Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
ManBearSquid

Re: Currently Playing

Post by ManBearSquid » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:05 am

I genuinely can't remember where I got to in Chaos Theory all those years ago, or why I even stopped playing it. I'm really looking forward to getting to it though.

My biggest issue with any Splinter Cell after Double Agent (which I enjoyed back in the day) is that the movement feels so weightless, like a floaty ninja. Conviction was an enjoyable enough action game, but it just wasn't really very Splinter Cell; similar story with Hitman: Absolution compared to that series' other games. Must've been a thing of the times. Whilst I did play some of Blacklist, and it was a vast improvement over Conviction in terms of being an actual Splinter Cell style game, it brought with it things from Conviction that I disliked as well as some that I did like. That, and the VA change is just far too jarring. I think that game would have benefitted from just going with a different agent altogether.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:20 am

No better time than a CT multiplayer revival!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:12 pm

CT multiplayer was the pinnacle for the series too. Everything they did after that progressively made the spies more dangerous and turned rounds into more of a death match. Double Agent's multiplayer was still pretty fun but the levels were far more brightly lit and the spies were like little acrobatic ninjas.

That abandoned mansion level on CT still gives me the creeps even now.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:55 pm

I found it weird that the original CT team went on to make the XBox Original version of Double Agent, and another team handled the next gen versions. Makes it awkward to play the "proper" sequel to CT.

Fired up Cyberpunk 2077 and made my attempt to complete the secret ending.
Spoiler
Assault Arasaka solo. Not easy when you're level 46, with no cybermods (apart from eyes & smart lock), and just arming yourself with a one shot sniper rifle and a revolver. The game ups the AI health and hit damage (mechs one shotted me and guards can take me down in two-three hits), but after 60 hours of game i've finally got the gun fight I was looking for. Took a while to complete, but hot damn that was one intense adrenaline pumping heart stopping shootout.
Now i'm done with this game. I'll check it out again in a few years time when CDPR release the final patch.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Syphon Filter is another one of those PS2 era 3rd person shooters that I'm surprised never got a modern reboot.

Reinstalled Fallout 4 last night to try out a mod that pretty much skips the whole opening of the game and you wake up on a random part of the map with only a few items. It spawned me right in front of Cogsworth in Sanctuary.... ](*,)

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:05 pm

SP had some decent PSP games. That’s kind of modernish.

Checks.

17 years ago.

:-k

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:33 pm

So let’s see… been working on the old pile of shame.

Finished Telltale Batman. Gameplay and engine are less than stellar but the writing was surprisingly good and quite moreish.

Finished Wolfenstein The Old Blood. Daft fun. Not as good as the main game but still decent.

Wolfenstein Youngblood. Cutscenes are still funny, gameplay is kind of trash. I think I’m bailing on this one sad to say since the mainline games gave me lots of big grins.

Prey
So a while back I lost both my Prey and my Dishonored saves and have been making to get back to them for ages. Currently as far as deep storage and this game is fantastic! It’s system shock with a more cohesive world. I love they have even took the time to have both sides of emails be viewable from each persons computer. I’m not a massive fan of the bad guys but everything else is just so good! Breaking the window of your apartment at the start is still incredible years later. It’s one of the best game moments I can think of.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:42 pm

Just cause 3. The cutscenes on this make the newer tomb raider games look like Oscar winning dramas.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:16 am

Finished Prey, that was fantastic. With all the talk of TES and Starfield its Arcane that is the best pickup MS made.

Currently trying to play the current steam version of ADOM but its just crashing constantly :( The hours I lost to ADOM back in the day. Pretty great that after all this time its still Thomas Biskup thats making it, if it would only be stable....

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Is ADOM short for something or is that the actual title?

I don't think I ever finished Prey, got so close to the end but something blocked me and I can't remember what. Might give it another go from the start.
-- To be completed at some point --

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Been playing Two Point Hospital over the last week or so. Appreciate it's fairly old now, but it's great what they've done with an old classic. Really enjoying it so far.

Think the difficulty curve is fairly mild too.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:39 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm
Is ADOM short for something or is that the actual title?
Ancient Domains Of Mystery but it’s more commonly called ADOM. It was an old ascii rogue like when that term actually meant rogue like. You had to learn about an entire keyboards worth of shortcuts but it was great with the sheer number of things you can do. This new version is pretty ugly but more intuitive.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:09 pm

Phantom Abyss
I picked this up recently when it came out in early access.

I can't decide for now HOW much replayability it has, but it's definitely got SOMETHING that keeps me going back for a run or two each day.

You're basically Indiana Jones, delving into trap laden obstacle courses... a little bit of Mirror's edge running and jumping.... a little bit of exploration and searching for loot, and a LOT of trying to stay alive longer than other people did in your instance!

It works pretty well. There's a lot of content I haven't reached yet, and a lot of the mistakes i make are entirely avoidable. Some are just.... erk.... some are pressure from the guardians who defend the tombs, some are from dynamic obstacle threats, or a combination thereof. A couple are just shitty shitty puzzles that screwed you over.

But it's well done. It grabs you and makes you want that one extra go. The environments are a little samey I'll give you that, and the deeper runs take a little time to get through.

I don't know if it's excellent, but I've definitely gotten value for money, and I definitely consider it a challenge to try and get further and further!

Worth a look :)

Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:09 pm

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Just appeared on Game Pass for the Xbox. Only played it for a little bit but it's pretty good and has held up surprisingly well for an original Xbox game. I really suck at flying games but this is fairly forgiving. It's a real shame this series never went any further, imagine what they could do with a modern remake.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:40 am

Oh man I loved Crimson Skies back in the day. With all the shit that is getting remade these days, that this isn't top of the list is criminal.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=