Dead Cells

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Dead Cells

Post by Alan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Well this is incredibly moreish. Even when I get annoyed after an incredibly catastrophic run and swear off it I start feeling the need to give it another quick go soon after.

The movement feels great, the combat is fast and satisfying, the weapon selection is massive, enemies fun and varied, the graphics and animation are real nice. It’s a damn shame that all this goodness is trapped in a rogue lite. Don’t get me wrong, I’m clearly enjoying playing it but there’s always thing pang of “man if this was a metroidvania.....”. I don’t even think it does a randomised map nearly as good as Rogue Legacy, though it does do the combat way better.

In the end it’s a game about grinding, very enjoyable grind but grinding all the same. I don’t think it holds a candle to Guacamelee 2 in the best platformer stakes but I seem to be alone in this the gushing that Dead Cells seems to be getting.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Dead Cells

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Dead Cells has been one of my favourite games from the past few years. It's just so incredibly tight in the way it controls that every run is just a joy to play no matter how far you get.

I don't think it belongs in a similar category to the Guacamelee series as it is a roguelike more than a Metroidvania type game. I certainly think the combat of Dead Cells is streets ahead of that of Guacamelee, but the platforming in Dead Cells isn't really a challenge like it is in Guacamelee. Ultimately I think they are trying to do different things.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:20 pm

This one's definitely for me, but I've put a halt on games buying until I've at least tried some of the other stuff I've bought this year.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:33 pm

I put their combat o fairly similar level. DS is all about mastering timing and not much about skills where G2 is not much about timing but mastering your skills.

I’m just getting a real tired running through the first areas. I kind of wish it would let you start later but maybe lock timed doors and don’t allow rune collection.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:09 pm

So perfect doors, where are they then? Or is that something that’s not made it to console versions yet? :-k