Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Spoiler
Roche. He’s clearly done some nasty things in the name of Temeria, but Iorveth to me is the worst of the two. The oppression of non-humans doesn’t justify what is basically terrorism. Roche at least seems to stand for law and order. Obviously they’re both grey areas though. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:07 pm

It's definitely worth a replay to take the other route (and also to see the alternative second act). I went the same way in my first playthrough for the same reasons, but actually they make a good job of making the other option a sympathetic character when you do so.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:18 pm

I definitely will at some point, but first... it’s Witcher 3 time again. \:D/

It’s been about 18 months since I last competed it and I’m genuinely excited to get stuck in. I didn’t get very far when I had an evening playing it a few months ago so I’ll restart and import my W2 save.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Oxenfree

Inspired by a recent video from Eurogamer that I only watched the first 20 minutes of (not wanting to spoil any more of it) before I turned it off and immediately downloaded the game. It's got a really nice art style, and I enjoyed the characters and voice acting. The spoiler-free stuff is that this is a relatively short (maybe four or five hours worth, I played the entirety of the game today) mystery story where the gameplay consists entirely of moving your character, tuning a radio and choosing from 1-3 voice options when the prompts show up. It doesn't sound very exciting, and perhaps it's better described as an interactive animation than a game. There are niggling little issues, such as the dialogue prompts seemingly disappearing too quickly (if you let them disappear fully you lose the option entirely), meaning Alex was frequently interrupting people, and the movement is a little irritating at points as there doesn't appear to be a run button (your character runs at the whim of the developer) and you occasionally get snagged on a corner.

Anyway, if you read the following spoiler part, you will pretty much ruin the final experience, so I strongly suggest playing the game first. I went into it almost entirely blind, and am so glad that I did because I loved this, and I suspect it's going to stay with me in the same way the ending of Bastion did.
Spoiler
Yeah, I suspected that my dialogue choices were affecting the game, but I was surprised at how much the ending I got affected me. Rewriting Alex's history was a really bitter-sweet ending. This was my ending photo:
I'm guessing that photo changes depending on how the game ends. I ended up saving Michael having convinced him not to leave home, kept Ren and Nona apart and, sadly, alienated Jonas, the character you spend almost the entire game talking to and bonding with. In the end he and Alex never really got to know one another, which was a bit of a gut punch to be honest.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 pm

Recommended this ages ago. Glad someone else has enjoyed it :)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:50 pm

I did look to see whether we'd had a thread on the game, but didn't realise it was as old as it was (2016), meaning that it may have happened back on Preys World.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:59 pm

Why do I get the feeling I have that as free game somewhere...
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:09 pm

When I searched for it there was mention that it had been free on EGS, and possibly GOG.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:58 pm

In my quest to find an indie game that's my cup of tea, I discovered a wonderful roguelike called Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME). It's got tons of depth to its RPG-stat systems and much of the world is randomised, with lots of character classes. Visually, it's perhaps a notch below Witcher3 but it's incredibly addictive:

Spoiler

You start off with 1 life but gain more as you level up, but you start losing those lives as locations get deadlier. I've got a character to around level 20 so far before totally dying, I'm currently trying again with a new character.

The full game is completely free on their website, although you can pay for the Steam version. It's definitely towards the upper end of indie roguelikes when it comes to depth and replayability (waaaaaaay better than Dungeons of Dreadmor).

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Sounds quite good, I've registered and downloaded it (I can play on my work mac!)
-- To be completed at some point --

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 am

After seeing a recent post on here about Grim Dawn (was it Sly?) i picked up the Forgotten Gods xpac and started an oathbreaker character on that, and worked through both forgotten gods and ashes of malmouth.

Grim Dawn really is a fantastic game, and the class balancing is quite supreme - you're often overpowered, but never so much that running into a pack of mobs with the wrong resistances won't mess you up royally.

The last boss on Forgotten Gods is way overtuned though in terms of damage - still working that one out.

I'm about level 60 after clearing normal with the xpacs - i think the core game you used to get to around level 35 or so by endgame if you did most of the quests, so there's quite a bit of additional content.
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:50 am

Uncharted: Lost Legacy

That last level I think is the most fun I've had with a game in years.

The Last of Us

Argh. I'm ashamed to admit I've never finished this which is my task at the moment. It's brilliant, I'm just really crap at it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:20 am

Sekiro

Went back to this over the weekend after putting it down last year due to certain mechanics being a bunch of poo, I'm looking at you Blood Root. Now that I have managed to push that to the side I'm having a bit more fun although I still nearly put it down again. It's not that I find it too difficult it's just the world isn't as engaging as in the Souls games and although the story is less opaque I don't think it is that interesting. I managed to beat Geinchiro yesterday and in total took out around 4 mini-bosses as well so I'm making consistent progress.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Rossell wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:50 am
The Last of Us

Argh. I'm ashamed to admit I've never finished this which is my task at the moment. It's brilliant, I'm just really crap at it.
I gave up. There was one scene where you were in a building and had loads of the zombie-fellas in there with you. I just sucked too hard with the controller to keep pace with what was going on and died repeatedly. Ended up quitting, which was a shame as I had really enjoyed it to that point.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Last of Use has good story and characters, but unfun gameplay. Whenever I think about that game I wonder how I managed to complete it.