks). Tell YouTube "Never recommend this nugget of yak smegma to me again" and be done with it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:17 pm

Also, I think a lot of it is just how easy and straightforward it is these days to permeate an alt-view of stuff like this. It's low-hanging fruit in the social media sphere and they know it's going to get plenty of views - plus it requires little effort or planning from a creative point of view.

I sometimes wonder how much of this is the individual's genuine belief and how much of it is just fishing for a bigger online footprint. I'm not really sure which is worse. I'm not surprised the guy in that video is permanently masked - gives him an easy route out once he's had enough/made enough money. His channel's at 68 million video views currently...

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:38 am

Yeah I fairly regularly have to prune stuff that has popped up on my YouTube feed. Because I am interested in politics the algorithm throws out the occasional noxious option - some video of Farage or a hateful little shit like Dave's example. I delete them immediately, I have no desire to drop into a toxic pool.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:10 am

I think we should get the thread back on track and that's definitely on me.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/14048 ... -gone-gold

We will know exactly how the game has turned out fairly soon.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:07 am

I must say I haven't a flicker of interest in the actual title. Will see how it reviews, but don't think I will buy this.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:59 am

I'm tempted to pay for a month of Ubi+ or whatever the fuck their subscription service is called to at least give it a try

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:59 am

Comments are pretty brutal and not entirely unjustified either. Entering the Sarlacc pit to do nothing more than swing over a gap - no environmental puzzles other than a few rocks zero memorable challenges or enemy engagements to speak of whatsoever? How about a flying rabble of spitting venomous creatures the pit suddenly being flooded of poisonous gas a twisted ankle just something to add some sense of real urgency. There's still just this flatness to it all that needs seriously addressing.

I'm kind of hoping Ubisoft delay the game at this point as the reception it's getting is already frosty and this so called 'showcase' did not help matters at all. I say delay it for a year as we already have a stacked final quarter ahead of us, give it a solid amount of rework and the extra cooking time it so obviously needs. I do so want this to be great and would rather not see a studio such as Massive put at risk because they rushed it out the door.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:40 am

To be fair to that video I think it's edited so it doesn't show everything you do in the pit.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:40 pm

I looks fine, just not something I'd spend any money on. Hopefully comes to Game Pass after a short while.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:46 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:40 pm

I looks fine, just not something I'd spend any money on. Hopefully comes to Game Pass after a short while.
I don't think Ubi stuff generally does go to GP, I think they prefer to force people to use their in-house subscription service instead