Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
elgaucho

Re: Currently Playing

Post by elgaucho » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:39 pm
Basically, my perfect space game is Freelancer. Why can't there be more games like that, or a remaster?
I heard that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is about the closest thing to Freelancer that's out there. I also want a spiritual successor to it - maybe I need to give it a go sometime...
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:43 pm

elgaucho wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:41 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:39 pm
Basically, my perfect space game is Freelancer. Why can't there be more games like that, or a remaster?
I heard that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is about the closest thing to Freelancer that's out there. I also want a spiritual successor to it - maybe I need to give it a go sometime...
Yeah, on my radar, although I won't be getting it at the earliest until it comes to Steam next August.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:56 pm

The original Rebel Galaxy would still be a good starting point for something similar though, and you can usually pick it up for a few quid. It's got free-form space trading and actually reminded me a lot of Freelancer while playing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Maturin wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:56 pm
The original Rebel Galaxy would still be a good starting point for something similar though, and you can usually pick it up for a few quid. It's got free-form space trading and actually reminded me a lot of Freelancer while playing.
Bought it a while back, played about an hour, didn't really click with it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:52 pm

Nevr really gelled with the original RG. Th eoutlaw version is way more fun but got a bit boring but not until many, many hours had past.
-- To be completed at some point --

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:04 am

Graveyard Keeper

I didn't really gel with this when it first came out and I played it on Xbox Game Pass, however I saw it in the Humble sale for £6 and as it has had some updates since launch I thought I would give it a try. 7 hours later and I am having a blast, once you stop trying to compare it to Stardew Valley you notice that it follows it's own path with a lot more structure to the game.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:13 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:04 am
Graveyard Keeper

I didn't really gel with this when it first came out and I played it on Xbox Game Pass, however I saw it in the Humble sale for £6 and as it has had some updates since launch I thought I would give it a try. 7 hours later and I am having a blast, once you stop trying to compare it to Stardew Valley you notice that it follows it's own path with a lot more structure to the game.
Ahh, I remember the time before the scales fell from my eyes and I saw the mountain of grind for what it is. Cherish these times, Dj. Cherish them.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:18 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:13 am
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Graveyard Keeper

Ahh, I remember the time before the scales fell from my eyes and I saw the mountain of grind for what it is. Cherish these times, Dj. Cherish them.
LOL.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Graveyard Keeper

What did you find grindy in the end?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:04 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:47 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Graveyard Keeper

What did you find grindy in the end?
I hit a wall about 20 hours in iirc. You end up just grinding materials to build something that lets you grind other materials to build something else to grind materials to build the thing you actually want to build. I talked about it at some length in the game thread I think.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:13 pm

That's kind of how these games go, Stardew is mostly the same, I don't mind as long as it is leading to something else.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:22 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:13 pm
That's kind of how these games go, Stardew is mostly the same, I don't mind as long as it is leading to something else.
I mean, I played Stardew Valley for over a hundred hours, imho Graveyard Keeper pushes the grinding into new territory once you reach a certain point.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:40 pm

I should add that I don't want to put you off enjoying it (Lee played it a lot longer than I did), and it's more than possible they've streamlined some stuff and made tweaks in the many moons since I played it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:22 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:13 pm
I mean, I played Stardew Valley for over a hundred hours, imho Graveyard Keeper pushes the grinding into new territory once you reach a certain point.
The put out a patch in May this year that

Reduced the operating times on most crafts
Reduced the amount of energy required for most crafts
Increased the amount of blue points dropping from most crafts
Increased the amount of energy food restores
Significantly reduced time of installation, removing and repairing of tombstones and grave fences.

Seems like this change maybe helped with the grind and why I am perhaps not experiencing it to the same degree as you did?

EDIT: Oh they apparently added all the zombie automation stuff post release as well as part of free DLC.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Control
Finished! That game is fantastic. It’s oozing with all the stuff that make Remedy such a lovable developer. Loads of fantastic moments, genuinely funny and cracking visuals. Well it is kind of ugly and bland in its look and scale feels off at times but the things it does with the levels are just wow. It’s also quite tough, especially before you get used to powers and it also didn’t help that I put all my initial points into maxing melee and melee is nearly useless for damage! Definite contender for goty.

Also bonus marks for a pistol that’salways viable.

it’s actually made me queue up the download of their last game that I forget the name of right now.... the TV one....
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.