Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Snowy
Local

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Snowy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:58 am

Ape Out is rather fun.

An indie title where you play a gorilla escaping captivity, escaping across a number of procedurally generated levels while equally procedural jazz plays.

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:58 am

Giant bombs quick look was pretty entertaining thanks to Dans child like glee at the murder.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:01 am

I was really enjoying the DOS version of Super Star Wars -- despite the lack of saves -- until I got to the Jawa Sandcrawler interior (Stage 4) and realised that there's a reason the game is described as "unfinished" -- the controls, which up until this point were fine, seem to stop working as Luke ends up stuck on elevators and other wonky happenings which sadly push it just beyond the realm of "playable".

A shame, as the graphics are SO much nicer than the SNES version.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Prey

I started this about 6 months ago but was distracted by something else and all but forgot it. Picked it up again and am powering through with wild abandon. Lovely little game that is basically a remake of System Shock 2, sort of. It's a real shame that it was a bit of a flop on release but it does deserve people's time.

It was one of the three single player rpg's that came out the same year that all bombed. Deus Ex and Dishonored 2 and this all sold poorly but are excellent games. I intend to finish all 3 at some point but they do require a slow methodical style that can be a bit draining.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm

I enjoyed the Deus Ex sequel/reboot thing, but found myself getting a bit bogged down in the second game after a while and never completed it. Went back about a year later intending to do so, but was utterly lost at the part of the game I'd stopped at. It was a proper Gandalf "I have no memory of this place" moment, and I promptly quit out again :lol:

I keep meaning to go back, and I'll probably have to start over, but haven't got round to it yet.

Dishonoured 2 I picked up ages after release in a deep sale, I enjoyed what I played but again I wandered off before the end and keep meaning to go back at some point.

I've looked at Prey on discount a couple of times but something's always held me back.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Prey is a fantastic game, played the hell out of it. Well worth getting.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:35 pm

With Deus Ex and Dishonored you move to a new area each time and explore it but with Prey you have to revisit the same areas over and over again (like System Shock) and that can get a little tedious after a bit. Great game though.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm
I enjoyed the Deus Ex sequel/reboot thing
Whoa whoa whoa, what's this? Is it a redo of the original, or just a new DX game adding to the series?
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 pm

The Jackal wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
I enjoyed the Deus Ex sequel/reboot thing
Whoa whoa whoa, what's this? Is it a redo of the original, or just a new DX game adding to the series?
You know, the Human Revolution game. Or was it Mankind Divided, I forget which one came out first.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Human Revolution was the third in the series, and Mankind Divided was fourth.

There is also Deus Ex Revision, which is a fan-made overhaul of the original game to update the graphics, sound, and expand out some of the locations a bit. I've yet to find the time to go back to it, but from what I've seen it looks pretty great.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Yes, I'm aware Deus Ex and Invisible War were the first two games, I played both extensively -_-

I meant prequel rather than reboot. Or, more accurately, reboot in the sense of reviving a series that had been dormant for many years.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:31 am

Oh. Got my hopes up for a bit there...

(not that I've played either of the "new" ones to look down on them)
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:48 am

Subnautica

Was watching a stream of Satifactory and got the urge to play one of these types of games. I thought about buying Astroneer but figured as I had Subnautica already I would give it a shot. I've been reticent due to the talk of it being a bit scary and I don't really like scary games but so far it's not been that bad. Had to the odd jump when a Stalker has come up behind me but other than that it's been fine. I haven't been down into the depths yet though and I hear that's where it starts to get a bit scary.

Other than that I've enjoyed the crafting treadmill. I currently have the resources for a Seamoth, a small submarine, but don't have the plans for a vehicle bay so I can't build it yet. I've started work on a base and now that I have discovered the plans for a bioreactor I think that will be the next thing I focus on.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:54 am

Subnautica was my GOTY, adore it.

In terms of scares, the deep, dark places are more about a sense of dread and feeling vulnerable, there are no jump scares to speak of. Apart from that one time one of the Reaper behemoths near the wreck grabbed my Seamoth and started beating it against the seabed (prompting screams from me and my eldest who watched me play it, she loved it too). :lol:

But that is definitely atypical of the experience. Far more often you'll enter a huge cave system and see big scary things swimming around ahead, but you can just put your sub into silent running mode and stealth past them for the most part. I definitely wouldn't class it as a scary game per se. For context I am a huge chicken when it comes to horror games, have tried various down the years and more often than not I nope out of them pretty quickly.

As for a bioreactor, I never bothered. I found having solar panels on the roof of my base more than ample for my energy needs, with the bonus that it never needs to be replenished like the reactor. If you're building a deep-down base where you'd have to have a long network of cables linked to your solar panels I could see the sense of a reactor, but I just had a single main base in the shallows and just sailed out from there for expeditions to other zones. The map isn't overly vast.

Kind of want to play it again now ¬_¬

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
I enjoyed the Deus Ex sequel/reboot thing, but found myself getting a bit bogged down in the second game after a while and never completed it. Went back about a year later intending to do so, but was utterly lost at the part of the game I'd stopped at. It was a proper Gandalf "I have no memory of this place" moment, and I promptly quit out again :lol:
That's more or less my experience of Mankind Divided too. I really like Human Revolution (the first one with Jensen Button, or whatever he's called) and finished it a couple of times, but for reasons I struggle to identify I've failed to get more than a few hours into the second game. I have the same problem with the Dishonoured series, which seems like it should be great but fails to hold my attention. I think the problem is me, not the games.

It's odd because the old Looking Glass games (original Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock 2, etc) are in a very similar vein and are some of my favourite games of all time.