Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:46 pm

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

I had been looking at purchasing this since the day it was announced and as much as I adore the original, the re-release asking price on Steam was always a little too steep for my liking *£34.99* kind of steep. That was until today when I spotted it going for just £4 on key sites and could not believe my luck.

Only played half an hour, I could already feel the game luring me in and considering I got a hefty 100+ hours out of the original I had to pull myself away. The new aspects such as better camera options and upgraded graphics are very nice additions indeed. It remains one of my all-time favourite game experiences so I could not be happier to snap it up once again in the form of a rework at such a ridiculously low price.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:00 pm

I finally got round to checking out the next-gen updates for Witcher 3, hoping that the mess they released in December had been fixed by now. But no. Christ, what a disaster - they've made one of my favourite ever games borderline unplayable. Graphically it's fine, looks nice, and performance mode on Xbox Series X does appear to be at 60fps. The problem is the input lag, which is around half a second. I tried running across a bridge and couldn't do it without falling off because the camera and movement were so unresponsive. And in a game where the combat is fast and requires careful timing and reactions, it's totally impossible. From my existing save at level 41 I got eviscerated by a bloody panther. :?

They better damn well fix this, and soon. CDPR have a lot to answer for.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:12 pm

Damn. I've been playing on PC and it hasn't been like that for me :/

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:30 pm

I do have the PC version, but I'd heard that performance was terrible after the next-gen update, even on cards like a 3080. Might give it a look.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:35 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:30 pm
I do have the PC version, but I'd heard that performance was terrible after the next-gen update, even on cards like a 3080. Might give it a look.
I'm using a 3060ti and looks good on ultra setting (had to disable ray tracing to get it to run, though, boo). There have been a couple of hefty updates since the next-gen patch came out

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:38 pm

That sounds encourgaing, cheers. I've got a 2070 (laptop verison) and I'm not bothered for ray tracing, so hopefully it'll cope with it. From what I gather, I should also finally be able to transfer saves from Xbox to PC.

I'm aiming to save enough for a new future-proofed gaming PC in the next six months or so, so I'll probably hold off on a full replay of Witcher until then, with all the bells and whistles. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:42 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:38 pm
That sounds encourgaing, cheers. I've got a 2070 (laptop verison) and I'm not bothered for ray tracing, so hopefully it'll cope with it. From what I gather, I should also finally be able to transfer saves from Xbox to PC.

I'm aiming to save enough for a new future-proofed gaming PC in the next six months or so, so I'll probably hold off on a full replay of Witcher until then, with all the bells and whistles. :)
Noice! I upgraded about 18 months ago, but I've only been able to replace my antique 1060 about a fortnight ago :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:07 am

So this is odd - I tried Witcher 3 on the Series S I have in the bedroom and it ran absolutely fine, and having gone back to the X this morning it’s also fine, with nothing having changed in the setup. Even the game didn’t restart. There’s still a small amount of input lag, but that was always the case for the game on Xbox. At least it’s playable now, but still, how weird!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:06 am

Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster
I think I've probably gushed about this enough on the forum, and, frankly, to anybody who'd listen on the GA Discord, but I've finished it today and figured I'd post some final thoughts. It remains one of my very favourite games, and the remaster is proof that there's still at least one exec with some common sense left at Square Enix. It's perfect; it retains all of the charm that the tiny character sprites had, the soundtrack is re-recorded but entirely faithful to the SNES original, and while there's plenty of extra detail in the backgrounds and enemy sprites, it all looks hand-crafted by the original artists.

The reason I love this game so much is because it lets you truly make the characters your own. They have the same script, but the Job system means that you can build them exactly the way you want to. There are a total of 74 abilities in the game they can learn, and you can equip them in pretty much any combination on any character. It's very grindy, sure, but the remaster makes this as easy as possible by letting you auto-battle where each character will just repeat their last action (healing magic will always target the party member with the lowest percentage of health too) and run at 2x speed. The challenge becomes finding a spot where you can easily defeat any enemy you'll encounter without taking much damage and without spending too many resources. It's decided not for everyone, but it attaches you to each character in a way that no other RPG has ever managed for me.

I suspect I'm the only one here that ever finished this, but my final party was thus:
-Bartz: Freelancer dual-wielding the two most powerful, enchantable swords in the game, with Rapid-Fire and Spellblade. I think he was doing 48,000 damage a round with the Flare enchantment on.
-Lenna: Mimic with Dualcast, White lv6 and Black lv6.
-Krile: Mimic with Summon, Time lv6 and Black lv6.
-Faris: Freelancer with Rapid-Fire and Throw, because I couldn't resist the urge to kill Exdeath by lobbing poor Gilgamesh's Excalipoor at his face.
I think I did all of the optional super bosses; Shinryu wasn't particularly challenging as I still had my Coral Rings from the Leviathan fight, but it took me a good few goes to take down Omega.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:52 am

GreedFall

If you have played much of Piranha Bytes own gaming catalogue as I have, there's a good chance you have also played one of Spider's releases. Once again thanks to Humble Bundle a game I have long since had my eye on became available - with a very reasonable 19Gb download I am about to embark into the cursed island lands in what IGN said was a 60 hour adventure and awarded a score of 8.2. No idea if anyone here has played it, would fully appreciate any tips for a new beginner if there are any to be had.

As someone who was a massive fan of games such as Dragons Dogma this looks like it will offer me a nice middle ground between that and say something from a more decent Bioware experience, without having me resort to buying Elden Ring and 1000% regretting my purchase afterward. I nearly did, twice.

HellBound

We all need to let off some steam at some point, so how about a new shooter for the price of just £1? Serious Sam meets sort of modern DooM no less...

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:00 pm

Hellbound looks a lot more fun than Doom Eternal was.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:42 pm

I'm inclined to agree.

So then, not even 50 minutes into playing Greedfall I am still coming to grips with the games variety of combat systems controls inventory etc when I get told I am leaving for a far away land, I get all excited to climb aboard the boat and set sail- and then this happens...
Spoiler
I wish I had done due homework now before starting the game. #-o

I don't mind at all being tested early on but this is some ludicrous shit devs, it can kill me in two fucking hits and you can see how little I managed to damage it before it did. Normal difficulty too.
Last edited by Lenny Solidus on Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:48 pm

GreedSouls.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:25 pm

Days Gone

Picked this up for a tenner and I've had my eye on it for a while due to seeing how much better it looked modded.

Well, mod it I have, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've removed the HUD (which I can toggle with tab), added the explosive gore mod, better stamina, weapon rebalances, slightly upgraded knife, stopped snipers from instantly snapping to you and hitting you, changed the main character's outfit to something more my taste, repositioned holstered weapons. Some of them are small things, but I've crafted a very immersive experience which I'm super happy with.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:28 pm

ManBearSquid wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:25 pm
Days Gone

Picked this up for a tenner and I've had my eye on it for a while due to seeing how much better it looked modded.

Well, mod it I have, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've removed the HUD (which I can toggle with tab), added the explosive gore mod, better stamina, weapon rebalances, slightly upgraded knife, stopped snipers from instantly snapping to you and hitting you, changed the main character's outfit to something more my taste, repositioned holstered weapons. Some of them are small things, but I've crafted a very immersive experience which I'm super happy with.
I played it vanilla sometime last year and had a blast with it. The main character is a bit on the whiny side, but that's about it for cons.