Steam, Deals & More.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 am

Alan wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:39 am
Medium
Its a bit tedious. Its almost a point and click adventure mixed with silent hill but so far its just drawn out "puzzles" that break any atmosphere it's built up. Theres a scene in a funeral home at the start that could have really been quite nice if you werent tasked with busy work finding items in the world when they could have put that time more into dealing with the body which might have been more effective than just being annoyed. The gimick of split worlds seems to just be navigate to the spirit battery in spirit world and use spirit battery to power thing which powers thing in real world. Its not great so far, very ropey. I'll give it a wee while longer and if it doesnt pick up I'll ditch it.

Also the split screen thing kills my old card, never drops from 100% load and it doesnt even look that great! :cry:
Going to have to agree with this. Played a bit on Game Pass after thinking it looked quite promising, but I've not yet made it to the hotel that forms the main part of the game, and I'm already bored shitless :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:55 am

Meanwhile, I have been having some fun with Ni No Kuni 2. It's basically a JRPG with real-time rather than turn-based combat, which suits me as I really dislike the traditional JRPG combat. But the real selling point is the aesthetic - it's basically like playing a Studio Ghibli cartoon, which has mesmerised my kids who have started to throw wobblies if they find me playing it without them :lol:.

The story is perhaps a bit twee, but the kingdom-building mechanic is a nice addition, while strategic skirmish-style missions aren't particularly challenging but are a welcome change of pace. Overall, recommended.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:28 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:55 am
Meanwhile, I have been having some fun with Ni No Kuni 2. It's basically a JRPG with real-time rather than turn-based combat, which suits me as I really dislike the traditional JRPG combat. But the real selling point is the aesthetic - it's basically like playing a Studio Ghibli cartoon, which has mesmerised my kids who have started to throw wobblies if they find me playing it without them :lol:.

The story is perhaps a bit twee, but the kingdom-building mechanic is a nice addition, while strategic skirmish-style missions aren't particularly challenging but are a welcome change of pace. Overall, recommended.
I really enjoyed playing Ni No Kuni 2, had a nice variety of things to do and I liked a lot of the characters.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:22 pm

I looked on Steam. 70 quid for a two year old game..!!! Then I looked at CDkeys - a tenner. That's better :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:22 pm

A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:22 pm

Nier:Automata
Install...play for an hour...uninstall...cry because you'll never get that hour back.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:42 pm

That bad?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:57 pm

To me, yes. I just can't get on with Japanese games so I might not be the best judge of a game like this. The shite plot, woeful voice acting and constant camera angle changes made me hate it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:52 pm

It's not the smoothest gameplay until you get used to it, but I thought it had a great plot.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:53 am

It has a really rough start and I nearly gave up as well but persevered and had a decent time with it. I'm not as enamoured with it as most people who have played it are, if you are going to want a player to play through your game multiple times to see the full story you need to make better gameplay. Combat became too repetitive fairly quickly I thought.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:57 am

It’s the most PS2 ass game I’ve played since the PS2. The invisible walls everywhere just infuriated me.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:01 pm

I felt like playing something shootery and RPGish so reinstalled Far Cry 5 yesterday to see if it had improved over time. Not really, it's probably one of the weakest of the series and just doesn't feel right. Too much effort went into trying to make it dark and edgy I think and not enough into making it fun. It's by no means a bad game just not a very good one either. Graphics and the map itself are very pretty, I strangely enjoy the fishing and pulling off an undetected base takedown is fun. The Arcade bit is also a brilliant idea. On the whole it just feels very flat and uninspired.

Hope FC 6 is going to be something more inspired, be nice not to be constantly attacked by the wildlife for a start. I witnessed an armed npc getting murdered by a turkey, I refused to revive him out of disgust..

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:28 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:01 pm
I felt like playing something shootery and RPGish so reinstalled Far Cry 5 yesterday to see if it had improved over time. Not really, it's probably one of the weakest of the series and just doesn't feel right. Too much effort went into trying to make it dark and edgy I think and not enough into making it fun. It's by no means a bad game just not a very good one either. Graphics and the map itself are very pretty, I strangely enjoy the fishing and pulling off an undetected base takedown is fun. The Arcade bit is also a brilliant idea. On the whole it just feels very flat and uninspired.

Hope FC 6 is going to be something more inspired, be nice not to be constantly attacked by the wildlife for a start. I witnessed an armed npc getting murdered by a turkey, I refused to revive him out of disgust..
Can I strongly recommend the extraordinarily, amazing, full of replayability and utterly excellent Gunfire Reborn? :D

At the price I don't think anyone can possibly go wrong with it! I love the damn game, and every game plays differently!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:27 am

Finished Uncharted 4: A Thieves End yesterday. I must say this is one of the most beautiful looking games I've played yet, some of the environments are just jaw dropping. I do hope Sony releases these on PC someday like they did with Horizon Zero Dawn.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Dicey Dungeons

It's currently less than £4 on Steam. Buy it, you fools. Buy it now!

Seriously, if you drew any enjoyment at all from something like Slay the Spire this will be right up your alley.