Strudel

Re: Favourite Games

Post by Strudel » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:10 pm
Strudel wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Anachronox
This is definitely my wildcard entry, but I loved this game when I borrowed it from a friend. I loved the wacky humour and crazy hijinx. I was so happy when GoG finally released it, though of course it doesn't stand up to the test of time when things have progressed so much. It was a flawed game in a lot of ways, but great fun for me at the time I originally played it.

Witcher 3
I love a good RPG and this was a game changer. Before it, I enjoyed Elder Scrolls and Fallout but before reaching the end of the main story arch I would tire of the game and give up. Not Witcher 3. I loved every moment of it, even if I was just spending a free half hour enjoy a stroll through the immense land they had created. I really can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077. I just hope it doesn't go all Deus Ex 2 on me.
*high fives Strudel*
I know right? We are both Totes On The Money.

I don't feel I can adequately express what a game changer Witcher 3 was for me. Playing Fallout 4 last year after they fixed some of the ridiculous bugs and I couldn't help but thinking "If this had come out before Witcher 3 I probably would have enjoyed it, but now, it's just a poor substitute, several years behind the times."

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Strudel wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:22 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:10 pm
Strudel wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Anachronox
This is definitely my wildcard entry, but I loved this game when I borrowed it from a friend. I loved the wacky humour and crazy hijinx. I was so happy when GoG finally released it, though of course it doesn't stand up to the test of time when things have progressed so much. It was a flawed game in a lot of ways, but great fun for me at the time I originally played it.

Witcher 3
I love a good RPG and this was a game changer. Before it, I enjoyed Elder Scrolls and Fallout but before reaching the end of the main story arch I would tire of the game and give up. Not Witcher 3. I loved every moment of it, even if I was just spending a free half hour enjoy a stroll through the immense land they had created. I really can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077. I just hope it doesn't go all Deus Ex 2 on me.
*high fives Strudel*
I know right? We are both Totes On The Money.

I don't feel I can adequately express what a game changer Witcher 3 was for me. Playing Fallout 4 last year after they fixed some of the ridiculous bugs and I couldn't help but thinking "If this had come out before Witcher 3 I probably would have enjoyed it, but now, it's just a poor substitute, several years behind the times."
Yep. W3 didn't so much raise the bar as build a completely new one. I can't of another game where every single quest, no matter how small or minor, is given such care and attention all contributing to a huge sense of place practically unseen anywhere else. It's near-ruined me for other RPGs, how can I enjoy Skyrim's 'go here, get that, bring it back' quests after playing W3?

Anachronox's story got me as well. I bounced off it pretty hard the first time I tried it, then some years later in a moment of boredom in terms of new games I reinstalled it to give it another try, but this time got properly invested in all the characters and got to see more of the humour (literally lol-ing at stuff like their escape from planet Sunder when they're marooned for weeks, or having an entire planet as a party-character), and was particularly touched by his secretary's back-story. It's as ugly as sin (it always was, really) but I love it anyway.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 am

Yeah, TW3 is up there with my favourites as well. Gave me a good 100 or so hours of fun if including the expansions, which were amazing their own right. It also prompted me to read all the books that have been translated to English. I still haven't managed to progress far in the first game (or even play the second one) though.

I should also mention obvious candidates such as Deus Ex and the Total War games. I think the series peaks were at Rome 1, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2. I still haven't actually got round to playing the Warhammer ones. I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned Medieval 2 though - it's basically just Rome 1 but in Medieval times with loads of cool units etc.

Lee

Post by Lee » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:39 am

X-com UFO defense

That game started off my love for turn based strategy games. Making you feel like you're running an actual defense of Earth from Aliens by making you micro manage everything right down to ordering in the ammo for guns. Paying salaries for all that is involved in running the base/research/manufacturing beside your trusty soldiers.

The ability to research into everything about the Aliens to find actual ways to combat the various species better, copying their technological advances to make your own versions. And of course how to find a way to beat them overall. All done with really informative descriptions when even dissecting the Aliens.

Ah the Aliens themselves were nice ranging from the mundane little grey Aliens (Sectoids) all the way to the serious pain in the arse Ethereal . To the panic inducing Chryssalid which could infest levels with an army of themselves in no time from the innocent civilians and even your own troops.

I still to this day dip into this game since it release in 1994/95. I have spent time trying to get into the newer X-coms but they just don't get what the originals was about from cutting out the interesting parts to make the games quicker, right down to the actual combat parts. Wasn't helped by the bugs and enemies spawning on you either ](*,)

Doom2

BOOM clink clink snap BOOM! From the double barrel shotgun. Still playing this game with trying out various mods still being made to this day. Truly timeless classic :twisted:

I'd love if the new Doom title had this level of modding capabilities in it.

Freespace 1&2

Love these old school flight shoot em ups that I've re bought them on all on Steam and GOG.

Nice missions variants. Loved the debreifing between missions and customising your hud was also a really nice touch (wish all games would let you do that). Nothing was as daunting when you came up towards the battleships in the game and got a real sense of how tiny you were to ships miles long with weapons that could easily take your ship out in one hit.

First time coming across the GTVA Colossus and flying along it's length has stuck with me for a long time in my memory. As with the reveal of the Shivan's counterpart the Sathanas.

And with Volition giving out the source code long ago. There is a lot of new graphical tech being retrofitted to the game with added in new mods covering even the latest BSG series. Do wish they had the older TV shows models myself to choose from :)

Just keeping the list to 3 here but these 3 have my fondest of memories and that I still play today.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.