Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:03 pm
Nooooooooooooooooo. I think I finally see what it was like to not like Far Cry 2. :)
To be wrong, you mean ;)

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed May 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Ouch. :cry:

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Mon May 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:03 pm
Nooooooooooooooooo. I think I finally see what it was like to not like Far Cry 2. :)
Everything, how long you got?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Invisible Inc
I think the name is what made me keep putting off sticking this on. Jings though, this games fantastic! The mechanics seem to make every level a by the seat of your pants affair. The most fun I’ve had with a TBS game in ages.
I used to be eVoL but I got better.
I like everything now.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 15, 2019 1:48 pm

I played a few missions but didn't stick with it for some reason. I do keep meaning to go back to it, though.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:48 pm
I played a few missions but didn't stick with it for some reason. I do keep meaning to go back to it, though.
This.

I have been playing a metric tonne of Forza Horizons 4 of late. I loved the old Test Drive Unlimited games with a passion back in the day, and this is the first title that replicates that feeling. Also, the way they have set it up works perfectly for me, in that you play what you want to play. Often driving games will put in oodles of race styles and when you come up against one that just defies your ability, you get blocked (looking at you, lawnmower racing from Wreckfest) and if you are called Snowy, you lose interest.

With Forza, your open world map (set in a weirdly collapsed version of the lake district and Edinburgh, but on UK roads with UK signage, people driving on the left etc) is riddled with stuff to do, but that if it doesn't interest you can be completely ignored. For example, I love cross country races, both on and off-road, but I just don't get drifting, I can't see the appeal. When playing then, I completely ignore the drift events and focus on those I will enjoy.

Not only that but every few days of real time, the season changes in-game. This affects the map in enjoyable ways, giving you dry, wet, snowy conditions etc. It has a lovely day/night cycle and with the spectacular graphics this looks amazing. Tear-arsing up country roads as the rising sun illuminates the morning mist looks awesome.

Sure it suffers from the standard faults of all driving games, most notably that every character in every driving game is a total dudebro Edwin who needs shooting, preferably using a cannon>sun combo. That is something you can't get past though, all driving games have a terrible premise, this one being that a festival has been set up in the lake district but rather than bands it is for petrolheads to drive like maniacs. Not exactly plausible, but you just pop that to one side and see what the game has to offer.

The answer is loads. Masses of races of all sorts of stripe. Hundreds of vehicles to buy, win, find in barns, auction. Massive amounts of customisation of said vehicles, from paint-jobs to performance upgrades (and if you can't be bothered to make your own paintjob or spec out your own upgrades, just grab someone else's online, all helpfully star rated).

It's fucking brilliant.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 am

Sounds lovely, but it's £50 in the Microsoft store, so they can fuck alllll the way off.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Fri May 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Ouch. I upgraded my rig to Win10 a month or so back, and it was on sale at that point so I snaffled it. I had a look around and it is £30 via CD Keys, so still quite a lot although I would say that's a fair price (you do get a lot of game).

RPS did a very nice review that shows the game better than I have described it.

08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 pm

You can get a three month Game Pass sub for a quid, that gives you access to Forza on PC. You also get Gears 4, Operencia, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 and some others.