Elden Ring

Steam, Deals & More.
Raid
Local

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up, but I've not seen any issues reported with the XBox version. It's how I've always used the console, and it's sorta necessary given how painful the load times are on the One X (which I think has an SSD, but not the modern style).

Is Caelid the region North of Limgard? I've only ventured to the first church there.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:26 am
I would be careful when using the rest/suspend mode on the Xbox version. I don't know if this bug is prevalent across consoles, but I put the PS5 into rest mode to charge the controller on Sunday and it corrupted the installation of the game. Elden Ring wasn't even launched at the time and yet when I went to play later that night it threw up an error code and refused to launch the app.

It seems that the corrupt files are linked with putting the PS5 into rest mode at any point and it required a full fresh install of the game.
I've been setting my PS5 to rest mode every time and touchwood I've not had the issue so far. It's way more convenient compared to turning it off fully. I did chuckle when it prompted me to update the game at the weekend and then told me off for having the temerity to not shut the game down first.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:25 pm

Perhaps it is pure pot luck then. It happened to me the first time I booted the game back up after my initial playthrough the night before. I've avoided rest mode since then as a precaution anyway.
Raid wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:13 pm
Is Caelid the region North of Limgard? I've only ventured to the first church there.
Caelid is the entire Eastern half of the map where the land is all red. It is quite a terrifying place, distinct vibes of another one of FromSoft's games.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:59 pm

I've not had an issue on Xbox going into rest mode but it does kick me back to the menu everytime due to the online conenction beiung severed. The load times on Xbox in general are not the best Raid, slow even on my Series X.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:46 pm

So I explored most of Caelid last night and a friend was telling me about a totally separate lake area to the north of Limgrave. Out of curiosity I Googled the world map just to see how big it is and oh my word, I am not finishing this game for a long time. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:53 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:59 pm
I've not had an issue on Xbox going into rest mode but it does kick me back to the menu everytime due to the online conenction beiung severed. The load times on Xbox in general are not the best Raid, slow even on my Series X.
I've actually not used the online features whatsoever because the servers wouldn't connect when I first booted the game. Because I haven't used the XBox for anything else and I suspend the game rather than closing it, I've never actually attempted to reconnect. I really ought to as I'm told the little ghosts and messages are almost like a co-operative experience.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:25 pm

The bloodstains are always amusing to watch and generally hint when there's a big challenge ahead by the sheer number usually concentrated in one place. The messages vary, some offer genuinely helpful advice, a lot are trolling to get you to kill yourself and the rest are a variation on "try fingers... ...but hole".

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 am

You should turn it on as the messages, blood stains and ghosts are part of the game. Summoning is also nice to do, I often do a bit of summoning after I've beaten a boss to help people out and it provides a nice boost of runes as well.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:25 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 am
You should turn it on as the messages, blood stains and ghosts are part of the game.
I turn it off because I'm firmly against multiplayer intrusions into my single player gaming. That side of it is not remotely for me, and I'd argue that if it wasn't a valid way of playing the game then it wouldn't be part of the game, especially when you consider how aggressively FromSoft reject notions of an easy mode for being against their design ethos.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am

I find the ghosts, messages and the bloodstains really irritating. Theyre littered everywhere and make everything look like shit. Youre wise to leave them off.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:03 am

When you say intrusions Wrath, do you mean the players that can invade your game? Do you not have to enable those with... fingers (I really wish they'd chosen a different word for those things, it makes the dialogue sound really awkward)?

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:12 am

Whats wrong with the finger maiden? :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:17 am

Raid wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:03 am
When you say intrusions Wrath, do you mean the players that can invade your game? Do you not have to enable those with... fingers (I really wish they'd chosen a different word for those things, it makes the dialogue sound really awkward)?
Not that specifically, but including that. I mean any outside influence on the game - I don't want bloodstains with immersion-breaking messages or ghosts pootling about for the same reasons I don't play multiplayer games in general. I've got D&D for multiplayer. When I play video games, they're for me.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:00 pm

Might have fixed the suspend issue you were having on PlayStation Mantis.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:59 am