Gaming Regrets

Steam, Deals & More.
Snowy
Local

Re: Gaming Regrets

Post by Snowy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:49 pm

Alan wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:25 pm
Oh yeah, I definitely regret all the money Ive spent on games Ive never played. :lol:
I think this one goes without saying :D

Good thread Tommy
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:44 pm
My understanding is that there are various elements of that game which are time limited, it put me off immediately when I found out.
It's only really if you take certain characters into your party who have personal quests and you spend ages ignoring them, and they give you fair warning if you're taking too long. In over 20 years of playing BG, I've never found it to be an issue.

If you take Jaheira and Khalid along, for instance, their only requirement is that you look into the problem at the mines, which is part of the main quest anyway. Minsc's is a bit more demanding as you have to go to a far corner of the map to rescue Dynaheir.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Coincidentally System Shock 2 is going for next to nothing on GoG at the moment. It can be modernised (somewhat) by mods and is still a great game to play.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Here’s one few will admit to.

Running games with cheats on (usually when you’re younger).

My regret here is Morrowind. I was too young to appreciate the learning curve. I remember the first time I played it with my friend (aged 10?) running from a shopowner in Seydanin (sp) because our skill was too low and resorting to god mode.

I replayed it since obviously. And again very recently. Still great but not as good as it could’ve been. Same with the expansions.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:46 pm

Tommy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 pm
Here’s one few will admit to.

Running games with cheats on (usually when you’re younger).
Sorry mate - I cheat like a bastard and enjoy it (at 50) :)

Started really with the Total War games - I loved the battles but always found the settlement and finance element got in the way of a great scrap. Initially I just edited the descr-strat.txt file in the campaign folders (not like I remember it very well :oops:) to give my nation a fuckton of cash, but in later games I graduated to Cheat Engine (fuckers removed descr-strat!). Thing is I don't really look at it as cheating, for me it is more just amending the game design to suit my taste and maximise my enjoyment. I would add that I only ever use cheats in single-player, never in MP.

Other things I often cheat with are amounts characters can carry, occasionally XP/level to skip grind if I find myself behind the curve, that kind of thing.

I have zero compunction about using cheats or cheat engine, I don't really look on it as cheating as I say. If removing an obstacle to enjoyment gives the game a greater life for me, happy days. I don't always cheat either, it tends to be strategy or RPGs where the urge takes me.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 am

@Snowy - Do you ever start a game at Hard level? I also tend to start at easy no matter what.
I too enjoy my one off lifetime payment to CheatHappens. They tend to bring out trainers for every game, so infinite money is just a button press away :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:58 am

It varies to be honest. Some games need it - GR Wildlands for example I wanted as a tactical shooter so all the difficulty options were maxed and I loved the game as it needed to be played (200+ hours on it in co-op).

Difficulty in games though can often just mean enemies beating the crap out of you so often in RPGs where you get the "enjoy the story" difficulty I will choose that every time. Getting my arse handed to me by a game is the fastest way for me to uninstall and never go back.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:28 pm

Buying a Pie VR headset for £300. Used it about 6 times. I actually need to dig it out and use it more often at least to get a sense of value out of the thing
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:14 pm

Also, something I regret a bit is not getting properly into the multiplayer element of games. Thinking particularly of AoE2, but WC3 too.

Used to play AoE2 from time to time on co-op vs computers which was fun (few off here generally) but never had the persistence to get anything out of playing other people. Now I just can't be arsed to persevere.

I've probably also missed a lot of great single-player games, opting to play sandbox games. Don't think I regret this too much though.

EDIT: Thinking I wanted a Playstation, then buying a Playstation and realising it was far more fun when it wasn't mine and it was a novelty.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:29 pm

In my half-cut state I've thought of another regret, which is probably niche but I was listening to the soundtrack.

Learning to speedrun Little Big Adventure 2, which is probably my favourite game. Ruined it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:31 pm

Here's one for me then, I regret that humanity is so full of cunts that multiplayer gaming online is so often a rancid affair.

Neatly bracketing that regret is how much of a pity it is that online gaming is so heavily weighted towards adversarial rather than co-operative play. The gaming that brings out the best of people and makes the best "do you remember when..." stories is relegated while the approach that brings out the worst gets the airtime.

Even when titles are built for co-op, such as Ghost Recon Wildlands (again, seems my go-to game in this thread), Ubi promptly fucked it up by pandering to the minority who wanted to do away with the open world tactical shooter elements to focus instead on small arena adversarial shootery, as if there were not already a million of those. Not only that but the entire direction of the game on the 'year 2 pass' was based on adversarial play without so much as a nod towards the brilliant open world shooter they had made and all those who would like more content for that.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:59 pm

Getting into WoW, not having realised I had addiction issues.

Young, dumb and sucked in hard. I lost friends, countless hours, days, months - years.

Derp.