Microsoft buy Activision Blizzard for $70bn

Steam, Deals & More.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Microsoft buy Activision Blizzard for $70bn

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am

Mr. Kotick has been eager to change the public narrative about the company, and in recent weeks has suggested Activision Blizzard make some kind of acquisition, including of gaming-trade publications like Kotaku and PC Gamer, according to people familiar with him. The Activision spokeswoman, Ms. Klasky, disputed that Mr. Kotick wanted to make the acquisitions. A spokesman for G/O Media, the parent company of Kotaku, declined to comment. PC Gamer didn’t respond to a request for comment. - Wall Street Journal
:lol:
"Sony Group Corp. shares fell 13% in Tokyo on Wednesday, their biggest drop since October 2008, after PlayStation rival Microsoft Corp. announced a $69 billion deal to acquire games publisher Activision Blizzard Inc. Wiping $20 billion off Sony’s valuation in a day. - Bloomberg
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:25 am

Rossell wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:18 pm
That has to be a monopoly case now surely.
I don't think so. Xbox has always lagged behind PS in terms of overall market share, so this should bring them closer to a level pegging. Any deal of this size rings alarm bells, but in this case I think it has strong potential to be good for everyone.

It'll be good for gamers because it will force Sony to up their game and create more competition in the market.

It'll be good for GamePass as its retinue will expand. Even with a price hike, it will still be outrageous value.

It'll be good for PC gaming as MS are finally making progress on their decades of promising to take it seriously, which will create greater competition with Steam.

It could be good for Blizzard if Kotick leaves and their new overlords treat their many problems with the severity they deserve, forcing them to turn a new leaf.

The only group it almost certainly won't be good for is gamers who mostly play CoD and only have a Playstation, but frankly they need a boot up the backside anyway. ;)

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:27 pm

I wonder how much EA would have cost because maaaaan, the properties EA have in their vaults!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 pm

market cap is $38 billion

Microsoft will not make any more acquisitions now. Their intention was to win market share, not take over the entire space.

Also EA Play is already on GamePass, so acquiring EA would be a mute point
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:00 pm

If it's all about getting more titles on Game Pass to push their subscription model usercount through the roof then EA wont be as big a target because they already did the deal with them to put all their titles on there via EA Play.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:01 pm

Yeah but that doesn't make a new Syndicate game!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:00 pm
If it's all about getting more titles on Game Pass to push their subscription model usercount through the roof then EA wont be as big a target because they already did the deal with them to put all their titles on there via EA Play.
exactly !

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 pm

Microsoft will not make any more acquisitions now. Their intention was to win market share, not take over the entire space.

I try not to do this too much, but seeing as it's a personal bugbear of mine - it's moot point, not mute point.

And yes, I'm aware that the modern usage of moot is ironically the complete opposite of its original meaning, as points discussed at moots would have been of great importance -_-

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:05 pm

I think you'll find...

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:07 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm
Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 pm

I try not to do this too much, but seeing as it's a personal bugbear of mine - it's moot point, not mute point.

And yes, I'm aware that the modern usage of moot is ironically the complete opposite of its original meaning, as points discussed at moots would have been of great importance -_-
its all greek to me

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:05 pm
I think you'll find...

:lol:

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm
Saved me from having to be That Guy™! :D

I'm always a bit unsure. Sometimes people appreciate learning a new thing, and sometimes people are more "FUCK YOU".

There is no in-between.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:37 am

So does battlenet go away? That would be very nice if it did! Though if they do the smart thing they should rename their PC app to Battlenet because its a great name and certainly better than Xbox App For Windows.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:18 pm

I don't really play Blizzard games anymore so it wouldn't be an issue really, but I still really hope that Msoft don't just integrate everything into the Xbox App and bin all the standalone ones.

The Xbox App is objectively terrible. It's literally the only pc gaming app I've ever used which struggles with basic functionality like letting you connect to other people in multiplayer. And on occasion it will get stuck downloading an update for a game and then the entire installation will corrupt and force me to reinstall the game from scratch. It really does my head in with how janky it is.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:03 pm

I will rant to anyone who will listen about how fucking shit Microsoft are.

They can own;
* The game itself and studio that makes it
* The platform used to distribute it
* The entire fucking operating system it all runs on

… and they still can't get even basic functionality to work reliably. They are an absolute fucking shambles and should be embarrassed and ashamed of their work.

That's not even to mention that the OS is still a half-baked mixture of new and old UI, where the new UI only has half the functionality (which of course has bugs so it doesn't even fucking work), so you end up having to use old faithful half the time anyway.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.