Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Snowy
Local

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Snowy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:59 am

God of War

Another mystery game for me this one, I am aware of its existence but that's about all, never read about it and never played it (I don't tend to follow console titles very much). I saw the rave PC reviews yesterday and that was the only reason I knew it had been released. Given my good experiences with Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone I thought I would take a punt. Early days, just fought the first boss type (Baldr I am guessing) but it seems good. Looks lovely, everything is maxed out, and it plays well, plenty of heft. Will report back more in due course.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:00 am

Snowy wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:59 am
God of War

Another mystery game for me this one, I am aware of its existence but that's about all, never read about it and never played it (I don't tend to follow console titles very much). I saw the rave PC reviews yesterday and that was the only reason I knew it had been released. Given my good experiences with Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone I thought I would take a punt. Early days, just fought the first boss type (Baldr I am guessing) but it seems good. Looks lovely, everything is maxed out, and it plays well, plenty of heft. Will report back more in due course.
Yeah, same as you Snowy, never played it but definitely interested in playing this after the reviews. Bit pricey for me right now (plus I'm still playing Odyssey and have a bunch of stuff I bought in the Steam sale still waiting to be played), but it's on my watchlist for sure.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:12 am

CD Keys took the sting out of the price, but that said I haven't bought a new game in a while - Gamepass has saved me a packet in that regard.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:42 am

Mass Effect
Started playing this last week just to see how it held up and I'm now 18 hours in and engrossed. The updated graphics do help a lot, it might still be a bit clunky in places but nothing that takes too much away from the game. I haven't played this properly in well over 10 years so it's almost like a new game to me. The Mako missions still suck balls mind you. The game only really gets going once you manage to get off the Citadel and start dispensing justice to the scum of the galaxy.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:41 pm

Mmmm kinda liking this, even though it has boss fights. Story is nice, well acted, combat is plenty meaty and there are some cool skills to help with it. It feels a lot like the Uncharted series in that you are largely progressing through a linear path, with suitably epic moments. I have even had a couple of real awww fuck moments:
Spoiler
The turtle house
and
Spoiler
The world serpent
Nice to see some proper reading on the subject matter has been done too, all the characters from the Norse pantheon (well, thus far anyhoo) are nicely done.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:48 pm

Avorion

Since I've been on my Surface Pro for the last several weeks, I haven't been doing much gaming. But I did come across this odd game, which is a spaceship-building, mining, pirate-hunting, colonize the galaxy sort of game that has a learning curve approaching Eve Online. It's a cross between Freelancer and Minecraft, visually speaking. It does have multiplayer, so if there's another spaceship-building wonk out there in GA Land, let me know if you wanna give it a go.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:31 pm

Finally finished AC Odyssey. Took me 80 hours, and there's still a vast number of side quests I didn't do - I reached a point around level 50 where I just wanted to complete the main story.

It's very good, probably my favourite AC game. The move to a more RPG-style system suits it, I think - and I certainly never felt like I was having to grind levels to access new areas, if anything the levels came a bit thick and fast and it was hard to keep my favourite gear upgraded to match. The fighting was fun with all the special abilities you can unlock, and I was pleased to get what is apparently the best ending (where you reunite your family).

Overall, highly recommended. Definitely feel like I got value for the £10 I paid for it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:31 pm

Village

Finished it. I think its a solid 3/5 game. Fantastic art direction, some great visuals and sound design but the game just feels clunky as all hell. Really like the end credits song, I thought it was Julie Christmas at first but a Polish lass.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:51 pm

Alan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:31 pm
Village

Finished it. I think its a solid 3/5 game. Fantastic art direction, some great visuals and sound design but the game just feels clunky as all hell. Really like the end credits song, I thought it was Julie Christmas at first but a Polish lass.
I played it nonstop before Christmas and was loving it. I didn't play it for 2 weeks over the Christmas and now can't get back into it at all. Could be that the last area in the game is pretty dull compared to what came previously.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:19 pm

Division 2

The best Ubisoft game in a long time, don't matter if you prefer solo play or not the map is dense full of secrets extremely varied does not become tiresome when it comes to exploring - world and combat are both amazing; I've had great sessions in a duo in a group in raids and making my way from floor 1 to 100 in summit highest I reached was 97 when I got disconnected :-({|= Random requests to help other operators at any given time unaware of what situation you will find yourself in becomes addictive, more often than not other players will reward you with high tier gear for your helpful service. One player dropped me a chest piece I had been grinding for for countless hours, much salute to that guy.

For me, it's close to the ultimate coop experience nothing you do doesn't get rewarded in some form the amount of loot and how you can mod everything you own is all kinds of crazy, high-grade content multiple huge maps player base is friendly and as I said rewards its own for assistance. One of those games you can't wait to jump on in the evenings.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:59 pm

I bounced off Division 2 pretty hard. I played a lot of the original and enjoyed it, with a lot of the same kind of benefits as you outline. I picked up D2 for about £1.50 but the setting was nowhere near as evocative for me personally and it was too much just a new map with the original game replayed on it.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:10 pm

I played a good bit of D2 and enjoyed it but yeah I didn't like the setting at all. The first game had a much more interesting and grim setting, do wish it had a proper single player campaign though.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:17 pm

I felt like I was just walking and walking and walking in the second and I really enjoyed the first game. I seem to recall not liking the changes to the skill system too. :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:46 pm

Dungeon design in Division 2 was leagues above anything they did in the first game, some of the best content of that type I've ever played. The snow was more evocative but the second game had more variety to it's environments I think.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:46 pm

Rainbow 6 Extraction
Played one round and completely bounced off it unfortunately, just not my thing. The utterly straight faced way they present the plots of Tom Clancy games is bizarre, makes them more ridiculous. Might give it another go later then give it the boot. If nothing else Game Pass is wonderful for saving money on not buying shite games.