Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Solitaire

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Solitaire » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:46 am

Animalmother wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:00 pm
Enlisted
Squad based WW2 shooter that's a cross between Battlefield and Red Orchestra. It's from the guys behind War Thunder so it's free to play and a little bit clunky (still in early access).

Played one round and enjoyed it. The vast majority of the troops are AI controlled so you can just mow down swathes of enemies. Got into a light tank did a flank and just chopped the poor Ruskie conscripts into mincemeat :lol:

Controls are a bit flakey and the squad upgrade screen is daunting with all the options it throws at you. As I said it's early access so no doubt it'll get worked on.
I downloaded this yesterday and having quite a blast at it. There's tons of content, for sure. Player controls one dude and has X number of AI that follow him around like little idiots. Can switch between the fellas, especially if wounded which is handy, can order them around (sort of), etc. Played for a while so I could unlock automatic guns, that's always fun. Molotov cocktails, TNT packs, knifing people to death - all good clean fun :)
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:13 pm

Final Fantasy 5 (Pixel Remaster)

FFV is a game I have a huge amount of nostalgia for; I played it to completion in the summer between college and university nearly 20 years ago, and it remains the only classic JRPG I've actually finished. It has, in my opinion, one of the best game soundtracks of all time, an adorable graphical style, an utterly goofy but entertaining script and story, and a character progression system that gives it a ton of depth, allowing you to make these characters very much your own.

This new version has really updated the world graphics, re-orchestrated all of the music, and added a few little tweaks here and there. The battle system now has an auto-battle option, which speeds the gameplay up with each of your characters just repeating their last used move until the fight is over, speeding you through a lot of the tedious early fights when your characters can't do anything other than attack. It's also the first time I've seen an official script, as it was never originally released in the West and the version I played was a fan-translated SNES ROM. It's cheesy as hell and I love it.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:58 pm

Far Cry 5

I don't give a flying stuff about the story stop interrupting my open world to take me in for a mission you bunch of wankstains.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Far Cry: New Dawn
Bought this ages ago and forgot I had it until last night as I felt like a bit of open world silliness. It's an ok follow up to an ok game in a series that's circling the drain of mediocrity.

First off it's a very pretty game with really vibrant colours and lovely water effects. Bright pink and yellow flowers cover the landscape and even the animals are unusual colours. The facial animations and character models are very detailed and look great. The game itself is a bit run of the mill and the gunplay isn't that satisfying. It's the usual fetch quests and map filled with icons that Ubisoft just love. There's also the two evil twins who immediately got on my tits when they appeared, if you've played Borderlands 3 you'll know the vibe.

I'll plough into it as I do enjoy these games but the glory days of FC 2, 3 and 4 are long past (and I know people don't like each of those titles for various reasons but I did!)

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:46 pm

Rossell wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Far Cry 5

I don't give a flying stuff about the story stop interrupting my open world to take me in for a mission you bunch of wankstains.
They won't. It was my biggest gripe with the game. At one point I was flying a Spitfire way above the map when I got a tranquiliser dart in the leg - fade to black and into a wanky mission.

Also, why does every game have to have a stupid 'tripping your bollocks off' mission in it? I hate all that shit.

FC6 I have left on the Ubi shelves, not the least interested.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 pm

They haven't had my interest in that series since 3.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:49 am

ManBearSquid wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 pm
They haven't had my interest in that series since 3.
Same, as a series it's really emblematic of the way Ubisoft tend to just churn out the same game over and over.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:43 am

Same here too. I played a tonne of 3 and very much enjoyed it, but I never got more than a few hours into 4 and 5. I'm not even sure it's the formula that's the issue (although lord knows it could do with a complete re-think), it's that there's too much going on at any given time. There's no breathing room, which for me defeats the point of having all that wide open space to explore. I gave up on 5 after trying to get from point A to point B by road and being subjected to multiple enemy ambushes, bear attacks (plural) and an eagle attack, all within the space of about 10 minutes. I wish it could just let me bloody well drive somewhere, for once, without everything kicking off!

6 won't be getting my money.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:48 am

Far Cry 1 - played and enjoyed
FC 2 - best in the series (I said it)
FC 3 - good fun
FC 4 - played an hour or two before getting bored
FC 5 - never played, have no intention of doing so
FC Primal - played an hour or two, got bored
FC New Dawn - nope
FC 6 - nah

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:03 pm

Loved 1 at the time, 2 was fine. Every other one I try puts me off as soon as I see the icon vomit on the map. As soon as it feels like a game is actively trying to waste my time I’m out. The best Farcry is Crysis.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:40 am

And the one game they could do with just repeating with new maps and small improvements - Ghost Recon - doesn't get anything. Ubi are tools.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:42 pm

I've been playing Wartales on early access. It's got a strong vibe of Battle Brothers about it, managing a company of mercenaries and fighting turn-based tactical battles. It seems to have a fair amount of depth to it, though I've barely scratched the surface. Early days, but I'm enjoying it so far. If it's anywhere near as good as Battle Brothers then it could be a huge timesink for me.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:08 am

Fights in Tight Spaces

Saw one of the youtubers I follow playing this and picked it up. It's interesting and quite fun. It's kind of like a martial arts card battler - you're a Bond-type special agent who has to clear a series of rooms, and you have a deck of cards that provides your movement and attack abilities. It plays out like a kind of cross between Slay the Spire and Superhot.

If you've any interest in Slay the Spire, it's well worth checking out. It also has a free prologue (aka demo):

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:49 pm

I picked up Gloomhaven and even though I can see it is a really good game and very well done have since refunded it. It just isn't for me, kicked my arse on easy and I bounced off it hard. Shame as I can see that it is good, just not a title for me.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:55 pm

Have you tried it in co-op, Ian? It's a very faithful direct adaptation of the board game apparently and so can be quite unforgiving if your tactical choices aren't sound. The dice rolls aren't a huge part of the game but they can be quite brutal at times if you get an unlucky run. I had a lot of fun with it in co-op and found that it was a lot better without the pressure of having to manage so many different characters.

Having teammates there to call out your obviously poor turn decisions was quite helpful at times too. :lol: