Starfield has a release date

Steam, Deals & More.
pappaduck

Re: Starfield has a release date

Post by pappaduck » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:35 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:02 pm
I do think the inventory is ripe territory for mods. As I said a while back, I'm surprised Bethesda didn't go with a grid system or something more visual, rather than sticking with their existing list system.
Agreed, it's always the first thing that gets implemented by modders and given inventory management is such a big part of these types of games I think having the option for a more detailed interface would be an improvement.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:17 pm

So I got the Razorleaf ship on a mission, it's so much better than anything else I have. Has a sheilded cargo bay so I can now carry contraband without any hassle. I also installed a scanning jammer. If you go to the Porrima star system and land at Red Mile on Porrima III you can pick up the cargo hold and jammer pretty cheaply.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:19 pm

Yeah, it’s a great ship which I was lucky enough to find very early on. I’ve since upgraded to a bigger and better ship, but I still have the Razorleaf in my fleet as I’m reluctant to part with it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:11 pm

Only managed to put 4 hours into the game so far, been too nice to be stuck inside playing Starfield. Hope to put a good amount of time into the game this week. I've enjoyed what I've played so far, it feels quite different to previous Bethesda games in some ways as you are not doing the usual thing of exploring and getting distracted by seeing points of interest because of how the game is structured now. I find myself focusing a lot more on one thing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:38 pm

Spent most of the day getting stuck into the Vanguard questline. No spoilers, but it's been pretty excellent so far! Looking forward to doing the other factions stories as well

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:35 pm

After each major quest line, your companions will have stuff to say about how you handled things. I got absolutely mauled by everyone over my despicable business ethics at Ryujin. :lol:

I’ve taken to solo flying again for a while.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:52 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:35 pm
After each major quest line, your companions will have stuff to say about how you handled things. I got absolutely mauled by everyone over my despicable business ethics at Ryujin. :lol:

I’ve taken to solo flying again for a while.
Sarah is currently my companion and last night I spent time helping a drug dealer setup their supply chain and joined a gang, she spent the whole time complaining about how this wasn't ethical. She also whines every time I pickpocket someone. :D

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:55 am

Yeah, I had to ditch her from my crew because her continual judgemental snark was getting me down. The crew could stand to have someone a bit more left of the law.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 am

I mostly travel with Sam Coe as he seems to be somewhat morally grey, but he never shuts the fuck up on or off the ship.

I'm starting to really hate the space combat, getting jumped by 4 enemy ships as I enter a star system really gets old quick. I usually get shredded and sit in the loading screen again and again. Jumping to a new system requires entering multiple menu screens, then waiting for the drive to spool up where you get pelted with fire. I've died so many times with this and often just go back to an earlier save to avoid it altogether.

I'm loving the game but it's a tough love and sometimes I just have to turn it off and walk away for awhile.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:02 am

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 am
I mostly travel with Sam Coe as he seems to be somewhat morally grey, but he never shuts the fuck up on or off the ship.

I'm starting to really hate the space combat, getting jumped by 4 enemy ships as I enter a star system really gets old quick. I usually get shredded and sit in the loading screen again and again. Jumping to a new system requires entering multiple menu screens, then waiting for the drive to spool up where you get pelted with fire. I've died so many times with this and often just go back to an earlier save to avoid it altogether.

I'm loving the game but it's a tough love and sometimes I just have to turn it off and walk away for awhile.
You can avoid this by travelling to a place on a planet, then it should just throw up a loading screen.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:12 pm

Think I'll give some of these a try. Never knew about the simulator.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:26 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:12 pm
Think I'll give some of these a try. Never knew about the simulator.
Definitely worth it as that's how you start the Vanguard faction questline, which I've been having a lot of fun with so far.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:23 pm

Will you do a video on Starfield or is it a bit too much if you get me?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:26 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:23 pm
Will you do a video on Starfield or is it a bit too much if you get me?
Honestly it feels like a bit much alongside my Baldur's Gate 3 series, I'm using it to play for leisure in between recording that lol

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:50 pm

The game has definitely grabbed me a little more after putting a few more hours in. I'm now a bounty hunter working undercover for The Man after accidentally smuggling human organs I'd found in a ventilation shaft, an electrician working a menial job, and also I think I'm now Space Batman. Like the other Bethesda RPGs I've played, it chucks so many things at you that it's difficult to keep track of all of the stuff you're involved with.

It's just such a shame that it's marred by some really pitiful pieces of gameplay. The AI is the most braindead rubbish I've seen in years - enemies barely move around making it impossible to do anything other than pop out from cover and shoot them, while they run around like chickens who just had their heads sniped off with a space laser. I don't understand how you're meant to use stealth equipment which cloaks you while not moving, when it always has to be you doing the moving because the enemies won't. The ship design system is bafflingly limited and frustrating to use, with it seemingly impossible to move parts you've already placed upward or downward unless you find the hidden pixel which tricks the game into realising you're wanting to do that. And the way jumping into a system puts you immediately at range of every police patrol trying to scan you or enemy ship wanting to blast you means it's a complete crap shoot jumping into an unknown system because you can't try to hide from the authorities.