KOTOR Remake

Steam, Deals & More.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

KOTOR Remake

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:19 am

Aspyr are remaking Knights of the Old Republic. It is going to be a PS5 console exclusive and will also be coming to PC. I'm sure this will make a lot of people happy, I'm interested to see the modern reaction to a game that I think has aged poorly. Even at the time I thought the levels were restrictive and the fact I couldn't complete the game because of the character choices I had made really sucked any enjoyment I had managed to get from the game. Calling it a remake perhaps says they will make some wider changes than a normal remaster which I think it needs.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: KOTOR Remake

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:37 am

Loved it at the time but I probably wouldn't replay the original these days as I don't think it will have aged too well. This wouldn't be an insta-buy for me, but I'll keep tabs on it for sure.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:48 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:19 am
Calling it a remake perhaps says they will make some wider changes than a normal remaster which I think it needs.
That's what it looks like to me. While a remaster wouldn't be unwelcome given its age, a proper remake is an enticing prospect.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:51 am

I'm very much interested as it's the only big Star Wars game (from when Star Wars games were good) that I haven't played. If it's a full-on remake like FF7 then it'll likely flesh out a lot of the level design as it won't be hamstrung by the same technical constraints. It's just a shame that I think I know the big story twists.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:08 am

The one issue with it possibly being a full remake is that it's Aspyr who are not the most talented of developers.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:14 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:51 am
I'm very much interested as it's the only big Star Wars game (from when Star Wars games were good) that I haven't played. If it's a full-on remake like FF7 then it'll likely flesh out a lot of the level design as it won't be hamstrung by the same technical constraints. It's just a shame that I think I know the big story twists.
I can't imagine what playing it for the first time would be like now, but I don't expect it would be great. The morality choices, while innovative at the time, are hilariously ham-fisted and mostly devoid of any nuance. Your options are basically selfless saint or vindictive maniac, the latter of which is probably the more entertaining.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:22 am

The hugely constrained areas and linearity would probably grate a lot as well.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:02 am

I hope they revamp the combat slightly too. It always irked me with those games that it was a straight conversion of dice rolls under the hood so you'd watch combat play out with people swinging lightsabers at each other in melee range and completely miss half the time.