Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Maturin

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Maturin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm

Templar Battleforce (got it for a couple of quid on sale)

A delightful Space Hulk/Space Crusade/WH40K top-down tactical mash-up. To say they've borrowed heavily from Games Workshop is putting it mildly. :lol:

Right down to the weapon combinations (power fist and sword, etc), the light/heavy dice, the genestealers, even the lore of space chapters thousands of years old. They just slightly rename everything.

But... they've ended up making probably the best PC incarnation of Space Hulk/Crusade/WH40K money can buy. It also has a lovely stat system and skill-trees, so you can create very different styles to your squad of Space Marines, er.. I mean Templar Knights. Plus respeccing is free.

If you're in any way interested in this sort of thing I highly recommend it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:55 pm

Maturin wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm
Templar Battleforce (got it for a couple of quid on sale)

A delightful Space Hulk/Space Crusade/WH40K top-down tactical mash-up. To say they've borrowed heavily from Games Workshop is putting it mildly. :lol:

Right down to the weapon combinations (power fist and sword, etc), the light/heavy dice, the genestealers, even the lore of space chapters thousands of years old. They just slightly rename everything.

But... they've ended up making probably the best PC incarnation of Space Hulk/Crusade/WH40K money can buy. It also has a lovely stat system and skill-trees, so you can create very different styles to your squad of Space Marines, er.. I mean Templar Knights. Plus respeccing is free.

If you're in any way interested in this sort of thing I highly recommend it.
I actually had a phase a while ago of trying to find a game exactly like that - probably around the time we were playing the forum game - but wasn't wowed by the choices. That sounds interesting though, will check it out.

Edit: Well, I found out why it didn't appear in my searches then... for some reason it was on my ignore list :lol:

No idea how/when that happened, but I've wishlisted it now. It's by the same people who did Star Traders: Frontier which I did enjoy a fair bit, so that's promising.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:25 pm

Yeah, I was also doing lots of searching for tactical top-down stuff in this style for quite a while. As you say, a lot of the other choices don't quite measure up. Glad I finally found it, it really hits the spot.

First couple of missions are tutorials, then it really opens up. It's nicely polished for the price point (although I got it on sale), and has been patched a lot by the developers. Really well-reviewed on Steam too.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 pm

Maturin wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:25 pm
Yeah, I was also doing lots of searching for tactical top-down stuff in this style for quite a while. As you say, a lot of the other choices don't quite measure up. Glad I finally found it, it really hits the spot.

First couple of missions are tutorials, then it really opens up. It's nicely polished for the price point (although I got it on sale), and has been patched a lot by the developers. Really well-reviewed on Steam too.
Ended up buying it, as £7 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, and enjoying it. Fun little game.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Cool. I'm discovering how useful scouts are at the moment. There's over 40 missions apparently so a lot of game in there.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:00 pm

Maturin wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:41 pm
Cool. I'm discovering how useful scouts are at the moment. There's over 40 missions apparently so a lot of game in there.
Do they get better with requisition unlocks? I've just at the point where you revisit your ship and decide which of two possible missions you take on next, and so far have been a bit underwhelmed with scouts.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:05 pm

Actually I haven't got far enough to unlock deeply into their skill tree. I just liked their scanning ability mainly! But yes they are a bit squishy,

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:37 pm

Maturin wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:05 pm
Actually I haven't got far enough to unlock deeply into their skill tree. I just liked their scanning ability mainly! But yes they are a bit squishy,
True enough, that is a useful skill. But there's a point you're told their sniper rifles are useful against certain targets, but so far I've found they do tiddly damage compared to the soldiers' rifles and captain/paladin swords.

But it's about balance, isn't it, and being able to get good vision around an area is useful.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Yeah, I haven't really fully examined what sniper rifles are particularly useful for yet. I'll hopefully have some time to go a bit deeper into things tomorrow and see what I find.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:56 pm

Maturin wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm
Yeah, I haven't really fully examined what sniper rifles are particularly useful for yet. I'll hopefully have some time to go a bit deeper into things tomorrow and see what I find.
Fully on board the scout train now, they're absolute machines. I think more than any other class they take a few upgrades to weapons and abilities before they're viable in an attacking sense. They also seem to arrive geared around light equipment... however if you respec for heavy weapons (via strength) and unlock a couple of better sniper rifles they become deadly.

The only downside is I use them so much for scouting the map and one-shotting enemies from distance their heat maxes out after a few turns and I have to stand them down until it dissipates.

Very much enjoying this btw, right up my alley. Thanks for the recommend :)

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:47 pm

No probs. :)

I've been going down the light weapon route with my scout. Also, making my captain purely defensive melee, it means he can get close up with the hugely powerful grenades, and isn't that vulnerable to enemy melee - even killing them when they attack him. Quite a few different approaches you can take here.

EDIT: I probably should have made a separate thread for this.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:05 am

The developer behind these games has just launched a Kickstarter for their next game which is a cyberpunk XCOM style game.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:41 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:05 am
The developer behind these games has just launched a Kickstarter for their next game which is a cyberpunk XCOM style game.

Saw that yesterday, colour me interested as I've definitely liked both the games of theirs I've played so far.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:33 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:05 am

They funded it inside 12 hours!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/0 ... rpunk-rpg/

Some more info, screenshots etc in the above piece.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:56 pm

I recently got a new laptop that can play games, nothing too fancy mind you. I was looking on my GoG account and I have 3 Stalker games, I'd tried the first before but it was unplayable (buggy mess). Which of the other 2 is worth a look and do they need to be modded?

Cheers