Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:33 am

When I think of Golden Axe its not the countless hours playing the first I think of its Golden Axe Revenge Of Death Adder.

My mate and I were playing and he used Gilius big magic attack and smoke pours, a huge badass skull comes down out the smoke and starts breathing smoke on the playfield then you get a closeup of one of the guys you are killing turning to stone while screaming and then turning to dust. Its fucking badass! We then couldn't wait to see my characters magic so I grabbed all the potions, anticipation growing, cant bloody wait to see another amazing animation.

I hit that motherfucking magic button!

Yas!

.......a very small apple tree grows, 3 apples fall off it and it vanishes.

Metal as fuck.

50.40 for smokeskull
12.14 for the apple tree

53.05 for the barbarians pretty cool one too

If theres annoying youtube talking in that video I apologise, just skipping through it on mute ¬_¬
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:33 am
When I think of Golden Axe its not the countless hours playing the first I think of its Golden Axe Revenge Of Death Adder.
Due to this game never being released on home machines, I have only ever watched it on YouTube, but it does look amazing.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:20 pm

I realise I'm a bit late to the party, but I've only just discovered the existence of MAME.

Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, here I come...
The hissing of rats

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Ha! There I was thinking you had some moral aversion to it ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:46 pm

I didn't actually realise downloading ROMs was illegal. Seems obvious, I guess, but I'd just never thought about it/looked it up until you said that.

Now that I know it is, I actually do have a moral aversion to it. ¬_¬
The hissing of rats

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Bloody hell, have just done something I haven't done for literally years - installed a game from a DVD! :shock:

I had a yin to play the first Codies' Grid game, but I wanted to get it digitally just for the ease of playing (I'd imagined it would be dirt-cheap), but I just couldn't find any remotely legit digital shop selling it. Blew about three inches of dust off my folder of game discs, and still had my original copy tucked away in there.

About to check if it will run ok on this machine, I hope so. The first was always my favourite of the series, I think I liked the dynamic of building a winning team from scratch with race winnings, clawing your way up the rankings to get better team-mates etc. The social media followers thing in the second game was a bit crap imo, while Autosport was technically polished but I never had as much fun with it as I did the first.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:27 am

My current PC case doesn't even have any external drive bays, and my previous PC's DVD drive was unplugged after I ran out of ports for hard drives (well… SSDs)! :lol:
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 am

Drarok wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:27 am
My current PC case doesn't even have any external drive bays, and my previous PC's DVD drive was unplugged after I ran out of ports for hard drives (well… SSDs)! :lol:
When I opened my DVD drawer all I found in there was one of the children's film discs, of a film they hadn't asked to watch for well over a year :lol:

My PC is probably 5+ years old now, and I've probably used the drive for games maybe once a year on average, and those heavily weighted towards the earlier days. This despite keeping all my game discs (though in order to escape spousal wrath I've long since chucked the cases and just keep a couple of CD folders-worth of discs hidden away).

I only really got it put into the computer when I bought it through habit and the paranoia that I might need it for installing hardware drivers for things and the like, but of course everything is online these days so was basically unnecessary.

It's funny how habits can change so quickly. It's even at the point now where I'll happily buy an older game from GOG or wherever that I know I've still got the disc for, partially because I know they'll have got it working on modern system but also the convenience of not having to faff about with discs and drives.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 am

When I played Baldurs Gate 2 a year or so back from DVD, every single morning when I turned the PC on the DVD would start up like a vacuum cleaner and I'd wonder what the hell that noise was. By the time I eventually got used to it I'd finished my playthrough.

"vrrooooooooOOOMMMMMMM-SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 am

Maturin wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 am
When I played Baldurs Gate 2 a year or so back from DVD, every single morning when I turned the PC on the DVD would start up like a vacuum cleaner and I'd wonder what the hell that noise was. By the time I eventually got used to it I'd finished my playthrough.

"vrrooooooooOOOMMMMMMM-SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
Is that what it is? I've been concerned the last couple of days my computer's about to keel over as it's make whooshing noises I'm not accustomed to... maybe it's the disc in the drive :lol:

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:25 am

Well, you better hope it's the disc. :lol:

If your case fans are starting to go nuclear then you've got bigger problems!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:26 am

Will keep an eye on it, it's mainly on system startup and during and for a brief period after the game's been on, so hopefully that's it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Staxel

Bounced off this first time round due to the aesthetic but have been wanting to play a game like this for a week or so just to chill out, so thought I'd give it another go. Ended up spending most of Sunday playing this instead of Sekiro!

It's a cross between Stardew and Minecraft, you have all the farming, fishing and community interaction of Stardew but you also have the destructibility, building and crafting of Minecraft. It's a lot of fun and has a few interesting tweaks. You can flood the market if you sell too much of the same product so you are incentivised to diversify and are also rewarded a lot more for turning raw products into meals, a beetroot will sell for a lot more as beetroot soup. Additionally there is no stamina so you are free to do as much as you want during the day, you will eventually collapse and fall asleep if you go past a certain time of night but there are no consequences to this.

As the game progresses you get various quests to complete that revolve around constructing new buildings. So far I have built a fishing point and been tasked with building a house for a new resident, a bakery and a museum. These are long terms goals that you can work towards as you upgrade your farm and make more money. The more money you have the better looking you can make buildings as you buy supplies from the builders merchant.

The game is still in early access so there is still stuff to be added such as a mining area and magic, but what's there right now is already good fun to play.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Morrowind (again)

Same save. This is probably the longest I've played a game consecutively since I was about 13 and I'm still loving it.

My speed is now around 300 which makes the game feel fairly small, but its levelled so well. I get why they did the system they have from Oblivion onwards for accessibility but I delved into red mountain last night and had to Jonathan Edwards it out of there, despite having 100 Long Blade (admittedly I'd pulled about ten mobs striding about but still).

And after that I have Bloodmoon too!

It's a shame that we probably won't see games with that level of depth anymore. But on the other hand, I would realistically spend far more on a game that deep so everyone can be a winner.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Bought Altered Beast today from Steam -- first time I've ever played it. I had no idea it had two-player support; that was a nice surprise as it meant both my sons could play together. It's not quite as good as Golden Axe, but it's still a lot of fun.
The hissing of rats