Halo Infinite- Out December 8

Steam, Deals & More.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Halo Infinite- Out December 8

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:31 am

arqueturus wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:03 am
Really interesting points. For me I think you need some way to make the journey as interesting as the destination - not some kind of shonky collect em up mechanic alone. I've just started playing Borderlands 3 which I guess is pseudo open world (So far it's Borderlands 2 which doesn't come as a great surprise and also fine as I finished with that years back).

So which games do we think have done open world really well? Here are my picks

Shadows of Mordor
Witcher 3
Prey (probably the best example which they do by shrinking the world down)
Fallout 4
I don't think Borderlands quite counts as open world, sure you have the hubs which are a bit open but most of the maps just have really wide corridors. I don't think it is a surprise that the fps games that have been successful take a different approach to open world, like the Borderlands series and Destiny. Maybe Infinite will follow a similar path and it wont just be one huge map.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:34 am

Breath of the Wild is I think the only game where I've found an open world truly compelling. It's absolutely packed with fun, unique activities, with only the bare minimum of signposting.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:29 am

Just Cause 2 had a great open world of casual mayhem and destruction between missions. Even after you completed the main campaign there was so much to do.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:17 am

The early open world games were pretty well done, especially the Ubisoft ones, before the formula became stale.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:29 am

I've always had a massive love of Skyrim, despite it being janky as and fairly shallow to boot. There's something about just wandering about that I find intriguing.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:23 pm

I guess the fact I never think of Prey as an open world game makes it the most successful in recent years. Generally I can’t stand them this side of the 360. Witcher 3 being the only one I can think of recently that I really liked with Breath Of The Wild being the one I really disliked.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:27 pm

I had high hopes for Breath of the Wild but walked away fairly early on. One reason is that I have always struggled with cutesy games (I like my grimdark too much) but the other was the fucking breaking weaponry. Jesus who thought that was a good idea.

Oh, and really complex bloody controls. And this from someone who loves RDR2...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 pm

Snowy wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:27 pm
Oh, and really complex bloody controls. And this from someone who loves RDR2...
As someone who found that the control scheme absolutely ruined my enjoyment of RDR2, I don't recall having any difficulty at all with BotW. Did you play it with the tilt-aiming? It was just about the most intuitive and enjoyable aiming system I've ever used in a third-person 3D game, but it did mean I couldn't play it in handheld mode.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:37 am

I think so, been a long time since I played it. The problem was the amount of different controls for the combat which I would forget by the next time I picked it up. I really didn't get on with the combat, and the endlessly breaking weapons didn't help.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:44 am

I really disliked the breaking weapons myself. BOTW is a game a played a load when I first got it, stepped away for a couple days of break and never really went back. I was already finding it pretty repetitive by that point.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:06 pm

I actually quite liked the weapon durability system, although I can understand how some wouldn't. It made you frequently change how you approached enemies, and with a world this big, it meant that you would still regularly find new toys rather than relying on old favourites. My only real issue with it was that it had to affect the Master Sword too (else nobody would have used anything else once they found it), which didn't really fit the weapon's legendary status.

And just to bring it back to Halo, because I didn't mean to start a BotW chat, it's vaguely similar to how Halo forces you to switch weapons all the time because you'd run out of ammo (at least in the games I've played). I always had a preference for the UNSC stuff, and ammo for those was frequently few and far between. It made it exciting when you found a supply for one of your favourites.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:51 pm

So the Eurogamer campaign review is out, and Mr Higton is far, far more positive than he was in the preview. The website gave it a Recommended.

It sounds like the open world stuff isn't quite as bleak as the preview suggested, and just about everything else is excellent. It really does sound similar to the very first game, where the setting and story are passable sci-fi stuff, but the gameplay really shines. It's convinced me to try it anyway, but I'm left with the dilemma of whether it's worth forcing myself through 4 (which I've played the first few levels of) and 5 (which I never touched) to catch up.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:01 pm

I’ve not finished one since 3. I was pondering a YouTube supercut because if I’m being realistic I will never ever play the earlier ones to catch up. :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:30 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:17 pm

From what I can tell it seems that the campaign is quite good but the overall product itself is an absolute shoddy mess with an enormous amount of missing features and an incredibly extortionate ingame item store. The multiplayer is allegedly still seeing a lot of technical problems.

Considering how much hell this game seems to have gone through in development with Microsoft keen to turn it into a Halo Service, it's frankly amazing that the team managed to salvage it with a well received campaign. Still not a great look for what is essentially their absolute biggest flagship brand.