The Random Gaming Videos Thread

Steam, Deals & More.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: The Random Gaming Videos Thread

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:21 pm

Been a while since I dropped one of these here.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:01 pm

We got talking about the death of the Tribes series over on discord, rewatching this review makes the fact that Ascend and its community were both ultimately treated so poorly by the developers, well it all stings that little bit more and makes me wonder what could have been. There is still a very tiny community playing, but nothing will ever match the game as it was in its heyday and it truly was an online era all unto itself that no other multiplayer game can come close to scratching that particular itch today. As difficult as it is not to be bitter as to how it all ended, I'm just happy I was a part of it.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:05 pm

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:53 pm

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:23 pm

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:27 am

OK I give up, what's the objective for DMZ? Just to survive? Just to get kills? Scoring?
-- To be completed at some point --

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:12 pm

At the start of the video you will see the missions I had selected...

You can choose allocated ones during preload, or you can of course pick up random missions via little radios spread about across the map that will give you an objective to complete somewhere on the map on the fly. With a solid ping system in play, any team member can spot a mission or enemy for the rest of the team to head to and another payer can add a secondary visual ping as a recognised directive. You can get through an entire session with zero comms very well if you are all on board with this system. Some of the bosses that appear can take every ounce of ammo and combined gadgets you have to actually take down and having an ammo box or armour plate box are essential along with placing them in just the right place at the right time.

I know it may make me look a little bit of a wuss with a thermal scope, the odds are so stacked against you in this mode you sometimes only have a very small window of time to react, especially when a single solo enemy can deplete your armour plating by 90% in no time at all. A small group of them can be instant death.

Survival, kills and scoring are all priorities obviously and all add to your final XP tally and rewards, with the enemies set to the very highest difficulty from the campaign ensuring you are plated up at all times is paramount, not only different tier enemies and spawning bosses but other enemy squads who can rob you of everything from money to your weapon which then becomes contraband and can be used by them in all future sessions until they fail to eventually exfil and lose the item. I had one guy's pretty amazing custom weapon for three sessions once and was gutted when I finally lost it. More importantly, if you do fail to exfil with your team in time you will lose your own custom weapon for a good chunk of time, so if you feel like still playing you can enter the map with either no weapon until you pick up an enemies or use any previous contraband weapon until you gain enough cash to buy your loadout at a buy.

I know it gets compared to Tarkov and it is in some form at least - a very concentrated take on it perhaps where tight orchestrated team play and constant communication every step are all key to getting in, around and back out alive and with a complete team. Other teams tend to set up ambushes at exfil points so even if you are close to getting out you can have to fight both incoming enemies and other players who will climb into the chopper and take you out with only seconds left on the countdown. Having two smoke cannisters in tow can really make the difference here.

Basically, I have not played the actual War Zone 2.0 br mode once since DMZ was introduced I have such fun with it and it's always a buzz to end with a successful exfil with all of your team still intact, the rewards are pretty good too incidentally you don't even need the games battlepass to claim many of them.

Hope some of that helps a little.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:37 pm

Spot on, ta.

I wasn't sure if any PvP went on but sounds like it does too.
-- To be completed at some point --

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:09 pm

I had a quick go on the PS5 earlier. If I'm honest I it did just to test my connection as I'm getting horrendous lag on BF2042 on Xbox making it unplayable.

Started up Warzone with 2 randos in a squad. I just followed the other 2 about and occasionally dropped the odd enemy. I wandered off on my own and was ambushed by an AI and my squad mates either couldn't get to me or weren't bothered so I died. The AI actually walked up and finished me off. My ping shot up to 999 at one point so there's something fucky going on my end.

I'll give it another go later maybe on solo so I can go at my own pace.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:20 pm

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:53 pm

To play a new demo.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:20 pm

Anything that requires you to log into another account outside Steam or Game Pass gets uninstalled immediately. Warhammer games are notorious for this shit.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:11 pm

What with all the recent talk of it I had to revisit - and as the video will clearly emphasise that I forgot just how brutal the games at times devious enemy placement and lack of armour/healthpacks could make the experience. I actually did struggle to get through it, it wasn't just for show.

That music and general ambience in the first section are both still a big fat W \:D/ =D>

Here's to another twenty years of me reminding you all how much I love the game. Woo. -_-

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:41 pm

And here's to another 20 of me agreeing with you.

Always assuming I've got 20 left ofc
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:27 pm

Not a fan of reloading your weapon I notice -_-