Sony buys Bungie for $3.6bn

Steam, Deals & More.
Mantis
Landlord

Sony buys Bungie for $3.6bn

Post by Mantis » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:18 pm

What a bizarre scene modern day gaming is where Microsoft owns Crash Bandicoot and Sony owns the Halo developer.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022 ... r-usd3-6bn

I hope Bungie's next big game is a solid shooter and not more bullet sponge MMO-lite crap. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Sony paying the bills. I'll be gutted if it just turns out to be Destiny 3.

Alan

Re: Sony buys Bungie for $3.6bn

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:24 pm

That seems….. stupid… :-s

Edit- they’re staying independent of Sony studios, remaining multi platform and can self publish? What did they get for $3.6bil? :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:54 pm

Wasn't Destiny 2 a bit of a flop? Say what you want about Microsoft's big-ticket acquisitions, but at least the games involved are massive hits.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:11 pm

Also MS only payed twice that for Bethesda and their huge catalogue. Bungie comes with Destiny and Marathon? Uhhhh….

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:29 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:54 pm
Wasn't Destiny 2 a bit of a flop? Say what you want about Microsoft's big-ticket acquisitions, but at least the games involved are massive hits.
Not really, sold well and continues to take money in. It wasn't pleasing Activision but them little does.

Does fell like a weird one to me, especially at that price.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:46 pm

Sounds like an extremely expensive fuck you to Microsoft. Very strange times indeed.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:14 pm

I'm not sure it's even a very good FU to Microsoft. I think Bungie leaving Microsoft because they didn't want to do more Halo games was the insult, frankly I think Microsoft acquiring studios with some of the biggest franchises in the industry rather beats Sony getting Destiny.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:16 pm

Destiny 2 has a pretty loyal and active playerbase and has been supported quite extensively since release with a variety of story expansions. It always had close ties with Sony too as they released first on their platform I believe, or at least it had exclusive Playstation content for a long time.

I'd be surprised if this was done as a reaction to Microsoft buying Activision. These kinds of buyout talks seldom happen overnight and were likely set in motion before Microsoft went public with their buyout.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:00 am

Many are coming at all this all wrong confused as to what Bungie has to really offer Sony overall for such an amount.

Destiny players have largely accepted if not become entirely accustomed to the fact Bungie can remove past paid for content at their own discretion, the way the game is serviced they will be absolutely fine with it* Myself I hit the what fuck this - not viable wall and walked away, majority is in deep and continue to unceremoniously complain consuming everything new Bungie can muster in terms of dlc paid passes and store purchases.

*The vocal minority who initially challenge it but Destiny addiction naturally services this over time content added content removed pleh, give us that daily fix. Destiny purer instant gratification experience than most and the ties that bind be more than plentiful. Bungie is aware long as they keep announcing additional future wait till we give you this fucking content OMG isn't it exciting player base will eat it up like a morning bowl o' breakfast.

Sony has made a clever if widely viewed as shrewd counter MS purchase though tbf it was probably in the works for years will make more sense in the long run than it does right now as they branch it out in new ways. Bungie left Activision Bungie was then all I'm the Activision now. This next step was pretty inevitable Sony were in desperate need of an established fps ip.
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/so-if-its-no ... uy-bungie/
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:32 am

Or, “you better keep giving us CoD or you’ll not get Destiny 3!”

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:05 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:32 am
Or, “you better keep giving us CoD or you’ll not get Destiny 3!”
I think Microsoft would be fine if Sony tried that.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:21 pm

Mantis wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:18 pm
I'll be gutted if it just turns out to be Destiny 3.
Don't you ruin Destiny for me!
Raid wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:54 pm
Wasn't Destiny 2 a bit of a flop?
Over a million people pre-ordered the next DLC, I think it's doing alright.
Lennyquantum wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:00 am
The vocal minority who initially challenge it but Destiny addiction naturally services this over time content added content removed pleh, give us that daily fix. Destiny purer instant gratification experience than most and the ties that bind be more than plentiful.
I'm not aiming to be mean, but I had to stop reading here because it's like a Markov chain of words. I have no idea what you're trying to say?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.