Steam News & Updates

Steam, Deals & More.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Steam News & Updates

Post by Mantis » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:17 am

It doesn't look particularly comfortable at all. But then they had to get that little thumb track pad in somewhere.

This is quite a cool idea but I'm not sure how practical it will be for playing a lot of PC games that don't have console or handheld friendly UIs.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:23 am

I realise I'm in a minority of about one here, but I don't get the appeal of handhelds, at all.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:30 am

Is it me or do the sticks look too high to be comfortable for extended periods?
Possibly. I think it's really difficult to judge these things until you've held it and played for a few hours.

I'm actually vaguely interested in this. I really like the Switch as a piece of hardware, and it's just a perfect console for a lot of indie games, but the software is just more expensive than on PC and Nintendo's first-party titles hardly ever get discounted, so it's an expensive console to own. I'm also not keen on the fact that it's limited to 1080p. On XBox, Gamepass means I don't actually feel the need to buy software outright, and at present it's very reasonably priced, but while the selection of titles is excellent it is still limited.

There are some games that just work better with a gamepad and in the comfort of the living room, and some that work well as a "second screen" title (ie: when the ad breaks come on during the F1). Steam Deck seems like a really good solution for that.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:57 am

I'm impressed with what Valve have made here, it's not something I've a need for but I think there is a market for it and it is reasonably priced so could prove to be popular.

Regarding comfort, people who have had hands on say it is comfortable to use.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:08 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:23 am
I realise I'm in a minority of about one here, but I don't get the appeal of handhelds, at all.
I agree in terms of using a handheld in the house when you've got a PC or console on a nice big screen at hand, although I take Raid's point about having a second screen. I never really use my Switch in handheld mode around the house.

If you travel a lot it really comes into its own, though. Until covid, I had frequent train journeys where I happily spent a few hours gaming on the Switch.

I like the idea of Steam Deck more than I suspect I will like it in practice. Valve's history with this sort of thing is sketchy at best. The Steam controller was (in retrospect, after having forced myself to use it for something like 100+ hours with a variety of games) a total disaster. It's a hateful controller with control mappings that were usually a nightmare to configure and trackpads that simply do not adequately substitute for a mouse in terms of gaming. Nothing at this point convinces me either of those issues have been solved with Steam Deck.

Another issue is that the base model only has 64GB of storage, which renders it unusable for almost everything other than indie games. Maybe you'll get one small AAA game on there if you're lucky. The 240GB model is more viable, but all the marketing headlines of it being a £349 handheld feel slightly misleading.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:11 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:08 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:23 am
I agree in terms of using a handheld in the house when you've got a PC or console on a nice big screen at hand, although I take Raid's point about having a second screen. I never really use my Switch in handheld mode around the house.

If you travel a lot it really comes into its own, though. Until covid, I had frequent train journeys where I happily spent a few hours gaming on the Switch.

I like the idea of Steam Deck more than I suspect I will like it in practice. Valve's history with this sort of thing is sketchy at best. The Steam controller was (in retrospect, after having forced myself to use it for something like 100+ hours with a variety of games) a total disaster. It's a hateful controller with control mappings that were usually a nightmare to configure and trackpads that simply do not adequately substitute for a mouse in terms of gaming. Nothing at this point convinces me either of those issues have been solved with Steam Deck.

Another issue is that the base model only has 64GB of storage, which renders it unusable for almost everything other than indie games. Maybe you'll get one small AAA game on there if you're lucky. The 240GB model is more viable, but all the marketing headlines of it being a £349 handheld feel slightly misleading.
Yeah, fair point on the travelling. I've worked from home since 2005 so it's not something I've been too concerned with for a long time.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:32 am

I definitely agree that 64gb is simply not enough for running PC games. It's worth noting that Jedi Fallen Order, the game that they're demonstrating on the product page, takes up 55gb of drive space. Depending on how much space is taken up with the OS and system software, it might not even fit on the base model. Doom Eternal won't fit. RDR2 is nearly three times the size. They really do need to mention this on the product page, because selling it as capable of playing modern AAA games is simply not accurate in some cases.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:30 am

It is hidden a ways down the page. The top tier model with the highest and fastest storage capacity is pretty expensive too.

You're not alone in not appreciating the handheld market Sly, I've tried many times over the years to get into them because there are actually quite a lot of titles that I wanted to play on them, but I just don't really enjoy having a tiny screen and can never seem to get comfortable when I sit down with one. And that's speaking as someone who frequently traveled and spent nights away with work pre-Covid. The Vita lasted longest for me, I did love that sleek little machine, but even then it never really got super extensive use. I bought a 3DS and played it for a grand total of about three hours and it's been in a cupboard ever since.

Funnily enough the only handheld that I've had any use out of in the last few years is the Switch. I tend to play it undocked at home most of the time, even when the TV is available.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:49 am

Clearly you chaps don’t take long shits.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:22 pm

I think what has been missed a bit by some of the coverage is how cheap an entry to the PC market this is. It's console priced and allows someone to have wide access to the PC market without spending £10000 on a PC and is more portable than a gaming laptop which themselves cost more than the Steam Deck. It's not just about getting those with a PC already to buy it.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:32 pm

the more I read about it the more I am convinced I don't need it
- work from home = no commute
- PC rig at home for gaming
- if going on holiday I actually want to be away from PC gaming
- I have a gaming laptop anyway

This would have been useful when I worked abroad and was stuck in my hotel room for a week but I would usually go out anyway, or read or watch a movie.

I.............just don't need it. Also when docked I understand it plays on 720p resolution, so not ideal.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:49 am
Clearly you chaps don’t take long shits.
that is usually when I read my book.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:23 pm

God has spoken

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:19 am

Can you use steam wallet on hardware? I would assume not since that would be a way to cash out (resell hardware).
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:56 pm

I started to get really excited about this as I need something to while away the evenings when I'm round my girlfriend's.... but then thought I'd be better off getting a nice gaming laptop that would have a bigger screen and more chance of running all my steam catalogue.
It'll cost a wee bit more but I'll get more milage out of it.
-- To be completed at some point --