Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Steam, Deals & More.
Wrathbone
Local

Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:53 pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021 ... siness-sim

I don't think I've ever seen a gaming concept this awful. Not only is it face-clawingly dull, it's built around the insidious world of NFTs. And of course Molyneux is lathering the announcement with his typical overblown claptrap that he promised he'd stop doing.

How is 22cans still in business?

Raid
Local

Re: Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:59 pm

For fucks sakes Peter, just open a bloody Etsy store.

Alan

Re: Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:05 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:53 pm
I don't think I've ever seen a gaming concept this awful. Not only is it face-clawingly dull
I mean.... their first game had you tapping a box for months on the off chance you might be the one person to break it open. :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:10 pm

True, but there was a mystery at the centre of the box! That turned out to be bollocks, of course, but at least there was a reveal to look forward to at the end.

Legacy's concept is laughably boring. I'd be more hyped about a game where you fill in a series of complicated tax audit forms. At least that would have the tension of whether you'd pass the audit.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:41 pm

Peter Molyneux could do no wrong in my eyes. Then he took my money with an unfinished Godus game. I was burnt then... never again
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:47 pm

I'm so old I can still remember when Peter Molyneux's name was synonymous with innovation and quality.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm

And an amazing Winamp plug in that had Black and White creatures dance to your music.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:02 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:47 pm
I'm so old I can still remember when Peter Molyneux's name was synonymous with innovation and quality.
That's what staggers me about how bad this is. Molyneux created wonderful, imaginative games like Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Magic Carpet and Syndicate - heck, even Fable was decent. And now there's this:
Legacy is a game that leverages player ownership, play-to-earn, lend-to-earn, highly functional NFTs and a truly unique community driven economy
WTF happened?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:07 pm

Peter has been going increasingly meta over the years. I reckon it started with Black and White, where the player didn't fully control the game, and you instead had to interact with the giant animal. Obviously a lot of people very much enjoyed Black and White, and perhaps he took that as validation, albeit for different reasons. He's not just being creative anymore, he's being creative about being creative.

Unfortunately he's now turning creative about capitalism.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Peter is the game version of the parody of Stephen King.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:45 pm

At this point I think he is just a con man.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:05 pm

I thought he left the video game business building?

I am neutral about all this NFT hysteria. I do not see it any different as all the other MTX that has plagued the industry. There is a huge vocal criticism to NFTs but people also hate lootboxes, yet someone (and by all accounts a lot of people) are fueling spending. 2/3 of EA revenue come from MTX and lootboxes. Go figure.

Coming back to Molyneux, he is better off doing something completely different after the number of bridges he has burnt.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:34 pm

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/peter- ... on-in-nfts

I understand very little about this, but what I do understand, I kinda hate.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:15 am

The whole thing feels shady, which shouldn't be surprising considering 22cans' track record. What have they actually produced in the almost-10 years they've been around? The Cube was a dumb experiment that didn't pay off, Godus was supposed to be the payoff but the game was shit and the Cube reward never happened (not that it would have mattered to anyone but the winner), then they abandoned Godus in favour of Godus Wars which was also shit and years later is still in early access. The fact that the new game is called Legacy isn't just ironic, it's practically trolling. Molyneux raking in £40m for doing fuck all is a perfect microcosm of his work this past decade.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:18 am

One of the reasons I'm distrustful of the whole NFT industry (if that term's even appropriate) is that it just feels like a more modern form of money laundering. There are huge sums of money being exchanged for things with no intrinsic value, and because NFTs don't appear to be in any way regulated, nobody is asking where the money is coming from. It's basically untraceable due to it relying on crypto currencies. So when I read...
The most expensive was a London plot, a limited edition of one at Ancient (artificial) rarity, which sold for the equivalent of about £670,000.
...how can it be anything else? A virtual piece of land in a game that nobody knew anything about until a few days ago, from a developer without a good track record, selling for two thirds of a million pounds? I don't pretend to know the inner workings of the extremely wealthy, but I can't see this being a single gamer, and I don't think a company would invest in a project this unknown. And then there's £40,000,000 worth of other purchases? More money than most games will ever make in their lifetime?

Shady doesn't even begin to describe it.