Elden Ring

Steam, Deals & More.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Mantis » Wed May 11, 2022 12:29 pm

Phew. Finally got there myself. Definitely one of the easier From games to platinum though the endgame challenge is pretty up there with the sheer number of damage sponge AoE attack bosses.
Spoiler
Elden Beast was a struggle and I had to respec out of my bleed dex build into more faith and incantation damage but he wasn't too tough after that. Not a great final boss though because of how much he runs away and just spams endless spells at you.

Malenia, Maliketh and Placidusax take the crown for the top boss battles for me. Placidusax felt like he should have been the final boss, a seriously epic encounter.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed May 11, 2022 12:53 pm

Malenia is a great fight and I felt like I was putting everything I'd learned throughout the game into practice. Maliketh was just total chaos and panic, though - it only took about 3 attempts but I've no idea how I scraped through the second phase. Felt more like luck than anything.

I'm undecided on whether I prefer the open world of Elden Ring or the tightly-designed areas of previous From games. I'm a good way through Dark Souls now and the way the world connects together is incredible and feels much more intricate than Elden Ring, but the freedom of the Lands Between is liberating and the dramatic landscapes you see are totally worth the format change. I think it was the right choice for Elden Ring; I'm not sure if I want the next game to go that direction, though.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm

I'm hoping they keep the open world aspect limited to Elden Ring and stick with smaller worlds for their other franchises. Elden Ring is incredible in its sheer scope, there were many occasions I stopped for a few minutes just to soak in the views and atmosphere. But overall I think Dark Souls, DkS3, Bloodborne and DeS are better games. That said, they're not exactly easy to top. Elden Ring is still the best open world game I've ever played by a decent margin.

The repetitive asset reuse towards the end just dragged it down a bit too much to beat its predecessors for me. Particularly in areas that seemed to only throw combinations of the most obnoxious units in the game at you all at once, and some of the later mini dungeons had a few too many "gotcha" moments in where it was clearly designed to be extra cruel. There's only so many giant hands, crucible knights, tree spirits and lacerated rot worms that I can fight before it gets super stale. The Haligtree and Crumbling Azula were very nicely designed areas though.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:45 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:51 am

:D

I had a second run through Elden Ring over Christmas playing as a dex/int build, which finally cleared off the Elden Beast and a few other bosses I'd missed on my first run. Enjoyed it even more this time.

I was slightly concerned about halfway through when I discovered they'd nerfed Rivers of Blood, which I'd heavily relied upon on my first run because it did ludicrous damage. Instead I went with dual-wielding Moonveil (which is superb) and the Uchigatana, which is loads of fun. I did briefly toy with a magic build, but it didn't grab me as much - I liked the ranged capability but I missed the visceral terror of getting up close. Moonveil is a great compromise because you get the best of both worlds.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:43 pm

A new character may be in order for me when this DLC drops.

It'll certainly be interesting experiencing for a second time round. Boy does that game have a few jaw dropping moments in.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:11 pm

Shadow of the Erdtree coming out 21st June.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:51 pm

Wrathbone wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:11 pm
Shadow of the Erdtree coming out 21st June.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:D

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:13 pm

https://www.pcgamer.com/elden-ring-shad ... s-malenia/

Damn I hated Malenia, but I was determined not to let her prevent me from 100%.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:32 pm

For some reason I've not had huge trouble with Malenia in my 3 runs so far, whereas Fire Giant and Elden Beast I find an absolute nightmare. Don't get me wrong, Malenia is tough, but I wouldn't count her in my top 5 (maybe even top 10) most difficult bosses across FromSoft games. It's a great battle, though, and her second stage is visually stunning.