Nintendo Game and Watch

Steam, Deals & More.
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Nintendo Game and Watch

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:48 pm

After a lengthy session digging about up the loft I managed to turn up a pile of old Game and Watches I had long thought lost. So I thought I'd whip them out and show you all. Forgive my over indulgence and the hundreds of photos.

Donkey Kong is inexplicably fucked. Although it stills works it is missing the metal front panel and the overlays around the controls etc. I have no idea how it got in such condition, it's a mystery lost to time I suppose. I would also appear to be missing a couple more G&W's too. Donkey Kong II and the single screen Mario's Cement Factory and Donkey Kong Jr still allude me in that Aladdin's cave of a attic. I shall keep looking though.

Of course as usual with these things the battery cover is unsurprisingly missing on all of them, which is a bit of a bummer. But have no fear, one fruit juice bottle lid and a craft knife later combined with my mad MacGyver skills and we have rustled up a solution.

If you are interested bigger pics are at the link below as I didn't want to drown you all in Game and Watch photos...

https://imgur.com/a/TX9zXxS

Anyone else have any of these lying about that you'd like to share with the class? I'd love to see them if you have.

There is also an unofficial collectors guide book that I have long since coveted. Although at first it was in German and then when they did translate it it was sadly far too expensive for me. Although I am tempted by their so called 'sale' price at the moment. :-k

http://www.gameandwatch.at/preview-sc-en.html

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Nintendo Game and Watch

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Some of those look really nice and they are worth a few bob or two.

I wouldn't sell them personally.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:50 pm

I had Mario Bros! Fucking loved that game; no idea what happened to it though - my dad probably threw it out at some point when I was doing my undergrad, or maybe if I'm lucky it's buried in a box in the loft somewhere still.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Mario Bros was one of those last day of school games for me. I was so jealous of the kids that brought it in that I had to have it.

I saved all the coppers I could get my hands on, half pennies and all and eventually trotted up the town, via the bank of course, and got it. Happy days.

Seeing my youngest playing it after school yesterday brought back so many memories.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:15 pm

I had that first one! My sister had a different one, but none of the above seem familiar… My memory is total gobshite though.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:05 pm

For a second I thought Nintendo had launched a twitch competitor with a brilliant name.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm

:lol:

It's the service that would not only be brilliantly named but also heartbreaking at the same time when you realise its just a twitch competitor.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:14 pm

I also had the TomyTronic 3D racing game which was The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:42 pm

Agreed. Prior to that I used to have some electronic pool game called Bank Shot and I used to think that was as cutting edge as we could get until I seen that TomyTronic stuff. My tiny mind was blown!

I had one with Sharks if memory serves. They were indeed the bollocks. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm

It's the service that would not only be brilliantly named but also heartbreaking at the same time when you realise its just a twitch competitor.
Before I opened this thread I thought Nintendo was going for some 'Netflix and chill'-style vibe :lol:

Only more voyeuristic, obviously. :?

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Nothing says Nintendo to me more than a bit of voyeurism. I should probably edit the title to avoid confusion, but sadly I cannot of anything beyond 'the shit from the 80s not a twitch thing'

It's a tad long winded I feel. I may workshop it a bit at work tonight. Then again I probably wont as I cant be arsed. :)

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm
Medicine Man wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Before I opened this thread I thought Nintendo was going for some 'Netflix and chill'-style vibe :lol:

Only more voyeuristic, obviously. :?
I think you'll find that's Nintendogging.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:47 pm

NintenDoMii
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:21 pm

I remember being quite confused when I was bought the only one of these that I owned, Mario's Cement Factory, when I couldn't find the watch in the package. Where was the bit I put on my wrist?

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:30 pm

My memory of Cement Factory was that it had a little wire stand that pulls out from the rear, but a giant wrist strap would be excellent.

Nintendogging, brilliant! It conjures up so many vivid images in the mind. To Deviantart!