Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Raid
Local

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:17 pm

I had to go and watch footage of Doom 64; I knew it was its own game, but I'd never actually seen it before now. It looks like a strange mix of Doom and Quake II, with its reduced colour pallette and compensatory use of coloured lighting. It doesn't look bad, but it does look like a mid-tier total conversion project rather than an actual Doom game. It does have a fantastically meaty sounding chaingun mind.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:02 am

You’re not wrong on any of that and it definitely doesn’t have anywhere near the fairly timeless look of Doom but it is fun. Never quite understood the hate it got.

The chainsaw has TWO blades!!!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:56 pm

The laser gun from Doom64 is nice and I do like the Imps looks in it. You can use Doom64 in BrutalDoom and the like as well.

Finally beaten Dead Cells, well worth the price for a game that will last you a long time or well it did for me >.>
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Apparently the Royal Mail even has post boxes on Deimos...

Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 am

Resident Evil 7

I'm loving it so far, the atmosphere of menace is amazingly well done. It's also so wonderfully gross, there's a layer of filth on everything that makes me wince when the character has to touch it. Great :P

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:53 am

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 am
It's also so wonderfully gross, there's a layer of filth on everything that makes me wince when the character has to touch it. Great :P
Sounds like my house.

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:17 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:53 am
Animalmother wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 am
It's also so wonderfully gross, there's a layer of filth on everything that makes me wince when the character has to touch it. Great :P
Sounds like my house.
Get out the duster lad! :D
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks Snowy, was good to have a little pootle in GW2 this evening, even if it reminded me how rusty I am!

Sorry it ended a bit abruptly (a little window into the chaos that is my daily life :lol:), but we should definitely schedule in a proper evening at some point when the kids are in bed here and less likely to suddenly descend on the room like a pack of hyenas.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:24 am

Now this isn't exactly unexpected or uncharacteristic behaviour for me, but my brief love affair with DOOM appears to be over.

Now I'm playing Volgarr the Viking again. STILL trying to get past level four.
The hissing of rats

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Thanks Snowy, was good to have a little pootle in GW2 this evening, even if it reminded me how rusty I am!
Anyone want a free DLC key? I bought one by mistake.
It's for Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns (apparently the base game is free now)
-- To be completed at some point --

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:09 am

Darksiders 3

Started this the other day, went with the more traditional combat rather than the deliberate system that was in place when the game was released. So far I've been enjoying it, it feels like a bit of a throw back to games past and in a good way.

Like a lot of games recently they have taken a lot of cues from Dark Souls. You gain currency from enemies when you kill them and then spend that to level up either health, attack damage or special attack damage and if you die you lose all the currency you are currently holding. It does make things a bit easier though by letting you bank the currency. You can pick up items that give you additional currency just like in Dark Souls and the healing system is similar. You have health pickups that you can also buy but also an estus flask equivalent that can be filled up by health drops from enemies. Additionally the level design is similar with areas doubling back on themselves and linking up with other areas and the ability to open up shortcuts. Like previous games you acquire skills that allow you to gain access to different areas. It's all quite open though and apparently you have a choice of bosses to take on from the start.

The combat is slightly mashy but still requires enough thought to stop it becoming inconsequential and the puzzle elements whilst not being exactly hard are diverting enough. The story isn't bad although I'm not sure about Fury's attitude, feels a bit out of place. Yes she is furious but also a bit power mad which feels strange.

So yeah it's been a lot of fun so far and I'm actually quite looking forward to playing some more tonight.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:35 am

Super Star Wars

Running this 1992 classic on a SNES emulator. Really fun. I was annoyed to learn that Lucasarts planned a PC version in 1994 which was almost finished, but they cancelled it at the last minute. :x
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:13 pm

Turns out there is a PC version, but it was unreleased. Found it on an abandonware site.

Just gave it a spin in DOSBOX and it actually works! It is so much better than the SNES version! However, there doesn't appear to be any way to save progress at all, which is frustrating...
The hissing of rats

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Doesn't dosbox have a 'save' function where you can save the current state? I might be thinking of MAME though.
-- To be completed at some point --

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:33 am

It does not, sadly.
The hissing of rats