Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Currently Playing

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:41 am

I'm still playing Cursed Castilla -- a Spanish retro 2D platformer set in dark medieval times. It's a bit challenging, but I've managed to make it to the sixth (possibly final?) chapter. Equal parts fun and frustrating, with (for the genre) superb graphics. The designer behind it is a genius.

That's literally all I'm playing these days in terms of video games.
Last edited by Stormbringer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Raid
Local

Re: What Are You Playing?

Post by Raid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am

At the moment, I'm playing a lot of Enter the Gungeon. I'm still not particularly good at it; I can fairly reliably get to the third boss, but it always feels like I'm unlucky with drops.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am
At the moment, I'm playing a lot of Enter the Gungeon. I'm still not particularly good at it; I can fairly reliably get to the third boss, but it always feels like I'm unlucky with drops.
Reliably getting to the third boss is pretty good. Think I've only made it that far once.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:51 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 am
Reliably getting to the third boss is pretty good. Think I've only made it that far once.
When you watch people on Youtube playing it, they can actually go the entire game being hit maybe two or three times in total, all the while dodging and spewing rockets and getting the precise amount of keys needed. The gulf in skill and luck is dramatic.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:56 am

So the MMO itch is being scratched by Final Fantasy 14.
World of Tanks for that "I want to be annoyed by RNG and pay to play on a free game" itch (I do enjoy it, I just hate that they essentially force you to pay for a premium account in order to be successful at high tiers).
And a bit of Wildlands which is kinda awesome, perfectly rinsing a camp with your mates is good fun.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 am

I scratched my MMO itch by getting back into Guild Wars 2 the other day. They've reworked a lot of the mechanics so it's a bit more interesting now and the expansion pack content looks quite fun, I've just not really had the time to properly sink any hours into it yet.

I tried the trial for FF14 last year and couldn't quite put my finger on what I didn't like about it. No doubt it's an incredibly well put together game though and you've got to admire that they basically redesigned the entire thing when it flopped on initial release.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 am

We thought for the new forum that rather than have a catch-all thread for games we're playing, that we'd start a new thread instead for each game - will hopefully spark some discussions while also helping to populate the new boards. I think it would be worthwhile.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am

Oh. Sorry. ¬_¬
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am

Oh yeah, I forgot we'd talked about that. -_-

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am
Oh. Sorry. ¬_¬
Yeah, how dare you do that thing you had no idea we said we might not do :lol:

Don't worry man :)

Pew-Pew

Currently playing: Horizon Zero Dawn

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:41 am

So apparently there are going to be separate threads for games we're playing rather than a single thread. Not sure that it's a great idea, but here we go -_-

Horizon: Zero Dawn

I recently bought a PS4 Pro in order to catch up with some exclusives that I couldn't get on PC or Switch. One of the first games I decided to buy was H:ZD, as I've heard lots of good things about it. I ended up playing the first hour or so of this this morning as I had a chance to go into the lab a bit later than usual. The start is a fairly standard tutorial type section (childhood of the main character), but it seems OK so far. The world looks pretty interesting - I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic stuff though, so any hints of the world 'that was' hooks me very easily. I'm hoping that it doesn't turn into a fairly standard Ubisoft-style open world kind of thing. I'm also liking having a good female lead to play for once.

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Currently playing: Horizon Zero Dawn

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:55 am

Yeah, this might cause a bit of overlap with newer games that have threads in other folders actually. If a thread already exists people would likely be posting in those about how they're playing it. A basic 'Ive been playing' thread will catch everything else.

We didn't discuss this at great length to be fair and I didn't put any further thought into it until now. Perhaps just copy and paste this post into the other thread. -_-

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:57 am

Well maybe if it's regarding a fairly newly released game then.

It just felt towards the latter days of the old place that the Currently being played thread was the only one with real activity.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:59 am

I think that was mainly down to the fact that people weren't really playing new games though. Generally when something came out that we all got on the discussion would be in the dedicated thread.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:02 pm

I think if more members joined and more were posting about games all day, the problem would quickly sort itself out I think.

Sub-20 active members will always keep things a little bare.