Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Currently playing: Horizon Zero Dawn

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm

SEE, PEOPLE ARE ALREADY TALKING

This is already one of the most active threads on the forum.

-_-

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 pm

So am I moving this or not? -_-

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm

I'll see if I can merge the threads.

Edit: Done

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: What Are You Playing?

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 am
I scratched my MMO itch by getting back into Guild Wars 2 the other day. They've reworked a lot of the mechanics so it's a bit more interesting now and the expansion pack content looks quite fun, I've just not really had the time to properly sink any hours into it yet.

I tried the trial for FF14 last year and couldn't quite put my finger on what I didn't like about it. No doubt it's an incredibly well put together game though and you've got to admire that they basically redesigned the entire thing when it flopped on initial release.
Well now that's settled *ahem* I'll talk about GW2!

Yeah, I have both the Heart of Thorns and whatever the desert on is called expansions. I'd given up playing for about a year before each one, but they were pretty good in luring me back to at least play through the new content, muck about with the new and amended classes. They're actually really well done, and particularly for the second expansion getting the mounts and then going through all the rigamarole you need to do to unlock the griffin mount - which is by far and away the best and actually ludicrous fun to use. I got quite a lot of play out of them, before promptly giving it up again once I'd seen all the new stuff.

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:54 am

I didn't really get on with it when it first launched so I never even finished the campaign for the main game, let alone get anyone near level 80 (which was a shock because I dumped 2000 hours into the original game). I found that the sheer number of players taking part in every event combined with the generic gameplay that took too many queues from other MMOs turned every map into a massive dull lagfest. Now that the population has dwindled a little and they've reworked the skills system to be less tedious I'm getting on with it a lot more. Looking forward to finally hitting 80 and exploring the new content (I bought Heart of Thorns).

Still can't be bothered with World vs World though.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 am

Mantis wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:54 am
I didn't really get on with it when it first launched so I never even finished the campaign for the main game, let alone get anyone near level 80 (which was a shock because I dumped 2000 hours into the original game). I found that the sheer number of players taking part in every event combined with the generic gameplay that took too many queues from other MMOs turned every map into a massive dull lagfest. Now that the population has dwindled a little and they've reworked the skills system to be less tedious I'm getting on with it a lot more. Looking forward to finally hitting 80 and exploring the new content (I bought Heart of Thorns).

Still can't be bothered with World vs World though.
I'd never played a huge amount of WvW but the last couple of times I had a quick go it just seemed to have devolved into differently coloured zergs rushing around the maps, which was of limited interest really.

Well worth picking up PoF as well if only for the mounts, tbh. The griffin especially is now the best part of the game for me.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:34 am

I'm replaying (in many ways for first time) Divinity Original Sin 2.

I really struggled when I first played it and didn't make it past Act 2. Mainly because I didn't seek any tips or tricks just went in blind. This time I've taken the time to research things about the game especially help with effective party compositions etc.

Enjoying it a lot more now.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 am

One of my favourite RPGs I would say, great story, so much flexibility in the way you play and a fantastic combat system.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

I lost interest when I kept getting lowered level wise so I could never feel powerful. Everything everywhere took the same number of hits to kill.

I want to be a god in the starter areas.

Pretty much like Diablo 3 does it. If I want to steamroll over everything for a change of pace i can lower the difficulty. If I want a challenge, i ramp it back up.
-- To be completed at some point --

Bev

Post by Bev » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:48 pm

I've been playing a lot of Hearts of Iron IV, and have started working on a mod to replace the world map with a map of the British Isles, and bring the world of A Very British Civil War to the game.

There's a team of about a dozen of us working on it, but only really me doing any actual code. Everyone else is writing lore for the various factions, and recolouring portraits.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm

That's pretty cool. Is this civil war thing some sort of established story/setting already?

Edit: Some sort of tabletop game?

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Wow! Sweet.

Good work Bev.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:16 pm

That is very neat, indeed. What language are you coding it in, Bev? Does it have modding tools that make life easier?

Bev

Post by Bev » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:04 pm

It's based on a tabletop wargame, yeah. There's not a lot of information online, sadly, so we've had to extrapolate a lot from the Sourcebooks.

Coding wise, Hearts of Iron is a very moddable game, as everything is just in text files. It barely qualifies as coding, really.

The map itself was a bastard and took me about a month.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:08 pm

I've been enjoying the progress updates!

Still a tabletop man, Bev?