Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:20 am

You can pick up the game on GOG for less than a fiver if you want to have another go. ¬_¬

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 am
the biplane.
I think you are (ideally) supposed to pick up a biplane user manual from the library in Venice, but I don't know this actually changes the game. I myself forgot to do this on my current play-through, but I have a slight recollection that there's an alternate route (via land?) where you can bypass the plane section? However, my memory is so hazy that I can't be sure. I think I only played the game once in the 90s, as I could never get over back then how graphically inferior it was to Fate of Atlantis. I was spoiled by playing that one first.
Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 am
My overriding memory of it is that you can punch Hitler.
I will try to do that on this play through. However, I'm currently struggling to get through Castle Brunwald -- the guards refuse to believe I'm a genuine servant.

Incidentally, this year marks the 30th anniversary of that game.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:18 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:20 am
You can pick up the game on GOG for less than a fiver if you want to have another go. ¬_¬
I've got it, but when I tried playing it again I didn't get further than Venice. I should really give it another stab (or whip).

I think taking the biplane from the runway bypasses the zeppelin section (in which case you end up in a biplane anyway). It really was a cracking game at the time - I was ridiculously excited as a child the first time I got as far as the grail room.
Stormbringer wrote:I'm currently struggling to get through Castle Brunwald -- the guards refuse to believe I'm a genuine servant.
You mean you're not a fine leather jacket salesman?!

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:06 pm

That didn't seem to work either!

By the way, I forgot to mention I am also playing GOG's December 2018 re-release of Flashback. I was a huge fan of that game in the 90s so it's great to have it available again.
The hissing of rats

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:06 pm
That didn't seem to work either!

By the way, I forgot to mention I am also playing GOG's December 2018 re-release of Flashback. I was a huge fan of that game in the 90s so it's great to have it available again.
Oh man that was a game I just could not put down, it actually caused some ill-feeling between me and my then-squeeze :lol:

I loved the original Prince of Persia, and Flashback always felt like the spiritual successor, mainly due to the movement in the game but also some of the feel.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:33 pm

I punched Hitler!

The hissing of rats

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:52 am

Looks more like a slap :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:33 pm

If anybody deserves a slap then surely Hitler's the very man.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Snowy wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:29 pm
Stormbringer wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:06 pm
Oh man that was a game I just could not put down, it actually caused some ill-feeling between me and my then-squeeze :lol:

I loved the original Prince of Persia, and Flashback always felt like the spiritual successor, mainly due to the movement in the game but also some of the feel.
I can't believe this is happening, as Flashback is from 1992 and is a freaking 2D platformer with a resolution of 320 x 240 pixels, and yet, the GOG version is having performance issues on my computer, and that's with all the modern bells and whistles turned off! Weird. It bugs me so much I straight up uninstalled it.

On the subject of Prince of Persia, I am also playing the Super Nintendo version of that game at the moment, using emulation software. Fun, but much harder than the DOS version!
The hissing of rats

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Speaking of Doom, I recommend the PSX emulator version for the awesome soundtrack:

Lee

Post by Lee » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Alan wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:52 am
Looks more like a slap :-k
Or yanking his nose.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Maturin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:34 pm
Speaking of Doom, I recommend the PSX emulator version for the awesome soundtrack
I mean sure, you *could* listen to the popular but let's face it, ill-fitting PSX soundtrack, or you could just listen to the awesome original. The atmospheric Playstation soundtrack doesn't have sick guitar riffs.

I never played the Playstation version, but it feels like playing Mario 3 with a soundtrack by Hans Zimmer - awesome, but wrong in so many ways.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Ah, the purist view of the PSX soundtrack - I guess I could force myself to listen to the tinny soundtrack that is beyond irritating after about 20 seconds, but I find I prefer the brilliant soundscape that transforms the game into something truly creepy & desolate!
Last edited by Maturin on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:59 pm

Yeah, but I don't think "creepy and desolate" really describes the original Doom - a game that has you eviscerating the forces of hell with a chainsaw and exploding them with a rocket launcher. It would fit a game like Alien Isolation pretty well, but not Doom.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 pm

Nah, I think it fits perfectly. You're all alone in an unknown, alien environment. The creepiness is great!

It's actually surprising how much time is spent just exploring and retracing steps in the original Doom. The PSX version ratchets up the tension wonderfully.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:55 pm

You know, it’s always bad mouthed and forgotten but Doom 64 is actually good. It’s not anywhere near *as* good but it’s worth playing. There’s a bunch of home brew ports of it too so you don’t even have to use an emulator anymore.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.