Baldur's gate 3 coming

Steam, Deals & More.
Alm

Baldur's gate 3 coming

Post by Alm » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 pm

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/baldurs-gate ... pparently/

If this is true I should give 1 & 2 a crack. I'm sure a few people here have experience with them, are they worth playing? I know they had a great reputation but do they still hold up?

The Jackal

Re: Baldur's gate 3 coming

Post by The Jackal » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Better late than never, I guess.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:10 am

Sometimes never is better.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:29 am

Alm wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 pm
I'm sure a few people here have experience with them, are they worth playing? I know they had a great reputation but do they still hold up?
Yep!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:05 am

Absolutely worth playing. If you never played them originally then it's probably a good idea to start with Beamdog's remastered versions. They've been on sale in various Steam and Gog sales for a fiver or so each in recent times, could be worth holding on for the next one of those.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Alan wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:10 am
Aye. Will see what is being done with it but after all the big disappointments lately of trying to recapture the past, really not holding my breath.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:16 am

Lee wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:07 pm
Alan wrote:
Aye. Will see what is being done with it but after all the big disappointments lately of trying to recapture the past, really not holding my breath.
I meant "better playing BG1 and 2 late than never" - what with the "well this was big in The Day and there's a reboot so I guess I better get in on this PFQ" vibe of the OP.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:20 am

I took Alan's post about Baldurs Gate 3 news, as best to leave it as it is with the 2 games. Not your's, The Jackal about replaying the 2 games. I still dabble in them from time to time for old kicks.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 am

I really wanted to get into this series, 17 years ago I guess, and I tried several times, but I just never could: no aspect of the game, be it graphics, interface or internal mechanics felt right. The only thing that really intrigued me was the story.

Problem was, I had already been used to Fallout 1 & 2, which I played frequently between 1999-2001, then Arcanum came along and showed how a fantasy CRPG could be made using the same system as Fallout, and as far as I was concerned, nothing else could compete.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:35 am

Baldurs Gate 2 is my most played computer game and I still rate it as the best RPG of all time. Played through it to completion several times over the years, including late last year. BG1 I think I only replayed fully once or twice.

It'll be interesting where they take the levelling system in this - I always preferred BG2's range of level's in combat to Throne of Bhaal, where spells/skills were overpowered to the max and a lot of weapons became redundant. I felt it lost the perfect balance of BG2 somehow. That and the fact the game was largely linear after the wonderful openness of the previous games.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 am

D&D goes silly after level 6 in my opinion. Low level D&D is always the best as you have that balance between medieval combat still being effective and monsters and magic being scary.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am

Alan wrote:
Yep. The genre has moved on and I don't think trying to make another Baldurs Gate now is a wise decision. There were things about BG that were not great at the time which would be even worse now, mainly to do with translating DnD rules to a video game.

What is it from BG that people want in a new game? Is it the characters the story or the setting that resonates and people want to see more of? I'm a huge an of the first two games and whilst I loved the world and characters that came with it I don't have any real desire to see more of it. I think the time for a BG 3 has passed.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:37 pm

PoE with better writing and Boo.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:14 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am
What is it from BG that people want in a new game? Is it the characters the story or the setting that resonates and people want to see more of? I'm a huge an of the first two games and whilst I loved the world and characters that came with it I don't have any real desire to see more of it. I think the time for a BG 3 has passed.
Yeah, the BG story is done, and the only reason to give another game the BG name is to make it sell. I guess they could do an entirely new story that has links to the Bhaalspawn plot, but is that really necessary?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:21 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:14 am
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am
Yeah, the BG story is done, and the only reason to give another game the BG name is to make it sell. I guess they could do an entirely new story that has links to the Bhaalspawn plot, but is that really necessary?
I think it should be a prequel exploring the mysterious space hamster origins of Minsc's pet companion. And also call it Booldur's Gate.