Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Steam, Deals & More.
Rusty

Re: Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:27 pm

Isn't that the whole point of these things? Isn't it based on blockchain? No body should be able to amend anything or delete anything.
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Re: Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:25 am

https://www.polygon.com/22906525/ubisof ... -interview
“For now, because of the current situation and context of NFTs, gamers really believe it’s first destroying the planet, and second a tool for speculation,” Nicolas Pouard, who leads Ubisoft’s Strategic Innovations Lab, told the Australian product comparison site Finder. “The end game is about giving players the opportunity to resell their items once they’re finished with them, or they’re finished playing the game itself.”
I realise Ubisoft are towing the company line to push NFTs, but is it possible that they’re so disillusioned that they’ve forgotten that people play games to be entertained, not for their commercial opportunities? Their stance is so far beyond anything that appeals to my gaming sensibilities that they may as well be trying to convince me that what Pac-Man really needed was timeshare incentives.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:48 am

Sadly I think it's more cynical than that. They're not trying to convince us because they've forgotten why people play games, it's just that they're desperately trying to open new revenue streams to please shareholders. 2021 wasn't a particularly great year for games, partially due to the development delays introduced by the pandemic, and I suspect earnings are down. Shareholders won't like that, and they're the ones that can fire the guy at the top, so the guy at the top is jumping on every new idea that has promise.

I think to CEOs and others at the top, it's not the games that are their company's product, it's the gamers. We're not the customers, the shareholders are.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:56 pm

I wonder just how many publishers are going to try this bullshit. Today's entry is Team 17 selling URLs for stupid procedurally generated artwork from the Worms series.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022 ... worms-nfts

They do at least pay lip service to the environmental impact these idiotic things have, but it's a pretty terrible defence. They quote the number of kettles you'd have to run to use the same amount of energy as 100000 of their NFT sales. The problem is that kettles are notorious energy hogs, and it still uses vastly more energy than a standard payment system would, for no extra benefit.

Every company trying to make these things stick is going to be taking a PR hit. I hope they realise that.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:19 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:56 pm
They do at least pay lip service to the environmental impact these idiotic things have, but it's a pretty terrible defence. They quote the number of kettles you'd have to run to use the same amount of energy as 100000 of their NFT sales. The problem is that kettles are notorious energy hogs, and it still uses vastly more energy than a standard payment system would, for no extra benefit.
I initially skimmed and misread their statement as being the energy output of boiling 11 kettles, but it's far worse than that. It's the energy output for the average ANNUAL kettle usage of 11 households. I probably boil the kettle about 6-8 times a day, so let's say 7 as an average, so 2555 times a year. Multiplied by 11 that's the energy output of 28,105 boiling kettles. :shock:

Even ignoring all the many other problems with NFTs, calling it environmentally friendly is obscene.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:24 pm

Does anyone know why they cant use the Chia or Sia system which is magnitudes less in energy use compared to Eth or is it just the popularity. Eth is changing to a POS (yes ¬_¬) system this year which should drastically reduce energy use so..... yay NFTs?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:29 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:19 pm
I initially skimmed and misread their statement as being the energy output of boiling 11 kettles, but it's far worse than that. It's the energy output for the average ANNUAL kettle usage of 11 households. I probably boil the kettle about 6-8 times a day, so let's say 7 as an average, so 2555 times a year. Multiplied by 11 that's the energy output of 28,105 boiling kettles. :shock:

Even ignoring all the many other problems with NFTs, calling it environmentally friendly is obscene.
Holy hell, yes, I missed the annual bit. That's utterly ridiculous. =D>

As someone in the comments section wrote, it's like saying that being punched in the face is nose-friendly by point of comparison of getting shot with a gun in the same spot.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:42 pm

This is brilliant. Nobody told Team 17's development partners about the NFT launch. The developers are fuming and vowing not to work with the company again.

Team 17's owners had best hope the NFT sales of glittery Worms characters take off, because they're not going to have anything else to sell soon.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:24 pm

Yep, that'll do it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022 ... e-backlash

I hope more people take a stand against these bullshit announcements and force more U-turns.

Troy Baker announced that he's pulling his support from the voice NFT site that he'd partnered with too following the huge backlash.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:56 am

Apparently EA are starting to row back slightly on their pro-NFTs stance.