Steam Next Fest has started

Anyone recommend any decent demos?

Grime looks like fun
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: E3 2021 - Press Conferences and News - June 12-15

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:45 am

I'll be checking out Road 96, Lets Build a Zoo and Terra Nil.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:02 am

Yeah, I downloaded the Road 96 demo, will give that a try later

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 pm

I've now played a couple of the opening segments of Road 96. I like it, it's definitely intriguing, but the demo sections are short. In the second one it amounted to little more than a conversation and a walk along a stretch of road. I'm hoping that in the full version each playthrough gives you a decent amount of content.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:57 am

Played a couple of Steam demos this morning, first up was They Always Run.This is an action platformer with combat that is very similar to Dead Cells just without the rougelike elements. It is pretty tight with the ability to dodge, parry and also punch enemies with your third arm. It feels pretty good to play and the painterly art style as well as looking lovely makes a nice change to the pixel art that these games tend to use. You are a bounty hunter and spend the demo chasing after your quarry. As you go through the level you get money for all the enemies you take out and some will have extra bounties on them that you can collect, this money is then used to buy upgrades. There was one interesting wrinkle at the end where you could choose to either kill the guy you were chasing or knock him unconscious with I assume a different outcome depending on what you choose. I quite enjoyed play through it and added it to my wishlist.

The other game I played was Terra Nil which is a reverse city builder that tasks you with re-wilding the wasteland. You start out with a blank dry piece of land and you need to plop down various buildings to first create soil and then grass. You have to cover a certain percentage of the wasteland with grass and then the next section of the game opens up which tasks you with creating a certain amount of three types of biomes. Finally once you have done that you need to remove all traces that you were here by recycling all the buildings and using them to create a spacecraft. It really is a lovely little game that is very calming to play.The challenge comes from the fact that you have limited resources called leaves that are only replenished when you make more leaves which are created when you create nature. Certain buildings need power and power is provided by wind turbines that can only be placed on rocks which are few and far between. You can create more by using a building to create them next to rivers but again there is only one river at the start. However like rocks you can make more rivers with a machine, so you spend time creating a network of rivers and power that covers as much of the map as possible in order to re-wild everywhere. As the game progresses the various biomes grow and spawn new life which is a nice little touch. You can also change the weather in the final stage with a temperature and humidity gauge on the side showing you the target you should be aiming for, the game wasn't very clear on what meeting this target does.

My only slight concern is whether there is enough in the game to keep you playing, I could probably do the same thing a couple more times but after that it would lose it's appeal so hopefully the game has some more systems to add in as it progresses. It is very nice though to just see the world come back to life.

I also played UnMetal last week which is a 2D Metal Gear game with some pretty good humour and Severed Steel which is a fast paced fps game. Both are well worth a look.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:04 pm

RPS have a decent wee list of demos up...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-be ... -next-fest

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:59 pm
EA Play 2021 - July 22 - TBC - link!

6pm our time

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:43 pm

Supposed Dead Space reboot at that. I hope they don’t fuck it up.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.