Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:00 pm

Call of Pripyat is excellent, I didn't play Clear Skies after middling reviews.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Cool, I'll have a gander

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:25 am

Call of Pripyat is one of my top 10 favourite PC games of all time. Definitely something to immerse yourself in.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm

I had a very quick go of, more just to see how it ran. I'll need to dial back some of the settings, it chugs a bit in places. Can't give an impression yet but will once I've put a few hours in.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Just tried Not For Broadcast in early access, where you play a news producer choosing cameras, bleeping swearwords, cutting to ads, etc. It's a cool concept that works reasonably well. The TV content is cheap satire - sometimes funny but mostly painful. The game itself I think is good, so if they can nail the broadcast content so it's consistently funny then the final product could be something special.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:54 pm

Yeah, it definitely piqued my interest when I saw it pop onto Steam the other day. With something like this, though, I think I'll wait for the full release rather than in bits and pieces during EA.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:19 pm

Coincidentally i've also given Call of Pripyat a quick replay...on my Surface Pro 2 tablet.
Although it has to be dialed back to 720p with static lighting for 60fps (30fps with lighting effects on), it is still very decent looking.

But the athmosphere this game packs. It's unrivaled, regardless of graphics setting!

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Think I'm coming towards the end of Templar Battleforce after about 20 hours. Lovely little game, with lots of nice detail.

The only slight criticism might be the level design never really got as big and involving as I would have liked - most of the maps were just to do an objective or two then depart in a fairly small area. Unless things get much bigger in the very final section of the game, in which case ignore all this.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 pm

Finally completed Mafia 3 last night, man what a game! Gripping writing right till the end, great characters, well written, and fleshed out. The mission variety never got monotonous, even the drives down to the swamps for liquor and robbed goods repeating missions. Great game indeed.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:38 pm

eny wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 pm
Finally completed Mafia 3 last night, man what a game! Gripping writing right till the end, great characters, well written, and fleshed out. The mission variety never got monotonous, even the drives down to the swamps for liquor and robbed goods repeating missions. Great game indeed.
Yeah, I enjoyed it and have played it through a couple of times now. The story missions in particular remain strong throughout. And I loved the character of your CIA helper and his post-credits scene was awesome.

It got undeservedly hammered by the critics on release imo.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:32 pm

It's a great game alright, it's one thing they've always managed with Mafia games is making the cities feel like living places. I dip in now and then and play a few missions then play something else then back in again.

I believe there was plans for a Mafia 4 set in 70's Las Vegas.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Loads of little details make the world fresh too, I love the way new music was slowly released on the radio stations as time through the game progressed....and how recent events were then reported on the news...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:36 pm

I thought it was incredibly boring and not a touch on the first game. I dreaded every mission that asked me to drive out into the swamp, it made me realise that I no longer wanted open world games that played like this game did. Don't make me drive half way across the map multiple times just because you can.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:49 pm

I'm still forcing myself (hurhurhur) through Jedi: Fallen Order, which I am, for the most part, really enjoying. I've gotten to the first real lightsaber duel with one of the Inquisitors, and man is this combat system fun when it really gets going. The gameplay definitely has its faults, particularly when it comes to fighting the various fauna which don't telegraph their attacks in the same way that humanoid enemies do (thus making them frustrating to fight) meaning that getting surrounded by half a dozen giant spiders and slug goats and exploding fireflies just leads to me swearing a lot for it not being more obvious that you need to dodge. Some sort of force sense ability that is canonically key to the Jedi fighting style that would warn you of offscreen threats would really be helpful.

...but give me a single lightsaber-wielding opponent and a nice open arena, and this game really does fulfil the Jedi fantasy in a way that no other game has done since Jedi Outcast, although in this it's far more fluid. Flips and rolls and fancy lightsaber swings all seem to blend together, which for me is really key to making it look like the fights in the films.

I couldn't really understand why people were berating this prior to release for basically being a Star Wars Dark Souls - it's a near perfect fit. If they make a sequel, they just need to smooth over some of the jankier fights. It's a mixed bag in other areas too - it's occasionally beautiful, but there are areas that look really shoddy, and there is the occasional animation bug (and one really irritating issue where a particular enemy would make a grab attack that I clearly dodged, but my character would warp into his hand).

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:38 am

I think it has some significant flaws most of which don't revolve around the combat, although that does get worse as the game goes on. The writing is poor with uninteresting characters and huge plot holes, some of the level design is baffling and some of the worlds you visit are just lacking. I think if you took the Star Wars skin off the game it would be wholly unremarkable, it's the Star Wars stuff that mostly carried me through.