Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Currently Playing

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:07 am

Control is really good yeah, also if you have an RTX card it uses that really well. I think Quantum Break is unfairly maligned, it's not brilliant but it's a solid and enjoyable third person shooter.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:10 am

I'm curious about Quantum Break as well but it has an insane download size of 110Gb or something similar. No.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:59 pm

The Gardens Between
Neat concept. Tedious game.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Currently Playing...
...not a lot from this point on, for a while at least. Last night my trusty R9 270 GPU gave up the ghost after 6 years of loyal gaming service. So I've stuck in my old 6670 which still works. I was getting hard-crashes intermittently for 6 months or so, so I knew this was coming.

Guess I could have a look through my library of old games. Haven't played Skyrim in years, so I might try it out again with some mods. But I'm going to be limited to old stuff for a while.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Maturin wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:08 pm
Currently Playing...
...not a lot from this point on, for a while at least. Last night my trusty R9 270 GPU gave up the ghost after 6 years of loyal gaming service. So I've stuck in my old 6670 which still works. I was getting hard-crashes intermittently for 6 months or so, so I knew this was coming.

Guess I could have a look through my library of old games. Haven't played Skyrim in years, so I might try it out again with some mods. But I'm going to be limited to old stuff for a while.
Could always try some less demanding indie stuff?

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Yeah, I'll have a look around. I haven't always had a great record with a lot of indie games I've tried in the past.

I'm not really into twitchy retro arcadey games and can't stand most arty/interactive story stuff. They need to be quite substantial, slowburning with some indepth systems of some kind. Perhaps there are some indie turn based dungeon crawlers that have appeared recently that I haven't discovered yet...

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Try the Avernum series.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Stardew Valley, if you've not already played it?

There are some good RPGs out there, Underrail supposed to be good although I've not played it. When I'm in front of my desktop later I'll have a look through my library.

Also, if you're able to play Skyrim, recommend checking out the Enderal total conversion mod. It's really good, and free!

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Thank you chaps. I'll look into both of those. Already played Stardew Valley to death!

I don't spend anywhere near as much of my spare time gaming in general these days though compared to 5 or so years back, so this isn't the huge problem it would have been back then. I'll need to decide whether I actually want to spend £150 on a card to play new games or just stick to the old stuff for good from now on.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:17 am

Playing the hell out of Red Dead Redemption 2 online.

Thankfully it is nothing like GTAV online, which is just a whirling chaos of murder. In RDR2 you have the whole game map (which is vast) and lots of stuff to do, and by and large folks leave you to it. In the time I have spent playing (probably now in excess of 30 hours) I have been attacked about 3 times by other players. Even riding into towns where players are being scamps, hog-tying NPCs and killing folks left and right, I am usually ignored and left to go about my day. I have enough mileage now though that I am packing some pretty heavy firepower and people who do want a fight get one.

Spending my time murdering all the wildlife in the game to feed my Trader role, hunting miscreants (NPCs currently) for bounties, and searching out rare collectibles. The vibe of the game is so perfect I just enjoy moseying about getting my cowboy on - love it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 am

After being through the chaos of gta online for so long this sounds appealing. I've got rdr2 but haven't done much with it. Any tips you'd give for the online portion?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:43 am

I was tempted to treat myself to this over Xmas but was put off by all the reviews saying there are lots of technical issues with the PC version - crashing, bugs etc. How have you found it, Snowy (or anyone else who's played it for a decent time)?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:41 am

Rossell wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 am
After being through the chaos of gta online for so long this sounds appealing. I've got rdr2 but haven't done much with it. Any tips you'd give for the online portion?
The first thing you need is gold, this opens up the careers. I pre-ordered so got some gold free which cut out some grind for me, but the careers are a handy source of income. The simplest way to earn it is to do missions, and also hunt down any treasure maps you come across. That said, money is key, as it is money that will buy your weapons. For this, I mosey around the plains slaughtering anything that moves. Pelts and meat can make money reasonably quickly. Initially your weapons won't lend themselves to perfect kills (you start with a cattleman revolver - not the tool of choice for hunting) but you have a lasso, so find 2 or 3-star animals, lasso them and then kill them with your knife to preserve the quality of the pelts. If you mess it up though, still take everything and then offload at the butcher. The hide, antlers, meat etc from a couple of animals will net you around $10 and you can quickly work up to being able to equip yourself better.

You can also take part in the adversarial stuff if you want to, there are lots of competitions be they shooty, hunty, fishy or races (although you need a fishing rod - lvl 14 unlock or a bow - $114 to buy for some of them).

Also, you have no career options to start, but that doesn't mean you can't get involved with some - join a posse of other players and if the posse leader starts a bounty mission or a trade mission you will get rewards and gold. You are welcome to join me and my mate if you want to, add OriginalSnowy to your friends via the social club and you will see when I am on. I have a number of careers and am happy to work to get you set up - hunting sprees where you are the main beneficiary and lots of bounty missions helps pile in the gold and dollars. You can join random posses but obviously might find they are not to your taste - still worth it though I would say. The game improves hugely when you are part of a team.
Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:43 am
I was tempted to treat myself to this over Xmas but was put off by all the reviews saying there are lots of technical issues with the PC version - crashing, bugs etc. How have you found it, Snowy (or anyone else who's played it for a decent time)?
When it launched it was a mess. No getting away from that. Online can have some teething issues, sometimes when you join the game can go into an endless loading sequence but it is rare and a game restart cures it. Other than that, for me it now runs like a dream - Rockstar threw a LOT of money and developer time at fixing it. Ignore the reviews, they are mediocre because of the review bombing that happened at launch. If you haven't played it Sly you are missing out on, in my opinion, the best game I have ever played.

A word on versions - the Ultimate edition, while pricey, gives you amongst other things immediate access to some weapons that you have to buy otherwise, a punchy pistol, varmint rifle for small game hunting, and pump action shotty, a great horse and also accelerates your first 25 levels in online. Some useful quality of life stuff if you are happy to pay more.

Finally two key points. First - use a controller. Playing with controller allows auto-aiming, where your aim snaps to game, enemies etc (centre mass, up to you to fine tune it for those ever-important headshots). M&K means free-aiming - trust me trying to shoot enemies or game from a moving horse in free-aim is sodding impossible. Second, in the options set your movement to horse-relative rather than camera relative - this will allow you to look around while on horseback without your horse following your view.

Any questions or help/hints I have played so much of the game just shout and will be happy to help!
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Much appreciated Snowy, that's a great help. I don't know if rockstar do cross play because I've got the ps4 edition. But I'll have a go with your advice. Cheers mate.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:12 pm

No idea what the community is like on PS4 but having a ball on PC :)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018