Guacamelee! 2 [PC, PS4]

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Guacamelee! 2 [PC, PS4]

Post by Alan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Guacamelee was, for me, the best Metroidvania that didn’t have Castlevania in the title. Goes without saying I’m really looking forward to this! A shame it’s not on vita like the first but I need to accept the far too soon death of that beautiful machine.

If you preorder on PSN you get a nice discount down to £12.79 which if it’s half the game the first was is an absolute steal!

Drinkbox haven’t made a bad game yet so I expect good things!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: Guacamelee 2 - out tomorrow PSN/Steam

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:56 pm

No Vita version? Booooo. :(

Still on the radar though. Loved the first game. Looking forward to see what they've done with the sequel.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:37 pm

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:46 pm

I've never played the original so decided to give it a look on Game Pass, it's pretty good fun so far, I like the Mario tribute at the end of the Temple.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:20 am

The original is pretty good if you can look past all the internet nonsense in there. Some of the platforming gets a bit brutal later on as well if I remember correctly.

RPS WIT on the sequel...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... -2-review/

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:45 am

I picked it up last night and will have a badger at it over the weekend :)

Really enjoyed the first one. Nice platforming/humour and aye that one area did make me want to rage at the screen for a bit >.>
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:46 pm

I have had several hours into it and the best thing to say it's more of the same as the first one. And just as frustrating but really good value for the price :)

Does have some weird issue where the game slows down for no apparent reasons but last only a few seconds then it's gone. No idea what is causing it as it's not really going to tax anyones pc for playing it.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm

So I absolutely LOVED the first one of these games. Played it monstrously when I first got it and even reinstalled it a few months ago for a replay.

Which must have been karma as the steam game showed up a few days after. So I added it to my wish list.

And then when it came out last week and I had a 10% off for owning the original I picked up the sequel.

And it's bloody, viciously brilliant.

Not really different from the first one.

But just as fun, just as creative, and some of the puzzles are just fiendishly difficult.

I ploughed way too many hours into it these last few days and just finished it this evening! 😁

Seriously - there's so many good metroidvania games out there right now, and we're really lucky. But the guacamelee games have noooo trouble standing out. And rightfully so.

Only thing that annoyed me was the number of cutscenes at the start. After that though it's plain sailing! and lots of references and cheese from other games baked in.

Next: hard mode!!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Just beaten it today as well. Roller coaster of emotions from giddy highs to rage and wanting to smash something for failing something for the 20th time in a row :lol:

Going to skip the hard mode just for the sake of my blood pressure though.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:11 pm

I’ve only played till a bit after frog splash because of some family stuff this week but I utterly love this game. The level design gives me such a grin when you see what they’ve come up with and it’s so satisfying when you nail the platforming.

Part of me thinks I might like this series more than castlevania and that it’s pure nostalgia holding it at number one. The combats better, the platformings better, the exploration is more fun. The only real thing I can put Castlevania 100% on top is the music. Am I crazy? :-k

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:20 pm

I muted the music to the game not that long into it myself and left foobar playing other music instead. Think that fucked up some of the cutscenes as it was silent in each of them.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:17 pm

The musics fine and I like gow it changes in the land of the dead but it’s not Bloody Tears or anything ;)

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am

I was really enjoying the original game up until I reached a point lastnight where there was a combat arena that I just hated. It's the one where there are blades on the ground and you have to fly from side to side popping the green heads that explode after a certain amount of time. Despite pressing the buttons in exactly the same way every time, sometimes I fly across the room and sometimes the character lets go of the wall and falls to his death. I must have been trying it for 20 minutes lastnight without success.

Lee

Re: Guacamelee! 2 [PC, PS4]

Post by Lee » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:30 pm

I've put that down to maybe my poor use at gamepads but there is certainly times where you are holding up and trying to do the uppercut and the game does the headbutt instead. Mostly when you're in some really tricky area. I know the d-pad on the ps4 is mushy so thought it was just that being at fault as well.

There is a one part that has the yellow zippy things and combat right next to instant death stuff. You're trying to grab the enemy to hit into it but instead you end up zipping off to your death instead. Very annoying and something that should be separate buttons.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Guacamelee! 2 [PC, PS4]

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 pm

It's definitely not my poor use of buttons, it's the controls not being sharp enough to be used in that way. There needs to be a bigger window between pushing away from the wall and being able to push Y before the character lets go of the wall.