Starfield has a release date

Steam, Deals & More.
Snowy
Local

Re: Starfield has a release date

Post by Snowy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:38 pm

I think I may be done with it, at least for now. Initially I quite enjoyed it, but it just feels so soulless I have no enthusiasm to go back.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:52 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:38 pm
I think I may be done with it, at least for now. Initially I quite enjoyed it, but it just feels so soulless I have no enthusiasm to go back.
Yeah, I even uninstalled it a week or more back, no regrets.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:22 am

If leveling up wasn't such a grind I'd almost be in danger of enjoying it. Getting just 1 or 2 XP for cooking or making crafting components is a joke. You also get fuck all for combat either in space or on the ground. Skyrim and Fallout 4 encouraged you to craft and explore with generous XP rewards. Starfield is a slog, I've cleared out spacers from identical abandoned research centres on identical looking planets what feels like hundreds of times now. I've been concentrating my skill points on the ship building as it's the one thing I do enjoy but to the detriment of everything else.

It's all so fucking bland.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:00 am

I feel the same way. When I played the intro I remember being quite impressed with the combat feel as opposed to what I had experienced in the Fallout games (although Fallout wins for the VATS combat which I used way more than real-time). It quickly becomes apparent though that the combat while smooth is ultimately very bland. All the enemies are dumb as rocks, and provided you have cover are simple to take out. Space combat feels like an average mini-game. Travel between planets is just menus and cutscenes, so doesn't actually feel like you are travelling anywhere - my many hours in Elite Dangerous have spoiled me on that front, but I am sure many players of Starfield will have enjoyed other space-games. Everywhere you go feels like it is just a bunch of mannequins or automatons, nowhere feels anything other than set dressing, they don't feel real at all. The whole thing just added up to an underwhelming experience for me, but I am pleased to see that others are enjoying it - just wish it had grabbed me more.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:28 am

This guy pretty much nails it - basically says he's enjoying it despite itself and then goes on and lists all the faults with it:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:21 am

That was very good, he put over 100 hours into the game so he knows his stuff. As he mentions the modding community had fixes for the UI and graphics with the first 24 hours of its release.
Spoiler
I never knew you got "super powers" after a certain point in the game. Meh

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:23 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:28 am
This guy pretty much nails it - basically says he's enjoying it despite itself and then goes on and lists all the faults with it:
That was fun to watch. His delivery is a little odd, like how he spins around and his eyes don't track the camera, kinda like an animatronic Disney/mannequin thing... But insightful stuff, seriously. I didn't realize the game was so limiting in so many ways, I really believed Mr. Howard when he said you could do anything, be anyone, etc etc. I doubt I'll ever play this, honestly, after watching this.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:18 am

If you have Game Pass I'd give it a go and see if you like it. Otherwise I'd wait for it to go on sale or a Goty version to come out. There's a good game in there just waiting to be modded out of its mediocrity.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:32 am

I was glad this was on Gamepass as I'd have been very disappointed if i'd put money down for it. I think the barely-existent AI in on-foot fights is game-ruining, and I'm not sure if that can be fixed by modders.

There've been two other stellar RPGs (I'm going off the reaction to C2077's expansion as I've not played it) released in the last 6 weeks that put this to shame.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:08 pm

Warhammer Darktide is on Game Pass today, different sort of game but it's another option.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:11 pm

I think it's only new to the XBox; we've been playing the PC version on and off on Gamepass for six+ months.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:37 pm

Be much fun on solo you think?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:51 pm

I doubt it. The AI's capable enough, but the fun all comes from co-ordinating with your squadmates and the panic that sets in when your backs are up against the wall.

You're more than welcome to poke your head into the Ghosts channel on the Discord. We've been mainlining The Division 2 for a while, but we do play Darktide from time to time. It's a lot of fun, though we tend to only do it in short bursts.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:07 pm

Cheers mate. It's more of a cross play issue really. I'd love to be playing Ghost Recon with a squad but it's not to be.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:49 pm

That's a shame, always nice to get new folks into our little co-op crew.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018