Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Steam, Deals & More.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:41 pm

If (when) a major publisher makes NFTs a substantial part of a AAA game, do you think there’s enough public loathing of the concept for the game to fail in a total and humiliating disaster? Because if it’s even remotely successful then that’ll be the opening of the floodgates.

At this rate I’ll be replaying Witcher 3 on a loop for the rest of my days. :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Roses are red, violets are blue. Here's some new guff from Peter Molyneux...

Post by Mantis » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:48 pm

I don't think enough people even really understand what they are to get outraged. In fact overall I would say there is still a hype around them so it might actually be the opposite when a full release launches with an extensive market implemented.

The gaming industry is by far the worst when it comes to jumping on these new exploitative income models. Micro-transactions, loot boxes, NFTs; you can always count on big publishers to be right at the forefront of sucking the consumers dry.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:59 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:48 pm
The gaming industry is by far the worst when it comes to jumping on these new exploitative income models. Micro-transactions, loot boxes, NFTs; you can always count on big publishers to be right at the forefront of sucking the consumers dry.
I expect it’s because lawmakers have no clue about gaming, so all they see is technobabble and lots of money.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:27 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:48 pm
I don't think enough people even really understand what they are to get outraged.
This. Hell, I think I'm relatively clued up on tech topics with social implications, and I didn't really understand how awful these things were until just last month. We haven't a hope in hell of our government here in the UK doing anything about it, so the only thing I can suggest is trying to educate the gaming public about them.

The blatant stuff like Ubisoft's Quartz bollocks is getting shot down because people can see no tangible benefit. It'll just force companies to invent more insidious ways of getting NFTs into our games. I think it's only a matter of time.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 pm

Annoyed to learn today that the dev studio behind the Expeditions games, which I've enjoyed (Conquistador, Viking and, now, Rome which is just out and bloody good), is shutting down to reopen as a new studio focused on developing NFT games -_-

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:35 pm

And this doesn't seem like a good thing either

https://www.cracked.com/article_32467_v ... sucks.html

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 am

with all this enthusiasm to buy an NFT, do we know anyone that actually owns one?
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:44 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 am
with all this enthusiasm to buy an NFT, do we know anyone that actually owns one?
Paris Hilton and Jimmy Fallon -_-

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/paris-hilton ... onds-ever/

Pretty good advert to not have one.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:32 pm

Why on earth are they giving Hilton air-time again?!

What an absolute sack of shit that was to watch.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:38 pm

The more I learn about NFTs the more I'm convinced that they literally are just a con. Absolute nonsense.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:53 am

This is a lengthy but very interesting and informative watch for anyone who is curious as to why they're so terrible.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:57 pm

"Atari" are releasing NFT lootboxes for the "company's" 50th anniversary.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022 ... nniversary

I'm trying to wrap my head around this one; you're paying for a link to a virtual item that may be shit, very shit or ultra-shit? You have the chance of getting a "rare" link?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:04 pm

I'm sure there's a more appropriate thread to post this, but its on theme so sticking it here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ke/618488/

Interesting read on the original concept behind them and how big tech companies have jumped on to exploit it.

I always thought that the concept of NFTs as a way to essentially curate ownership of digital art was an interesting one. With artists moving online and digital art becoming so prevalent in the world, the idea of actually being able to ensure fair distribution and attribution of an artists work when sold, shared or used online in some form is a positive cause that actually directly empowers the artists. I can see them surviving in this form as a niche market if they can get around the technical issues where you don't actually own the original copy somehow.

I didn't realise that this was the actual origin for which NFTs were actually conceived. It's a shame that corporate interests seized upon it immediately and have pretty much ruined them. Obviously that's not even considering the wider environmental impacts and the huge criminality element that lets people launder money so easily through Crypto with them.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:22 am

Devs make an NFT game, make a million quid, then delete said game... not a scam, apparently?

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/unofficial-m ... mment-jump