Elden Ring

Steam, Deals & More.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:41 am

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:33 am

How're people getting on with it? I've really been taking my time in the lakes and getting distracted doing other side dungeons in different areas. Polished off the area last night and made a start on the dreaded Caelid. Popped up to the plateau too as I'd found the second lift medallion, some areas are pretty beyond me right now but it is a gorgeous area to explore.

I did the Academy boss quite a few times in coop to stockpile rune arcs which has added a lot of hours onto my play time, but currently I'm say at almost 70 hours in and probably only about half way into the game!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:54 am

I haven't actually touched it in a week, I've just had other things to be doing.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:03 pm

I ventured into Caelid very early on and got pummelled, but I did some sprinting around on Torrent for a bit of nightmare tourism. :lol:

I’ve just finished Raya Lucaria and am now exploring southwest (West Lake Lurnia, I think).

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:50 pm

I'm still playing off and on but I feel I'd play more without the open world. I liked it alright at first but now its just a place to charge Torrent through pointlessly to get to the next area. I think I'll be googling "where is next dungeon" going forward, guess I'm not gud. :cry:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:59 pm

Been playing off and on, never got on with the Souls games but getting a bit of a WoW vibe playing as a mage. I'm about lvl.51 with some decent spells but haven't tackled Margit yet. Don't know if I'll ever complete it but it's a good enough time-sink.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:45 pm

I've been watching this with interest. I bounced off Dark Souls hard and never tried another. I was wondering what the open world would bring and how people would take to it. I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn and wishing that it was a bit more enigmatic like Elden Ring seems to be. Still not sure on the difficulty curve either but I like the setting so far. Trying to understand the mechanics has been my biggest issue (watching a 'Let's Play) - I have no clue what impacts what.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:00 pm

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:53 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:48 pm

arqueturus wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:45 pm
I've been watching this with interest. I bounced off Dark Souls hard and never tried another. I was wondering what the open world would bring and how people would take to it. I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn and wishing that it was a bit more enigmatic like Elden Ring seems to be. Still not sure on the difficulty curve either but I like the setting so far. Trying to understand the mechanics has been my biggest issue (watching a 'Let's Play) - I have no clue what impacts what.
I loved H:ZD, especially when you can get the baddies hacked to be on your side. I never got tired of sneakily hacking the huge baddies and watching them scrap with one another, felt like the director of my own monster movies :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:28 pm

Just got to Caria Manor. Whoever designed the courtyard has some serious issues, and I’m pretty sure it’s this guy:
Spoiler

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:16 pm

Yeah the courtyard section was awful. Those enemies are such a pain in the arse to fight and their movement animation creeps me out. The larger enemy is just pure BS too because the hitbox is so enormous and seemingly impossible to dodge around.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:56 pm

Finally made it to the capital. Some thoughts on the boss fight to get in there (and Radahn):
Spoiler
The Draconic Tree Sentinel is an utter, total bastard. :lol: It must have taken me 20 or so attempts at level 77 with a +14 weapon. In the end I went with the rotting dog thing ashes which gives the Sentinel scarlet rot, and as soon as he brought out the lightning hammer I went 100% defensive. It's so tempting to get a few hits in when he charges, but I found that it was too tricky to pull it off consistently without getting splatted. Dodging on foot isn't too hard once you've got the timing down and you can just roll past him and then away when he charges. It took a while but the scarlet rot eventually finished him off.

Conversely, Radahn - who I've heard so much turmoil about online - wasn't too bad. I think I got to him just after he'd been nerfed in a patch, so maybe he was much harder before, but it only took about 5 goes with no special preparations.
Looking forward to finishing now as I want to deep-dive into some lore videos to explain what on earth is going on with everything! It's fun to discover bizarre and terrible things and pick up hints about people and events, but there's a point where it's simply too subtle to be a coherent story. I'd say it's both a strength and a weakness of the Souls games.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:57 am

I just beat Radahn myself and was surprised at how easy it seemed given the grief people seem to have had with him online. I just summoned every npc available to me then hit him with my scarlet rot breath and my Halo Scythe a few times. By the time he'd landed back in the area after his midpoint animation he had less than a third of his health left which I burst down by proccing the bleed from my scythe. Beat him first go and only took one hit the entire fight. I've had more trouble with some of the evergaol bosses than that.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:11 pm

Apparently he was nerfed in the latest patch.